Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 1200 Array

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you if I did.
    Not at all! I bought a pair of G4338 grilles a few years back because I didn't feel like making my own. For some bizzare reason both showed up a week later and in perfect shape. I liked them so much I went to order a second pair and they were NLA so I ended up building four round grilles for my 1500AL's instead. Now I think the 4338 grille is available again.

I've actually considered building myself some HTPS400's several times, I just didn't feel like spending something like $1,500 on a pair of the twelve inch drivers. I have no idea why those particular twelves are so incredibly expensive, that's very nearly 1500AL territory. Someday I might ask.

Ok I feel better now and will continue to enjoy the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Do you have all of yours done (except the one I have)?

You're funny!!

Of course not, me finish a project...........Hahaha

I told myself that I needed to finish spraying my 250's and button them up, first, then I can build some more speakers.

I will get there soon though!
    Always fun learning more.......

Obsolete
    It was a decent enough night last night so I took some measurements outside at 11 PM.

The LEAP imports are 1/12 octave, 1V, 1m, without gating, tail correction, minimum phase transform, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Very good!! Thank you!
    Always fun learning more.......

Obsolete
    You can see that even with the mic stand at max height on the 045BE axis the 2206H was still a bit too close to the concrete. It was roughly equidistant to the concrete and the mic. I might shoot another set tonight at 0.7m

I also took another set of measurements of the Everest II inspired clones. I took them with the system laying on its back and the mic suspended a meter above. It's easy to see the low frequency wrap around and bounce but the data is clean where I care at the crossover frequency range.

Interesting thread

I'm following the action as it happens.

I might do something with my pair of 2206J's if your project pans out!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Hi 4313B;

When you say imported into LEAP that got me wondering, do you measure with LMS or something else?

I'm suprised the raw measurement displays haven't brought any horrified responses yet.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    When you say imported into LEAP that got me wondering, do you measure with LMS or something else?
    Clio.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I'm surprised the raw measurement displays haven't brought any horrified responses yet.
    I think alot of people are getting the gist of how this stuff works by now.

The graphs clean up real nice with tail correction, minimum phase transform and 6th or 3rd octave smoothing applied.

The compression driver data is on par with anything in JBL's LEAP files. Where JBL really shines is with those anechoic low frequency response curves. They look really nice. If I remember correctly, Harman's large chamber is good down to the mid twenties.

Not horrified but intrigued somewhat .

These 2 traces look reversed according to my expectations ( which were based on previous postings of yours showing the FRs of the 2 drivers bolted onto various horns ) . Specifically, I don't remember ever seeing the 435Be out perform the 476Be below 2K / of course those polars were all flipped ) .

Nice project btw . Any plans on aquaplasing the 2206 woofers ?

My cousin has Tannoy 315HPDs ( 70s vintage, 12" co-axes ) . They really do image nicely .

Obsolete
    The 435 and SAM1HF/1400 Array horn appear to be a good match.

I hadn't planned on aquaplasing the 2206H. I wanted to keep the efficiency up and bottom end isn't a requirement given that it is intended to cross over to subs at 80 Hz. There doesn't appear to be any need for damping through the midrange so far.

Thanks.

I am also keenly interested in this thread.

I like the look of the horn in the box.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Obsolete
    No cheating here using the stock 1400 Array network.

The 2206H length at 7.8 ms and all three curves are 1/6th octave.

Someone wanted to know just how bad the 435BE and 045BE drivers would react to the stock 1400 Array network intended for use with the 435AL and 045TI.

Second graph is with the polarity reversed on the 045BE.

The 435 and SAM1HF/1400 Array horn appear to be a good match.

I hadn't planned on aquaplasing the 2206H. I wanted to keep the efficiency up and bottom end isn't a requirement given that it is intended to cross over to subs at 80 Hz. There doesn't appear to be any need for damping through the midrange so far.
    Interesting it looks like 435be perform better than 476be on the 1400 Array horn

Obsolete
    No cheating here using the stock 1400 Array network.

Someone wanted to know just how bad the 435BE and 045BE drivers would react to the stock 1400 Array network intended for use with the 435AL and 045TI.
    What happens if you disconnect the 045 like G.T. ended up doing in his 1200 Arrays?
    I unhooked it in LEAP and here is the result. This isn't quite like what G.T. did because he also extended the response of the 435Be. I haven't revisited his 1200 Array network yet.

What this does show is that the 435Be isn't all that bad with the stock network. Definitely too hot for the stock network but nothing a resistor won't take care of as per Rob in his 1400 Array Clone thread.

I did play around with optimizing the notch filter on the 435Be as well as putting a 4 kHz notch on the 045Be and the results were promising. I'll post those results if they pan out after some additional tweaking. The 045 has way too much energy in the 4kHz region which is out of its intended bandwidth but close enough to screw the whole thing up visually.

I'm glad one of the LEAP updates included the ability to strongly influence LEAP not to go below a certain impedance. When one tries to start optimizing networks wholesale (not a good thing anyway) LEAP often renders solutions that result in completely unusable impedance curves. The response curves can sure look damn nice though. Too bad there isn't an amp on the planet that could drive them.

Thread Information