Thread: 052ti tTweeter Polarity Orientation Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

052ti tTweeter Polarity Orientation Question

This is related to a previous thread of mine, "L46 Polarity....Advice Needed." I have a 052ti driver I thought I would drop in the other speaker now that the refoam is done and the crossover has new caps. I noticed that unlike the 034 with a male post (actually neg.) and the female post the positive, the 052ti has a different post configuration. Both posts are male in shape but one is very narrow and smaller. Niether is marked + or -. Question. Which one is the negative? Or, put another way which post on the 052 takes the L46's yellow/black stripe wire from the crossover? Almost done scrubbin' around with this, promise!

Quote Originally Posted by Desull View Post
    This is related to a previous thread of mine, "L46 Polarity....Advice Needed." I have a 052ti driver I thought I would drop in the other speaker now that the refoam is done and the crossover has new caps. I noticed that unlike the 034 with a male post (actually neg.) and the female post the positive, the 052ti has a different post configuration. Both posts are male in shape but one is very narrow and smaller. Niether is marked + or -. Question. Which one is the negative? Or, put another way which post on the 052 takes the L46's yellow/black stripe wire from the crossover? Almost done scrubbin' around with this, promise!
    I can't say for sure but I can recite some coventions that should help you. The larger quick-connect on the JBL drivers I am familiar with is the JBL "positive". As such a positive going signal to this larger "positive" quick connect terminal will cause an inward movement on the tweet diaphragm. This is backwards to the usual industry convention. So if you need the more convential industry positive terminal use the smaller terminal on the 052.

The solid color wire is leads to the JBL positive terminal. The black strip or all black to the JBL negative. I believe then that the Yellow/Black wire should have the smaller female connector which hooks to the JBL negative terminal.

I didn't confuse you, right?
    David F
    San Jose

Cool

From the 4412A network schematic @

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...RL Network.pdf

which is designed for the 052TI.

Yellow/Black F .205

Yellow F .110

F means the wire has a female connector, the decimal number represents the width of the tab on the tweeter in inches.

So the schematic says the wider connector is the JBL Negative, and the narrow one is JBL Positive.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    From the 4412A network schematic @

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...RL Network.pdf

which is designed for the 052TI.

Yellow/Black F .205

Yellow F .110

F means the wire has a female connector, the decimal number represents the width of the tab on the tweeter in inches.

So the schematic says the wider connector is the JBL Negative, and the narrow one is JBL Positive.
    Thanks for posting that Mike. More to what the OP was asking as to the wire connections.

Still trick or treat on the polarity, maybe. The small terminal on the 052 is the taking the signal off the positive system input with a designation of (positive) outward motion.
    David F
    San Jose

Thanks, but yea, sufficiently confused. To revist, I used the JBL "as is" polarity as it existed with the L46. So, I reconnected the LF driver with the green/black going to the driver's positive terminal tab. Exactly the opposite of the schematic. So, in keeping with JBL's polarity convention as it is with the L46 I would connect the yellow/black stripe to the narrow tab on the 052?? My brain isn't thinking today. Please correct if needed or confirm. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Desull View Post
    Thanks, but yea, sufficiently confused. To revist, I used the JBL "as is" polarity as it existed with the L46. So, I reconnected the LF driver with the green/black going to the driver's positive terminal tab. Exactly the opposite of the schematic. So, in keeping with JBL's polarity convention as it is with the L46 I would connect the yellow/black stripe to the narrow tab on the 052?? My brain isn't thinking today. Please correct if needed or confirm. Thanks!!
    It helps me to think through what the lead from the + input at the system is hooked to which driver terminal. Note in the schematic Mike posted for the 4412 the solid green wire is hooked to the JBL positive side of the driver (JBL convention which really means negative). However, if you follow the green lead back you will notice it is connected to the negative input terminal. So the design inverts the signal path at the input in order to the make the woofer see an outward movement with a positive signal at the red + input.

Note now the tweeter connection and follow the yellow lead back and you see that it is connected to the red + terminal and to the smaller male terminal on the driver. Since the spec sheet shows that all drivers are connected so that an outward cone/diaphragm movement will result with positive signal to the red input, this confirms that the smaller male terminal on the 052 will give an outward movement and is the + terminal per the usual industry convention.

To revist, I used the JBL "as is" polarity as it existed with the L46. So, I reconnected the LF driver with the green/black going to the driver's positive terminal tab.

And so you also moved the solid green lead, which is connected to the red + input terminal, to the male driver terminal. So you have reversed the woofer side of the system from JBL convention to the industry convention.

To make the 052 tweeter connection consistent to the woofer you need to hook the L46 network yellow lead to the smaller male terminal on the tweeter.
    David F
    San Jose

Thread Information