After a very pleasant conversation with Greg Timbers today, I'm happy to announce that I'll be organizing a special event on a Saturday in August to honor him for his body of work, to commemorate his 40 years of service at JBL, and especially to pay tribute to the magical ways in which his brilliance over the years has enriched our artistic, musical, and social experiences and improved the quality of our lives.

The first order of business is to get a roll call of folks who can commit to attend. Right now I'd like to focus on Saturday, August 4. My plan is to run the event in San Pedro, CA (LA Harbor) at a waterfront location starting around 5:30 or 6 PM and lasting about 60-75 minutes. The cost would be about $25 (+ or - $5) and would include a plated dinner or buffet dinner, a program, and a cash bar. Dress will be casual but respectful of the event and the honoree. This is predicated on at least 20 people showing up. I would hope we could get 30-40. Spouses and friends are welcome as long as they pay and can appreciate the purpose of the event: to honor Greg Timbers.

Afterward, I can host a small number of people at my home where Greg will be reunited with many of his JBL "children" and comment on the speakers, their design, a bit of their history, etc., and we'll all get a listen. Hopefully, I'll have everything set up to show them at their best. Otherwise... Maybe we'll raffle off these spots for $5 a ticket during the event.

For anyone who buys a raffle ticket and misses the demo at my place, I'll be happy to offer a make-up session, of course without Greg.

Any leftover proceeds will go to Lansing Heritage.

(If fewer than 20 people can make it, then I'll recalibrate accordingly, probably hosting everything at my house or trying another date.)

Those who come a long distance can get hotel/motel info from me or ask in this thread. Those who come early have the chance to tour the USS Iowa, the Ports of LA and Long Beach, the Palos Verdes Peninsula, Korean Friendship Bell, Historic Fort MacArthur, and many other local sites. If you need travel info, we can post that in the thread from among all those who know the SoCal area.

I hope many will take this once-in-a-lifetime chance to thank Greg Timbers in person. Getting industry awards and corporate recognition is very gratifying, but to receive praise from the people who actually use and admire your work is the highest form of recognition. Please make an effort to participate and make this a special night for one of the greats.

If you want to attend on the 4th, please PM me your email address, and I'll get you on the information list. (Please DO NOT post your email in the thread.) Please also include any other Saturdays in August that might also work for you in case the 4th tanks.

Hope to hear from you!