Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 1200 Array

I removed some of the padding from Rob's Be network as I found I like the horn a bit more "present"
    I was wondering about if you would change it. How much did you take off??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'm getting numerous requests for a functional network for the 1500AL and 476BE with H4338 horn. I haven't had time to work up a new one. Besides, it really matters how it is specifically being used, these parts are too good to settle with a generic version.

Still haven't had time to finish up the CC 1400 Array network either.

I did manage to move these things into a listening room after moving the 1200 Arrays out. I definitely do not like their bulk. And they're just stupid heavy...
    Hi 4313B,

Any measurements of the nice speakers, or any more data.

Regards
    Ivica

Hi JuniorJBL,

Yes, I know that, and just because of that, I have some 'hesitation' about the behavior of the such networks under not to loud use, where the peak voltage is under 0.5V.

Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post

Rob
    Hi Rob
    I am not home this weekend but will get the number as soon as I am. I wana say I removed about 3 ohms from the mid and 2 ohms from the high but will review my notes tomorrow.
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi JuniorJBL,

Yes, I know that, and just because of that, I have some 'hesitation' about the behavior of the such networks under not to loud use, where the peak voltage is under 0.5V.

Regards
    Ivica
    I am not in the know about that, just that others here more knowing than I say it works just fine.

Obsolete
    Heavy but............ I bet they sound REALLY good though!! They sure would be fun to play with.
    I like the single low frequency design better from a visual perspective.

I have one last iteration to try after this, the version Greg said he would implement if he had it all to do over.
    I removed some of the padding from Rob's Be network as I found I like the horn a bit more "present"
    I had the opposite problem. I ended up just putting some L-Pads in and dialing those down.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I like the single low frequency design better from a visual perspective.

I have one last iteration to try after this, the version Greg said he would implement if he had it all to do over.
    I had the opposite problem. I ended up just putting some L-Pads in and dialing those down.
    Hello 4313B,

Looking at the picture you have sent us, I wonder (neglecting esthetic effect, but just technical ) is it better to use a smaller upper driver, say 12-onch (or even 10inch), as I can expect that would be a "better" candidate for the upper mid-range, and the VF driver would be more 'relaxed' operating from , say about 1kHz.

Some of your measurements would be interesting to be seen.

Regards
    Ivica

Obsolete
    Looking at the picture you have sent us, I wonder (neglecting esthetic effect, but just technical ) is it better to use a smaller upper driver, say 12-onch (or even 10inch), as I can expect that would be a "better" candidate for the upper mid-range, and the VF driver would be more 'relaxed' operating from , say about 1kHz.
    The components are what they are. There is a bit of backstory behind it that I don't care to go into at this time (there were discussions of tens or twelves in the mix). Just think of them as a fifteen-inch version of a K2-S5800 or M9500 or S9500?

I guess I'll find out if the "single fifteen in a small box going straight to the vertically oriented horn" ends up being the best implementation. The large single fifteen boxes that preceeded these dual fifteen boxes were also "28 Hz" boxes. The small single fifteen boxes are "35 Hz" boxes, still reasonably respectable for a wide variety of material. All the Everest II boxes are "31.5 Hz" boxes.

F--k Harmon , we have you and Guido . As long as you and the other really clever beggers are still here , the JBL legacy is never far from the mix . Great project D ,thanks for taking the time to keep us in the loop .

Best , Rich

Rob
    Rob

R19 was 1 ohm and I removed R20. My hearing is not quite what it used to be.

I think it would be better to do what 4313b said and add the Lpads.

Thanks , L pads are a good idea beats the hell out of doing resistor swaps when you are dialing things in.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Obsolete
    Thanks , L pads are a good idea beats the hell out of doing resistor swaps when you are dialing things in.
    Yeah... that's gets real boring real fast, lol.

Obsolete
    G.T. finally put his "1200 Arrays" (sans 1500AL subwoofers) up for sale last month. They were preferred "local pickup only" and he didn't want them on eBay, Craig's list, Audiogon, etc. Several buyers were found immediately but only one was close enough to G.T. to capitalize on the offer that very day.

Since then, numerous people have contacted me with respect to building their own versions (there was a similar flurry of interest back in 2006). G.T. will be sending me all the documentation he has when he has a spare moment to gather it all. I will have to scan it and then post it. I have had his active solution in LEAP for many years but the passive solution will finally be available too. (There are actually a few different versions - with the H4338 horn gone vertical, 1400 Array/SAM1HF horn, 435Be, 476Be, with 045Be, without 045Be, etc. some of which I passed on to Zilch for his perusal)

As has been stated numerous times, the SAM1HF coupled to any of the better low frequency transducers makes for a very nice DIY system.

I personally really like the 2206H for multi-channel HT. It is well behaved, easily obtainable, has excellent efficiency and can make it down to the THX standard 80 Hz with ease. There is also an ultra-light neo version of the 2206H available for additional cost.

The 1500FE or 1500AL and their variants also make excellent choices for those requiring extended bandwidth for an outstanding two-channel solution. G.T. has stated numerous times that if he had it all to do over again, his "1200 Arrays" would have been "1500 Arrays" with the 1500AL's operating from 25 Hz on up to the Array horns. I don't include the ME150H solely because it has an aquaplased foam surround and that is no longer in vogue. For those not the least bit bothered by foam surrounds, it can be perfectly viable. The new 2216Nd could be quite fun. The various versions of the LE14H (as per the 1400 Array) are also tried and true killer solutions but I have personally moved away from the lower efficiency solutions despite the fact that I will always love the LE14H variants. I just can't afford to have a set of each variation!

I'm pulling apart my version of the "1200 Arrays" this weekend and sending the various parts to other forum members. They were extremely fun to play with! I still have the 2206H's (and their boxes) available if anyone wants them.

Wooo Hooo!! TY 4313b!!

Obsolete
    Good grief! Five minutes after I posted UPS shows up with some PT waveguides and more 476Mg's... is this madness ever going to stop???

I guess I'm supposed to bolt the 476Mg's to the PT's and put them on top of the 2206H's...

I just don't have time for this stuff anymore!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information