Thread: Altec 19s with a twist ! Crossover help, with advise???

M Clemmer

Altec 19s with a twist ! Crossover help, with advise???

Hello guys, been awhile.. Been sick. But now I think I'm back.... A little..lol... Got a couple questions. I picked up a pair of "Frankenteens". By that I have a pair of Nineteens with the following drivers. 802-8Ds for the HF, and for the LF he used 416-8Cs. I know there will be a differance, but how much differant is it from the original drivers as far as the 802's go? As far as the 416-8Cs, I can't tell the differance in the 2. That all being said, they have the original foam surrounds (new replacements that is) the grills, cabs, Lapds, etc... But my MAJOR question is about the crossovers. None of the wires were hooked up at all! Does anyone have a picture with the wires and an arrow with where they go? I can't read a schematic at all so the one pic doesn't help. I'm but a simple minded dude. I can solder the wires back on, but that's almost it.. Also, I don't know what side of the 802s is positive or negitive to hook them up as well. PLEASE HELP if possible. I love Nineteens (my 5th pair) but these are the keepers. Any pictures WITH. A note that shows where the Green /red/brown/white and 2 black go would help a TON ! Thanks fellow Altec'ers. Mjclemm....

Caveat: I have not been lucky enough to get a pair of 19s (yet).

Altec used fairly standard wiring for their XOs. You don't really need to be able to read the 1201 schematic to see which color wires hook to which speaker terminals. That said, if everything is disconnected, it raises the question if things are "ok" in there. The speaker was probably being bi-amped with external XOs. There are several threads on some very useful mods on reviving these old, fatigued, stock XOs in your 19s. You probably should read up on those and if you're not handy with a soldering iron, seek some local help with that. It's well worth it to re-cap (at a minimum) those old XOs.

For starters, check out this thread over on AUB.

Here's a copy of the schematic that also lists the wire color coding:

If you can't read that this link should give you a larger copy:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4500648/Audio/n1201-8aRev.jpg

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Thread Information