Thread: Altec 604C Duplex Speaker

Altec 604C Duplex Speaker

Hello. I recently came across a 604c speaker (with 1600 xover). The speaker works, but the cone has some cosmetic damage. there are a few small tears near the surround and there is a slight bow or rather bulge about a 1 inch diamater. i have contacted great plains and they said the only way to recone is with 604e cone which has a cloth surround rather than all paper. my question is if it works the way it is --is it better to keep it original and repair it with glue or recone it with 604e parts?

how would the effect sound + or - and also resell value in the future? thanks!

I also heard that the altec 515 used the same cone as the 604c. can anyone verify this?

This is a pretty good 604 reference I came across a while back:

Duplex Timeline

If you search around, you'll find some good info about all the 604s. From what I read, the E model with the improved compliance is a better speaker. So if you have the cash for the re-cone, send it off to GPA and get the Alnico recharged, and get it reconed. I think that will improve the re-sell value over a unit with a torn cone.

FWIW, I have just acquired a 606 cabinet with a 604c mounted inside. Turns out the 604 was reconed at some point in it's life with the 515 cone. Not having another 604c as a point of reference to compare it to I can only say that it sounds fantastic as it is.. I'm replacing a set of Valencia's that have been brought up to date with new GPA drivers and new crossovers with hi quality components that I built. The single 604c with 515 cone walks all over the Valencia. I've been told that the 604e cone can be used in the 604c but that the sound is not exactly the same. This is splitting hairs of course, but I believe the C is a little better in the midrange vocals and the E shines a little more in the low end. I've done a good bit of asking around and research on this subject because from what I am told the 606 corner cabinet is tuned specifically to the 604c not an e.. also told that the paper edge cone is a little more responsive than the cloth edge.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathKit View Post
    FWIW, I have just acquired a 606 cabinet with a 604c mounted inside. Turns out the 604 was reconed at some point in it's life with the 515 cone. Not having another 604c as a point of reference to compare it to I can only say that it sounds fantastic as it is.. I'm replacing a set of Valencia's that have been brought up to date with new GPA drivers and new crossovers with hi quality components that I built. The single 604c with 515 cone walks all over the Valencia. I've been told that the 604e cone can be used in the 604c but that the sound is not exactly the same. This is splitting hairs of course, but I believe the C is a little better in the midrange vocals and the E shines a little more in the low end. I've done a good bit of asking around and research on this subject because from what I am told the 606 corner cabinet is tuned specifically to the 604c not an e.. also told that the paper edge cone is a little more responsive than the cloth edge.
    The 604 with the paper cone is more efficient, but does not have the low-freq performance of the LF driver with the new compliance. It's a bit of a trade off. As I recall the corner cabinet is tuned differently (if they are older cabinets). Is this an A7 cabinet with slots?

Remember, the 515 started as a theater speakers decades ago.

FM

The 606 corner cabinet speaker is tuned specifically for the 604b or c. It is a monster of a cabinet made from late 40's to 50's. It is not an A7. Even now with the 515 coned speaker it really sounds good and the bass is quite adequate. I have heard from a very good friend that has had and tested many of the different 604's that while yes the 604e has a better bottom end that it doesn't have quite the same midrange response as the C. For his money the choice for Alnico 604's would be the C first and then the E. The E will not work in my particular cabinet without changing retuning the cabinet/changing the port. He is also of the opinion (which I value) that the paper cone has a different "snap" to it that seems to help return the cone to it's original position a little quicker giving some of those heavy bass passages a little more clarity (they don't have a tendency to get muddy). Given the options available I would agree that I would rather have a reconed as an E than a damaged original.

Thread Information