Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lansing (Harman) longevity

Steve,

You are a nut! But I mean that in a good way.

That is a beautiful piece, good luck with your project and you absolutely must keep us informed on your progress.

Widget

WOW!

What a sexy driver! man o man I want them!

Steve, Supravox is the company Im talking about, they are supposed to be good, but they have several drivers, and Im studying which one will do what I want!

Any suggestions for the proper Supravox 15in woofer would be more than welcome!

Andre, you and any other interested audionuts in southern CA are welcome to stop by my place in Long Beach for a listening session most anytime. Just let me know when you can make it. Also, I encourage you to build your own drivers. If a guy's got the fever, a used lathe suitable for turning speaker parts can be had for a few hundred bucks. With a little determination, it is entirely possible to make something better than you can buy at any price. Building drivers from scratch was once thought to be within the scope of the hobbyist; I have a 1927 Wireless World article that details the process.

Mike, we don't really have a price for our drivers yet, but they will have to be expensive; all the parts are CNC machined, and that phasing plug is a bear to make. It takes 10 to 12 hours of operator time using a huge, expensive machine to cut those phasing plug slits. My dream is that eventually we can adopt methods like injection molding to produce a driver with all or most of the performance for a real world price, but for now we are "going for it" and making the damn things any way we can.

I wrote an article that sketches out a bit of the history of the original RCA MI-1428B driver and our current efforts for my buddy Jonathan Weiss's Oswald's Mill web site. You can read the article at http://www.oswaldsmill.com/id29.html .

Rich and I are currently going crazy trying to finish our system to take to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest next weekend in Denver. We will be showing our full field coil horn system and 15Hz. horn sub. All you fevered audiophiles within a day's drive of Denver need to make this show! http://www.audiofest.net .

Charley Rummel

A request to all who attend the Audiofest:

I have a very busy schedule for the forseable future which will prevent me from getting to Denver for the event

- I, as well as others, would love to hear from people who can get there; please share your experiences with the rest of us.

Regards,
    Charley Rummel

franz

Thumbs up

Hi Steve,

my heartfelt thanks for directing us to this fabulous link!!
    This is the kind of stuff we want to see and hear

Quote Originally Posted by John Y. View Post
    Hi, everyone:

Got the idea of starting this thread from a comment by Mr.Widget that my 45 year old Hartsfield shown in my avatar might be the oldest one owner Lansing system in the forum. I really doubt it, 'cause there were so many D130's, etc. sold in the fifties.

Let's hear from some of you old timers if you have Lansing systems still in use pre-dating my 1959 purchase.

If we want to expand the topic, I have a Harman-Kardon mono amplifier from 1957 that drove a D130 in a homebuilt (from Lansing plans) C37. The D130 needs a recone so it won't qualify until that is done.

The Hartsfield avatar picture was made in August 1959, the year I bought it in Atlanta, GA. Although not used every day, I still like to play some early mono albums through this great speaker.

John Y.
    I resurrected this old thread because I have John's Hartsfield as the center speaker driven by a Fisher 500c with a pair of La Scala left and right. The Fisher has a 16 ohm center speaker tap that works with the 16 ohm Hartsfield. This combo puts a smile on my face every time I fire it up. Had it going tonight with some old Joe Walsh and James Gang which was a lot of fun. The efficiency is ridiculous! Can't get the volume past 2 of 10 without being chased out of the room.

Apparently John passed a couple of years ago. I purchased the Hartsfield and a pair of L-100s from the estate last year. Sure wish I could had known him as he was a true audio lover and JBL fan.

Rick

Thanks for sharing. I hope you enjoy John's Hartsfield for many years.
    Out.

Thread Information