Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Event in SoCal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Special Event in SoCal

After a very pleasant conversation with Greg Timbers today, I'm happy to announce that I'll be organizing a special event on a Saturday in August to honor him for his body of work, to commemorate his 40 years of service at JBL, and especially to pay tribute to the magical ways in which his brilliance over the years has enriched our artistic, musical, and social experiences and improved the quality of our lives.

The first order of business is to get a roll call of folks who can commit to attend. Right now I'd like to focus on Saturday, August 4. My plan is to run the event in San Pedro, CA (LA Harbor) at a waterfront location starting around 5:30 or 6 PM and lasting about 60-75 minutes. The cost would be about $25 (+ or - $5) and would include a plated dinner or buffet dinner, a program, and a cash bar. Dress will be casual but respectful of the event and the honoree. This is predicated on at least 20 people showing up. I would hope we could get 30-40. Spouses and friends are welcome as long as they pay and can appreciate the purpose of the event: to honor Greg Timbers.

Afterward, I can host a small number of people at my home where Greg will be reunited with many of his JBL "children" and comment on the speakers, their design, a bit of their history, etc., and we'll all get a listen. Hopefully, I'll have everything set up to show them at their best. Otherwise... Maybe we'll raffle off these spots for $5 a ticket during the event.

For anyone who buys a raffle ticket and misses the demo at my place, I'll be happy to offer a make-up session, of course without Greg.

Any leftover proceeds will go to Lansing Heritage.

(If fewer than 20 people can make it, then I'll recalibrate accordingly, probably hosting everything at my house or trying another date.)

Those who come a long distance can get hotel/motel info from me or ask in this thread. Those who come early have the chance to tour the USS Iowa, the Ports of LA and Long Beach, the Palos Verdes Peninsula, Korean Friendship Bell, Historic Fort MacArthur, and many other local sites. If you need travel info, we can post that in the thread from among all those who know the SoCal area.

I hope many will take this once-in-a-lifetime chance to thank Greg Timbers in person. Getting industry awards and corporate recognition is very gratifying, but to receive praise from the people who actually use and admire your work is the highest form of recognition. Please make an effort to participate and make this a special night for one of the greats.

If you want to attend on the 4th, please PM me your email address, and I'll get you on the information list. (Please DO NOT post your email in the thread.) Please also include any other Saturdays in August that might also work for you in case the 4th tanks.

Hope to hear from you!
    Out.

Obsolete
    Getting industry awards and corporate recognition is very gratifying, but to receive praise from the people who actually use and admire your work is the highest form of recognition.
    So true.

I'm thrilled that you are doing this. I wish everyone could attend.

I'm in. PM in a bit.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

wish i could make it happen

if it moves up in agust please let me know maybe i could take a fast trip from mexico to LA but not on the 4th

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    wish i could make it happen

if it moves up in agust please let me know maybe i could take a fast trip from mexico to LA but not on the 4th
    We'll keep you in mind. I'd love to meet you.

What's your preferred Saturday in August?
    Out.

If I get sacked on Monday I am in (I am working on it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    If I get sacked on Monday I am in (I am working on it!)
    Umm, good luck? (Not sure what to wish for in this case.)
    Out.

I look forward to hearing the new date - my wife wouldn't let me leave vacation early to make it on the 4th, maybe the new day will work out better. I'll start begging her in advance
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Exclamation New date and time

Okay, JBL and Greg Timbers fans, here's the skinny.

Saturday, September 15 at 6 PM in San Pedro, CA. The cost will be $30 per person, with any remaining proceeds going to Lansing Heritage. The cost includes dinner, a souvenir program, a gift for Greg during a recognition ceremony, and a high probability that you'll get to come to the Dome's domain with Mr. Timbers to view and listen to several of his contributions to the arts and science of loudspeaker development.

S/2600 stereo pair
    K2 S9900 stereo pair
    XPL200A stereo pair with Timbers-built active crossover
    Performance Series 5.1 surround music system
    SAM1HF units as part of a Synthesis® One Array 7.1 home theater

plus

PT250 active quad-amped stereo pair based on the L250, 250Ti, and PT800/PS1400 stack (full disclosure, grumpy and I took what we believe are the best of each of these, then created a Frankensteinian monster. Greg Timbers is not responsible for the result.)

Guests are welcome as long as they pay and don't have a history of theft or home invasion.

PM me with your email to get on the email list, and as we get closer the exact locations will be sent to you. If the number is manageable, everyone can come to my place afterward; otherwise, by popular request, those who come the farthest will get first dibs. (Those who are closer can always come by at another time, as several have already.)

Hope to hear from more of you!
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Okay, JBL and Greg Timbers fans, here's the skinny.

Saturday, September 15 at 6 PM in San Pedro, CA.
    DAMNIT! Oh well it can't work for everyone.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Saturday, September 15 at 6 PM in San Pedro, CA.
    Very possible. Festival season is drawing to a close - there are actually free weekends appearing on my calendar! It will have to be a quick I/O for me - "got gig" on the 16th...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Damn!I hope my boyfriend will invite me! Have a great time! I am sure it will be well documented. Like everyone else, I eagerly await the reports.Widget
    Likely that was me? I guess we'll have to hope for a Skype...

bo
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Few more days

I envy you guys. Hope to see some picks

Valentin

Final Communique

The last full email went out to all the registered attendees today. If you didn't get yours, let me know. Otherwise, I'll see many of you on Friday and all of you on Saturday.
    Out.

I would be willing to bring my original L250's also if anyone is interested in hearing those also, Let me know TONY

Evening, TD,

I have sent you a PM about this, but if invited, my wife and I would love to attend, and will happily pay our share of whatever it the cost turns out to be. I look forward to hearing from you when you know, for sure, what's going to happen!! Hope to meet a few more forum members there, as well. Thanks for putting this great event together, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information