Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any thoughts on L220?

Real Prober
    Yup, that's what I was talking about.

Is it a good deal?

RIP 2009
    Personally, I think $1200 is a little too much, though just the 076 HF alone have sold on eBay for over $700/pair. (The last set went for $500.) $1200 might get you a good set of 4430's, which many prefer.

John

Real Prober
    Originally posted by johnaec
    Personally, I think $1200 is a little too much, though just the 076 HF alone have sold on eBay for over $700/pair. (The last set went for $500.) $1200 might get you a good set of 4430's, which many prefer.

John
    OK. That's good info. I may look into it.

Real Prober
    It seems like a lot of ppl here like 4430's....

How do you guys compare them to L220?

I'm not good at describing the subjective comparisons, but I have both L222's (which I refurbished) and 4430's, and will give it a shot here:

I have never A/B'd them but the 4430's are more "transparent," with slightly stronger bass. The Biradial horns work as intended. I consider them to be more accurate, but their sound is big enough not to be "dry." I like two-ways (quasi- 3-way in this case.)

The L222's have more airy high end (from the 076's,) but definitely have a "voice." Consistent with their "Disco" moniker, they ROCK! The midrange is quite strong (I dial it back....)

For $1200, you can get quite a nice pair of 4430's, if you shop around.

If you like vintage JBL sound, L220's definitely offer more that of the two....
    Last edited by Zilch; 09-29-2004 at 04:15 PM.

Real Prober
    Originally posted by Zilch
    I'm not good at describing the subjective comparisons, but I have both L222's (which I refurbished) and 4430's.

I have never A/B'd them but the 4430's are more "transparent," with slightly stronger bass. The Biradial horns work. I consider them to be more accurate.

The L222's have more airy high end (from the 076's,) but definitely have a "voice." Consistent with their "Disco" moniker, they ROCK!

For $1200, you can get quite a nice pair of 4430's, if you shop around.

If you want vintage JBL sound, L220's are definitely offer more that of the two....
    Thanks for your response. Which one do you personally think "better" match with McIntosh System(C28/MC2100) ?

I am looking for "attractive" sound like "Live House".

Alas,

Originally posted by Real Prober
    Which one do you personally think "better" match with McIntosh System(C28/MC2100) ?
    Never owned McIntosh, and haven't done tubes in 40 years (assuming that's what they are.) For the sake of my wallet, I assume as a matter of policy there is no difference.

Somebody else gonna have to help with that part.

[Have an old Eico setup (amp/pre) I built in HS as "decor," now, tho....]

Real Prober

Re: Alas,

Originally posted by Zilch
    Never owned McIntosh, and haven't done tubes in 40 years (assuming that's what they are.) For the sake of my wallet, I assume as a matter of policy there is no difference.

Somebody else gonna have to help with that part.

[Have an old Eico setup (amp/pre) I built in HS as "decor," now, tho....]
    No, they are solid state ones. lol

I guess I'd go with L220 if the seller accepts my $900 offer.
    Otherwise, I will shop around 4430.

Thanks for the info.

For the record,

My L222's were a totally thrashed flea-market find at $250. Even the L-pads were smoked.

I've put an additional $400 into them refoaming and reconing several drivers, and rehabbing the crossovers (one of the chokes was open, as well.)

I haven't started on the cabinets yet.

So, you're in the right $$$ range.

["Choke" would be vintage lexicon. ]
    Last edited by Zilch; 09-29-2004 at 04:48 PM.

Real Prober
    I didn't know flea-market has some vintage audio stuffs.

I may shop around next time.

Do you know any way to find 4430's locally?

I posted it on craigslist... but i don't know any alternative ways.

1) Update your profile to display your location here. Nobody has a clue where you are.

2) Start searching on eBay, maybe a couple of times a week, or Put "JBL 4430" in as a "Favorite Search" there, and select the eMail option. eBay will eMail you when they're listed.

They are large, heavy, and difficult (read "expensive") to ship, so your best choice is somewhere you can go pick them up. Decide how far that is. You want to learn what they are going for, and typical condition.

3) Check Craigslist, as you have been doing. These are a pro audio product, so you're just as likely to find them under "Musical Instruments" as "Electronics."

4) Find your local "Pennysaver" type paper. Chances are you can scan their listings online, as well. Some sellers still don't do internet listing themselves.

5) There are several internet audio resale specialty sites. You'll have to get them from others here, tho, as I don't frequent them.

6) Talk to your nearest pro audio dealers. Somebody may be wanting to trade in. Get on their bulletin board and "Want" list.

7) My L222's were found by a "Picker," someone who goes to all of the local flea markets and estate sales looking for stuff for me and others to sell. He knows what I want and what I'll pay. For all I know, he got them for $25. Vendors know who the pickers are. Kinda hard to shop that way though, unless it's your "thing."

Real Prober
    Thanks for all the info, again.

I thought i put my location in my profile, but guess not. lol

I am in San Mateo....fortunately the biggest craigslist market.
    Last edited by Real Prober; 09-29-2004 at 07:21 PM.

Thread Information