Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LE-10H advice

LE-10H advice

Just won a supposedly 'new in box' LE-10H but didn't have an opportunity to ask the seller any questions, coming across it at the last minute. It's to replace the faulty one in my L96. I would have liked to ask the seller to test that it was working okay, although he might not have agreed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1508437134...#ht_500wt_1095

Just wondering if there are any issues I should be aware of? eg do the foam surrounds deteriorate even when unused. Any recommendations for how to pack the driver properly for shipping, bearing in mind it will have to travel from the US to UK.

Hopefully, this isn't going to end in disappointment !

Great forum & many thanks!
    Main: PC (optimised) ->U2 Sabre async-> Slagleformer-> Job 225-> L96-> SVS SB12NSD. Bedroom: Audio-GD NFB6-> LCR 6328P

Cool NIB!

Well, first off, "New In Box" should mean that it is in the original shipping box, which should be packed into a not-much-larger box for shipment. Explain to the seller that the original shipping box is worth more to you than the speaker so that it is indeed double boxed. One good thing about the original box, it will have a relief for the foam so that the cone will not have spent the last decade pressed back into the basket they way just setting it on a flat surface would have done.

And yes, foam does deteriorate slower in a sealed box, but deteriorate it does. I got lucky with some NIB JBL recone kits dated around 1995, the foam has yet to fall apart, but it's all about the environment the kit is in. Mine came from The Great White North, so probably did not spend much time in high heat. YMMV as they say...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Thanks for the info! I've asked the seller if it's double-boxed or not..

Main: PC (optimised) ->U2 Sabre async-> Slagleformer-> Job 225-> L96-> SVS SB12NSD. Bedroom: Audio-GD NFB6-> LCR 6328P

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    Well, first off, "New In Box" should mean that it is in the original shipping box, which should be packed into a not-much-larger box for shipment. Explain to the seller that the original shipping box is worth more to you than the speaker so that it is indeed double boxed. One good thing about the original box, it will have a relief for the foam so that the cone will not have spent the last decade pressed back into the basket they way just setting it on a flat surface would have done.

Well, the pair of 'new in box' drivers arrived. Contrary to what the seller told me, they are only single-boxed by JBL, although he used his own second box for shipping. The foam inlays are both present.

And yes, foam does deteriorate slower in a sealed box, but deteriorate it does. I got lucky with some NIB JBL recone kits dated around 1995, the foam has yet to fall apart, but it's all about the environment the kit is in. Mine came from The Great White North, so probably did not spend much time in high heat. YMMV as they say

Both drivers need a refoam- do you know the best place to get some kits from? Looks like these were stored near Chicago and there's an invoice showing that both boxes were shipped by Harman in 2000 but they were both manufactured in 1986.

One box shows some water stains externally- which the seller didn't disclose in the auction - although that driver's aquaplas is actually whiter and foam less deteriorated than the driver from the box without any water stains on it. That woofer is slightly yellower..

Some pictures:

Name:  DSCF2541.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  82.6 KB

Attachment 56334

Attachment 56330

Attachment 56331

Attachment 56332
    Attached Images Attached Images     

You did good considering it only needs foam!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph856 View Post

One box shows some water stains externally- which the seller didn't disclose in the auction - although that driver's aquaplas is actually whiter and foam less deteriorated than the driver from the box without any water stains on it. That woofer is slightly yellower..
    I'll guess that the wet driver was swapped with the dry one in their boxes. That foam looks to be mildewed and the yellowing on the cone is suspicious. Inspect the back of the cone and particularly the spider. Check the cone for free movement throughout it's range of motion. (Rust in the VC gap being the main concern). It may well be OK, you'll know when you fire it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    You did good considering it only needs foam!
    Thanks man. I paid a lot though . Was desperate to get my L96's back up and running after sitting around for 2 years..

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I'll guess that the wet driver was swapped with the dry one in their boxes. That foam looks to be mildewed and the yellowing on the cone is suspicious. Inspect the back of the cone and particularly the spider. . (Rust in the VC gap being the main concern).
    Cheers.

According to the serial numbers, the more yellowed woofer came from the better looking box, the one without water stains. Anyhow, looking more closely, the one from the stained box also has similar discolouration, mild mildew and the surround is completely falling away from woofer:

Name:  DSCF2573.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  72.4 KB

Check the cone for free movement throughout it's range of motion
    Pressing in both cones, they only seem to travel a a short distance (1cm very approx) before coming to a crunchy stop. In contrast, another pair of LE10's I have and the cones travels in a lot further (more like a good inch). I'm no expert unfortunately, so the only way to really know their condition is to take them to Wembley Loudspeaker for a check up. They do refoam/ recones.

It may well be OK, you'll know when you fire it up
    Should they be refoamed first or can I do a check now? Isn't playing them with rotting surrounds a big no, no?

The seller didn't mention their condition in his ebay auction, just that they were 'new in box'. Not sure I would necessarily win if took this to paypal dispute. I guess it would all hinge on whether NIB implies good condition and working order, or not.

"NIB" obviously can have different meanings. It's easy to tell if they've been mounted. If the VCs are intact and the drivers work as expected, they probably qualify as new.
    Don't try to run them till re-foamed.

"NIB" obviously can have different meanings. If the VCs are intact and the drivers work as expected, they probably qualify as new..
    So rd, it's not a problem that they travel a lot less than my other LE-10's (ie only around a cm)?

BTW, here's a few of the inside:

Name:  DSCF2581.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  71.7 KBName:  DSCF2576.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  64.4 KBName:  DSCF2578.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  49.3 KB

It's easy to tell if they've been mounted.

Hmm, the mounting holes don't appear to have been used..

Name:  DSCF2579.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  87.7 KB

Do you know anywhere I can buy genuine refoam or the nearest equivalent? Thanks!

Absent a correct foam suspension, it's really not possible to tell much about the rest.

I'm not sure where's the simplest place to get foam where you are. If you go with one of the US suppliers you'd want to contact them about shipping.

Obsolete
    I believe Gordon has the proper surrounds for LE8's and LE10's.

Absent a correct foam suspension, it's really not possible to tell much about the rest.

I'm not sure where's the simplest place to get foam where you are. If you go with one of the US suppliers you'd want to contact them about shipping.

Could you name one or two please? Save me starting a thread. Thanks man

My previous (and faulty) LE10's were refoamed by Wembley Loudspeakers here in London, but I don't know if they used strictly the 100% correct surrounds. Here's an old photo of it:

Name:  DSCF2584.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  104.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I believe Gordon has the proper surrounds for LE8's and LE10's.

Our posts crossed. If you could tell me his Lancing name, I'll pm him. Thanks!

Obsolete
    GordonW here and Audiokarma.

Cheers G..

Thread Information