+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 126

Thread: DIY 1200 Array

  1. #31
    Senior Member JuniorJBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,452
    That is valuable info 4313b! Thank You.
    I was finding the same with respect to the level of the Be drivers on the 1400's network. Although I have yet to completly understand my woofertester pro, I should be able to make some truly meaningful measurments by the end of the year.
    Always fun learning more.......

  2. #32
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,358
    SAM1HF network with Be drivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by 4313B; 07-15-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to reverse polarity on 435Be in SAM1HF network

  3. #33
    Administrator Robh3606's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Destiny
    Posts
    7,507
    Nice!


    Along with changing the attenuation I shifted the pole in the 045Be crossover to move it up to 9K. When I did my measurements the 2435's had a bit more energy through the crossover point than the 2431 so I used the pole shift to drop it down. It also reduced the ripple through the crossover region.

    Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

  4. #34
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Along with changing the attenuation I shifted the pole in the 045Be crossover to move it up to 9K. When I did my measurements the 2435's had a bit more energy through the crossover point than the 2431 so I used the pole shift to drop it down. It also reduced the ripple through the crossover region.
    I did look over what you did. It appears to have had minimal impact on the sonic signature of the stock system as a whole which is very nice. I noticed that G.T. also shifted that value in one of the other Array models.

    The sound quality of the 045 is inversely proportional to how it measures. What a mess...

    I took additional measurements last night with the system axis on the 435Be and 476Be instead of the 045Be given that the 1400 Array places the 435Al right around seated ear height.

  5. #35
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,358
    Which horn do you like better the 1400 Array horn or H4338?
    I'm conflicted. The 1400 Array horn has alot to offer. I have to agree with Greg that the vertical horns just sound better.

    But I've played around with the H4338 horn vertical and I find the axial distance between the 1500AL and 476Be at roughly 18" daunting (please keep in mind that I have dual concentric Tannoys with zero axial distance so my assessment might be a bit unfair). In a really big room it might not be a problem.

    On the other hand, I think the H4338 looks the best, with the H9800 a reasonable second. I do not like the large size of the H4365 at all. I can't seem to be able to pull away from the looks of a "4338 sans 045Ti bezel"-type box. I just really like that boring old rectangle with the blue baffle. A 4.5 to 5.0 cu ft box tuned to 28 Hz and loaded with an H4338/476Be and a 1500AL (ducted port(s) on the baffle with the fifteen to maintain SPL!) is pretty damn nice.

  6. #36
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,358
    I did finally get a pair of stock 1400 Array high frequency networks.

    JBL also shipped me a pair of LE14H-4's that I'd ordered last February. Too bad UPS lost them in transit. They weren't specifically for this particular project but they could have been fun to try out. Oh well, whatever...

    These should definitely be worth charge-coupling. It appears that they simply screw into the back of the box with wood screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #37
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,358
    Does anyone know the low pass network board dimensions in the bottom of the 1400 Array box? I also need the mounting bolt dimensions. A photo or two would be great too. TIA.

  8. #38
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,358
    Ok, no responses so I'm just going to build the low pass the way I want it rather than try and make it a bolt-in to a stock 1400 Array.

    The stock 1400 Array low pass network is very expensive (compared to the quality of components) so I'm not going to buy one just for a pattern. And charge-coupling them without using any N.P.E.'s at all is very expensive so I went with the usual combination of N.P.E.'s and metalized polypropylenes.

    The stock high pass networks are, on the other hand, a bargain in that all the inductors and resistors are 100% viable and reusable for charge-coupling.

    BTW - Like Greg, I've switched over to using diodes instead of 9 volt batteries in all my charge coupling endeavors.

  9. #39
    Senior Member JuniorJBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,452
    Mine added up in a hurry, that's for sure. I did just use good caps and bypassed and am happy with the results.
    Always fun learning more.......

  10. #40
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,358
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    Mine added up in a hurry, that's for sure. I did just use good caps and bypassed and am happy with the results.
    I very nearly did the same but Greg urged me to build a charge-coupled pair of the low pass networks about a month ago if only for the sake of science. His argument is that the low frequency transducer goes up high enough to make a difference. I suppose one could argue that it wouldn't be as important for HT as if would be for dedicated two-channel.

    I'm waiting on a miniDSP to show up so I can try that too. You know, just for fun. I'm anxious to hear if they sound bad or not. They might end up being "MP3 quality" devices or worse. I downloaded all their software yesterday so the miniDSP should show up in a few days.

  11. #41
    Senior Member JuniorJBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,452
    He can be quite convincing!

    Must be why I have that other 14 in mind!
    Always fun learning more.......

  12. #42
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,358
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    He can be quite convincing!

    Must be why I have that other 14 in mind!
    JBL is trying to find a replacement pair for me. If and when they do they are yours. JBL is having serious problems with HAdM. I wonder if the end game is to have everything made in China. Their new facilities there would argue for it.

  13. #43
    Senior Member JuniorJBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,452
    I am sure that is the goal. Will be a sad day among all the other duh moments.

    I will however continue to be very happy with my other components made here in the US and be thankful I have GT based products!!
    Always fun learning more.......

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Ok, no responses so I'm just going to build the low pass the way I want it rather than try and make it a bolt-in to a stock 1400 Array.

    The stock 1400 Array low pass network is very expensive (compared to the quality of components) so I'm not going to buy one just for a pattern. And charge-coupling them without using any N.P.E.'s at all is very expensive so I went with the usual combination of N.P.E.'s and metalized polypropylenes.

    The stock high pass networks are, on the other hand, a bargain in that all the inductors and resistors are 100% viable and reusable for charge-coupling.

    BTW - Like Greg, I've switched over to using diodes instead of 9 volt batteries in all my charge coupling endeavors.
    Can you elaborate on how you are implementing the diodes?

  15. #45
    Senior Member 1audiohack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Does anyone know the low pass network board dimensions in the bottom of the 1400 Array box? I also need the mounting bolt dimensions. A photo or two would be great too. TIA.

    I should have replied sooner, I will (and planned on) taking one of mine apart this weekend to get you pics and dimensions. If that's not soon enough please let me know and spare me the trouble.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Two 'Project Array 1200' projects
    By jbljfan in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-18-2010, 01:22 PM
  2. Jbl Mpx 1200/qsc Mx3000
    By baldrick in forum Professional Amps
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 01:41 PM
  3. Review of PSS 1200 Amp
    By Robh3606 in forum Professional Amps
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 02:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts