Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Special Event in SoCal

Greetings, All,

I forgot to add the complete story I mentioned to Greg T, about my love of the L300's. Many years ago, when I was a young musician trying to earn his living playing music and move down the road of honing my skills, I got a call from the Father of my girlfriend at the time, who was a surgeon up in Palm Desert. He asked me if I could please pick up his 12 cylinder Jaguar and deliver it to him in Palm Desert, then pick up another car, and return it to the family home. Of course, I was jazzed to be able to drive such a wonderfully famous vehicle, and was especially tickled when the Doc told me not to worry about putting my foot in it, if I needed to pass someone. He said lunch would be provided, and he had a small surprise for me, too.

I picked up the Jag, had the drive of my life going up to Palm Desert, during which I could cruise at 90 MPH, then come up behind someone, and press down the gas pedal, zipping up to 120 MPH in less then a heartbeat, to pass!! DANG that was fun!! When I got there, he thanked me for bringing it up, and we shared a nice lunch that he had had delivered for us. He also said he wanted to show me his new stereo system and speakers, which were none other than the JBL Summits!!! Doc G. played some Dave Grusin, Blood Sweat and Tears, Fanfare For The Common Man, by Copeland, some female vocalists, along with a few other neat goodies. I sat there with my mouth open, totally gobsmacked to hear such a stunning sound stage and detail from those huge speakers!!! He was really happy that I was so very impressed, and from then on, I lusted for a pair of L300's for myself.

Fast forward all those years, and after I'd joined LH, one of our forum members contacted me to offer his own L300's, and so Sweet Bride and I drove up to hear them, taking money out of the bank once we got there. They were in outstanding condition, with only a few small flaws, and I was excited, scared, and at the same time, so happy to have this chance to own some L300's of our own! The seller cranked them up too loud, of course, God Bless him, and was using techno-pop, which has no attraction to either Cynthia, or I. We asked if we could turn the speakers down, and use our own music, to which he agreed. After listening to them for a while, we decided to give them a chance, and negotiated a price that both the seller and we were happy to do. Once in our home, we cranked the horns down quite a bit, put the Real Time Analyzer and calibrated mike, to see what they were doing, and moved them around to get the sound stage we thought was best in our listening room. The rest is history, as we fell in love with the L300's, and that enjoyment lasts to the very day, even after hearing the stunning K2 system!! And, as the late, and very great, Paul Harvey used to say, "And now, you know the REST of the story"!! Thanks for putting up with all my gushing, Folks, and I look forward to seeing photos from our recent JBL event!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Pictures

Thank-you!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks Grumpy!

Looks like a tremendous geekfest... sorry I missed it.

Even though I did miss it, I'd like to thank Doug. I am really glad he and all of you were able to honor "the man". He really has brought so many of us so much pleasure. (Listening to his E2s as I type... some rather civilized Vivaldi is playing- just glorious!)

Mr. Dome, I know about your amazing JBL collection, but are all those raw drivers yours too or were they trucked in for the event? That is quite the trip down driver memory lane!

Widget

Fantastic Grumpy!!

Very good pics. I will get to mine up this evening.
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Looks like a tremendous geekfest... sorry I missed it.

Mr. Dome, I know about your amazing JBL collection, but are all those raw drivers yours too or were they trucked in for the event? That is quite the trip down driver memory lane!

Widget
    About 30% were mine. The rest:

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Fourth, thanks to Dave (again), Glen Claybrook (glen), Tony Natale (stony22), and Bart Yee (mech986) for loading their vehicles with their JBL and Lansing museum pieces and bringing them for the show. I had a number of things on display there as well, and I only had to move them from one part of my garage to the tables, and that was tough enough. Bringing a vehicle stuffed with all kinds of precious goods is no easy task, and displaying all that goodness to share is a real act of generosity.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    He really has brought so many of us so much pleasure.
    That really is the long and short of it isn't it?

The components he selects, the filters he designs, the voicing that results. A real positive influence in the lives of many. Every single time that power switch goes On. People genuinely enjoy and appreciate his endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    That really is the long and short of it isn't it?

The components he selects, the filters he designs, the voicing that results. A real positive influence in the lives of many. Every single time that power switch goes On. People genuinely enjoy and appreciate his endeavors.
    I thought there was once a list of all the JBL models Greg had a hand in. Can't find it now but I didn't spend much time on it. I know many of the best-known were present at this event but it would seem this thread would be an appropriate place for a complete listing, if there is one. Just a suggestion. I don't have the answer.

Thanks.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I thought there was once a list of all the JBL models Greg had a hand in. Can't find it now but I didn't spend much time on it. I know many of the best-known were present at this event but it would seem this thread would be an appropriate place for a complete listing, if there is one. Just a suggestion. I don't have the answer.

Thanks.
    Well, I know one was the Northridge E Series, including a personal favorite of mine, the E50, the last 8" three-way bookshelf JBL did. I mentioned it in my little speech before giving Greg the plaque and he was happy to call it his own. It was and still is a really good bookshelf speaker.

You remember it, right? A couple of folks here objected to me even posting about it. (Yes, my memory is long.)

Down memory lane:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...f+a+northridge

Ah, good times!

I think getting a list together of Timbers-involved loudspeakers would be a neat idea.
    Out.

Wow!

I had forgotten how much heat you took for that one.
    Your critics should have realized that stress and heat only makes Titanium STRONGER!
    I salute the undaunted Dome!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Well, I know one was the Northridge E Series, including a personal favorite of mine, the E50, the last 8" three-way bookshelf JBL did. I mentioned it in my little speech before giving Greg the plaque and he was happy to call it his own. It was and still is a really good bookshelf speaker.

You remember it, right? A couple of folks here objected to me even posting about it. (Yes, my memory is long.)

Down memory lane:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...f+a+northridge

Ah, good times!

I think getting a list together of Timbers-involved loudspeakers would be a neat idea.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Glad to see you all had a good time!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

WDJ

Special Shout Out!! to WDJ who had to cancel attending the event but did not cancel his support. In fact he doubled down--or up--or twice...

Thanks Wayne! Your souvenir program is on the way. Anytime you're in SoCal, the JBL systems and dinner are waiting for you.
    Out.

First in, Last out

No, I'm not talking about the US Marines. I'm referring to Rolf, who was the first to arrive for the Timbers event, and the last to leave. I delivered him to LAX today and sent him on his way back to Norway.

Thanks to all who took the time to show him some of SoCal and to those who helped in other ways to make his stay possible. I appreciate it, and I know he does, too.

Safe journey, Rolf!
    Out.

Hi everybody! Dough and Annie, Mark and Cynthia, Tony and of course Greg and Howard + the rest of the "bunch", witch names I don't remember the names on at this time. Thank you all for making this one of the greatest things ever happened to me. I don't know if I ever will visit the US again. All of you who was there was so kind and friendly.

I told some of you that if you ever take a trip to Norway, my house is open. This goes for every member on the forum. Hope it can be done some time.

I took a lot of pictures witch I will post at a later time. Right now I have to get my head and body to adjust to the time here. I sleep when I am tired and are awake in between.

There has been written so many things in previous posts, so I don't know what to add.

It tuck me 17 hours from LAX to home and park my car at my property. So as you can understand I am still tired. A couple of more days, then it Will be better (I believe).

Ones again, thank you all.

Rolf

Good Morning, Rolf,

It was great meeting you at the Greg Timbers event, and spending a bit of time with you, too! Both Cynthia and I were really sorry when your back began to act up, as we know you were in a lot of pain, though you tried not to show it. We had a huge day planned, with a bit of Hollywood, some CA coastline, and our local mountains all on the list of places we wanted to take you, in addition to the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific. But, in Long Beach, it was clearly evident that you were not up for such a day as we had planned for you, so we kept it simple and easy, and hey, we had a grand time, didn't we!! You are a good man, Rolf, and a good friend, and we do hope to see you in Norway one of these days. But even if that never takes place, we were so very happy to spend a day with you after the event, and get to know you a bit more. Cynthia and I enjoyed it very much, and from your goodbyes in the Hotel Parking lot, we know that you did, too, which was very nice, indeed!

We hope your back is better, now, and that all the beer we drank that one day helped it, just a little bit!! I have to say, that you can easily drink me under the table, without even trying, Rolf!! As you probably saw that day, I cannot keep up with you and soon fell behind! Fun to know that "dark beer rules" for both of us!! In any case, it was fun, and we are so very glad you had a good time, and made it back home again, safe and sound!! Take care, my Friend, and as always, God Bless you in all things!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark and Cynthia (Doc and Sweet Bride)
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information