Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2266H Any users out there??

Pictures?

Here's a side shot, remarkable how lite they are compared to a ferrite or alnico. Going to end up with half size boxes and a lot lighter.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

i am curious. I have searched on the and returned empty handed. Do you have any T/S parameters on this driver? It seems to have a very low Fs.

I have searched on the and returned empty handed.
    Where were you looking?? It's listed in the current T/S tables from JBL. 31Hz isn't all that low. If you look at the sub box it's used in we are pushing them about a half octave or so lower than their normal alignment using a BX-63.

Rob

Really glad I didn't cut my port tubes yet. The FS measures 26Hz not the 31Hz in the table!! That changes things

I was wondering if they were indeed 31hz because the suspension is so stiff and got a big surprise. I am going to run them in for a little while and remeasure them.

Rob

Fs26Hz indeed is very low for a PA driver. But it is also pretty exciting for indoor duty. Looking at JBL boxes with that driver, it can be noticed that the volume is very small. Most likely to avoid reaching Xmas to early. But for home duty and loud hifi, that driver with a bigger box could be impressive. Is that a TAD killer or is it too much of a brute?

Hello Lee

You really need to run some sims. Depending on how you want to use them a smaller box seems to be the way to go. The B380 box is too big for them and you run into x-max issues in it. The whole reason I stared looking around was the occasional clang/bang using the B380's. You put on a Blue-Ray movie like Super 8 and you would have to be really careful with the levels. I wanted a driver I could use my available amps with, not exceed X-Max and still have over 120Db peaks with a pair. Looks like I found it. After running them in for about 40 minutes or so they ended up at 27Hz.

Rob

Name:  2266-2 + 35 Minutes 27Hz.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  98.3 KBName:  2266 27Hz.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  144.0 KB
    Last edited by Robh3606; 08-13-2012 at 09:26 PM.

I have to shuffle my subs around so now I have the B380's under my HT mains and the new subs where the B380's were. They are working out very well especially for their size. They are only in boxes that are 2.6 cubic ft overall so they are a bit more than half the size of a B380. Talk about lotsa bass from a small box!

Rob

Well now I went and did it. I ended up having issues with my sub amps and decided to go looking for a new amp to drive them. I got one of the Crown XTi2 sereis amps the 2002. Plenty of power with an adjustable limiter so I can use it worry free. Should be lot of fun. Has DSP so I can emulate the BX-63 in 2 of the channels and have 6 more to do some room EQ. It hooks up to your computer though the usb port so it can all be done on the screen using Band Manager software.

Rob

The software is really easy to use and very versitle considering you can place the EQ's anywhere you want and if you overlap them you can really make some reallt unique curves. Here's a couple of screen shots of the over all interface and the EQ's.

Rob

Obsolete
    Theoretically these drivers should be pretty damn good. Definitely an upgrade over a now ancient 136H or 2235H I would think. I really like the weight.

How does the new Crown sound? I've never cared much for Crown, although we sure used them alot back in the big blue baffle days.

The DSP gizmo sounds fun as all hell. I like that stuff. Two of these for a bi-amp system could be groovy. I notice they also do high and low pass filters. One could do a ducted port bump, a baffle step notch and a couple horn notches and be in business.

Hello 4313B

Theoretically these drivers should be pretty damn good. Definitely an upgrade over a now ancient 136H or 2235H I would think. I really like the weight.
    They sound great! It's nice not having to worry when you pop in a Blueray. I have run the amp hard enough to get the clip lights to flash and the drivers are fine dumping over 500 watts into them on peaks.

How does the new Crown sound? I've never cared much for Crown, although we sure used them alot back in the big blue baffle days.
    I think the drivers and amp are a good match. Count the cycles clarity and definition and pants flappin power. Sounds great for movies and just as good for music disc LFE. Peter Gabriel has a new live DVD New Blood where he does his music with an orchestra. On Signal to Noise the bass drum is in the LFE. The impact and weight are really something. On the movie Super 8 you want to hide during the train wreck.

The DSP gizmo sounds fun as all hell. I like that stuff. Two of these for a bi-amp system could be groovy. I notice they also do high and low pass filters. One could do a ducted port bump, a baffle step notch and a couple horn notches and be in business.
    I am looking forward to playing around. It takes two filters to do the BX-63 and that leaves you 12 additional parametric EQ bands per channel. You can do in-room measurements of the individual subs and set up EQ's for each sub which is great compared to a global setting for the pair. It comes with a bunch of JBL 2 way presents so you all need to do is add the speakers and you are good to go. The features in the amp were well thought out and easy as hell to use with the software. I have it hooked up to my computer using a usb port.

I was worried about fan noise. With this amp it runs with no fan until it's needed. With music DVD's I have not been able to get the amp hot enough to turn it on. Even with movies I was having a hard time. None of the individual scenes would start the fan until I did an extended LFE session with Cloverfield where I played the worst case sections all together. Then it powered up on low speed and shut down after a couple of minutes. Not to bad on low. It's hard to hear with the movie playing. You can use the software to switch the fan to high. Really loud on high speed.

Rob

Obsolete
    Rob, how is the Crown working out? I'm considering getting a pair to bi-amp some 4338 clones.

Hello 4313B

It's working out very well. With the DSP you should be able to get a very close approximation to a passive solution. The only issue I can see is I have not tried it full range, it sounds great as a sub amp I would think it should work full range as well. You really need to hear one to see for yourself.

Rob

Hello Rob, and everyone,

Well I'm kind new to this forum. I have register myself because I'm searching informations about JBL Woofer.
    I have see the 2266 because of his low FS, good QTS, differential driver and acceptable price.

Well I'm looking, not for a sub, but for a woofer in a two way with a JBL 2450 on top of it.
    So he could go deep, but did you think this 2266 could go up to 850 Hz ?

Have you he possibility, please, to make a measure at close range around 20cm of the woofer ? To see the general "shape" of the frequency response ? Huge breakup or Huge H3 at a point perhaps ... It would be very very nice and appreciate

Thank you to have read me

Regards,

Thread Information