Thread: L36a inductor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

L36a inductor

Seems most agree on the benefits of recapping the x-overs but no one mentions replacing the 2 mH coil.
    I`m replacing the original caps for some Solens so should I bother with the inductor while I`m at it?
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Seems most agree on the benefits of recapping the x-overs but no one mentions replacing the 2 mH coil.
    I`m replacing the original caps for some Solens so should I bother with the inductor while I`m at it?
    TIA
    Capacitors are generally replaced as they can dry out and the values can change.

Coils are basically just turns of wire - they don't generally fail or change value.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Capacitors are generally replaced as they can dry out and the values can change.

Coils are basically just turns of wire - they don't generally fail or change value.
    True, but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile changing out what appears to be an iron core coil to an air core or a fancy Hepta Litz, both seem rather pricey too.
    I guess I`ll leave well enough alone, for now...

Hi Mike

A few years back, I overhauled a pair of N2400 crossovers and replaced the original small 20ga iron core coils with 18ga Erse I-Bar iron core coils. And I did notice an improvement in how the 030 system sounded at high volume levels. No real difference at low volume levels, but noticeably cleaner at high levels. So, I would think that upgrading to air core coils would be even better. My recommendation would be to choice a fairly heavy gauge air core coil, so that the DC resistance closely matches that of the original iron core coil. An ERSE 2.0mH 14 AWG Perfect Layer Inductor (Partsexpress # 266-370) would be my choice for such a project.

Baron030

Quote Originally Posted by Baron030 View Post
    Hi Mike

A few years back, I overhauled a pair of N2400 crossovers and replaced the original small 20ga iron core coils with 18ga Erse I-Bar iron core coils. And I did notice an improvement in how the 030 system sounded at high volume levels. No real difference at low volume levels, but noticeably cleaner at high levels. So, I would think that upgrading to air core coils would be even better. My recommendation would be to choice a fairly heavy gauge air core coil, so that the DC resistance closely matches that of the original iron core coil. An ERSE 2.0mH 14 AWG Perfect Layer Inductor (Partsexpress # 266-370) would be my choice for such a project.

Baron030
    Good info Baron, thanks. I guess what you experienced can be attributed to less saturation at elevated volumes, correct?

Yes !

I would have to say that original small 20 ga iron coils did saturate.

Baron030

Thread Information