Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 4344 cabinets (& what oil to use??)

Originally posted by jarrods
    hey Widget.

thanks for the info on the oil..

i hunted for Watco on the aus google and found a hit.

http://www.arbortech.com.au/articles/017.html

they have a distributer very close to me so i will check them out next week.

the Watco got an Excellent in this dudes review, some other got exceptional but may have been on different species of wood so act differently. i'll go with what you know works if i can get hold of it.

cheers, Jarrod

If you use Watco, they have slightly different instructions than what I posted. My method has worked for me and has evolved over the years that I have used the product. The main point is to keep wetting the surface for that first hour and then keep wiping it as I described. It takes more hours of hands on time than they suggest, but it is a simple procedure and if you follow it and then repeat after a week or two you will be amazed by the results.

Oh yeah one very important point, if you follow my instructions you will generate many oil soaked paper towels or rags. They will spontaneously combust if not handled properly. I know of two school woodshops that have caught fire due to students leaving a pile of oil soaked rags lying around. You are supposed to submerge them in water. I have found this inconvenient, so I put them into airtight bags and take them to an outdoor dumpster. I have been using the stuff for 30 years and so far haven't had an issue.

Widget

In my opinion there isn't much that beats a good oil finish. The reason it isn't more popular is because of the mantainence and just importantly lack of. If you have no one around setting a drink on it or a planter it can't be beat! WIDGET IS RIGHT ABOUT THE FIRE HAZARD. I've gone to lunch and come back with the rag ready to flame as it was hot as hell. Made a believer out of me. I have a dedicated container for those rags now!
    Last edited by Audiobeer; 09-26-2004 at 06:32 PM.

Tom Loizeaux
    I also agree that a walnut surface needs a real oil finish. Oil won't seal or block up the grain but will add a deep richness and protect the wood at the same time. I would suggest that you can make your first application rather light, Simply rubbing a soft cloth, wetted with the oil of your choosing, and then wiping it dry, will apply a light oil finish that will give the walnut a beautiful color. It is easy to apply a second coat the next day, or when you feel you want a deeper glow and a little more shine.
    Lemon oil will not build into a shine, but tung oil, when built up with heavy or multiple coats on walnut, will start to produce a shiny finish.

Your cabinets look great. I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

Tom

Thread Information