Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling sound from new-fangled digital source into old-school analog hi-fi system

Pulling sound from new-fangled digital source into old-school analog hi-fi system

Now that I've reluctantly joined the ranks of HD-TV viewers I'm somewhat stumped by how to get the sound to my old JBLs without having to spend for modern HT front-ends. Truth be told, I'm enjoying the concerts offered on HD-TV but I can't stand TV speakers.

I'm on Comcast using a Toshiba LCD HD TV with no analog outputs. When I connect the hi-fi (into the Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control Four) to the Comcast box's analog audio outs there is a lag between the audio and the video displayed on the TV with the audio being ahead of the video. TV connection is HDMI out of the Scientific Atlanta box. Any suggestion for why or how to correct it?

I realize taking the audio from the TV should work but this model has only digital outs. Would something as simple as this little blob from Parts Express do the job (click the photo link)? Any other suggestions on the cheap?

Name:  180-997_s.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  7.1 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

In regard to the lag, there should be an adjustment on the TV itself to compensate for that. I think on mine it's called lip synch or something stupid like that. Have you tried futzing with that? It might save you from having to introduce anything else into the signal path...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    In regard to the lag, there should be an adjustment on the TV itself to compensate for that. I think on mine it's called lip synch or something stupid like that. Have you tried futzing with that? It might save you from having to introduce anything else into the signal path...
    Haven't found anything like it yet, but I'll keep looking. Though my sound source is the cable box, not the TV. If I use only the TV speakers, everything is in sync through HDMI output.

Thanks.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

The Toslink output on your monitor is only for outputting sound from the monitor's built in digital tuner, in case you still use a roof mounted antenna.

This is common, and is correctable in most of the last 2-3 generations of A/V receivers. Unfortunately, you may find that the delay varies from channel to channel or program to program (I remember two winter olympics' ago being especially bad). It is an interesting phenomenon as we find it very disturbing to hear something before we see it, but often don't don't notice the opposite, which we encounter often.

Unfortunately, fixing this may be as expensive as buying an entry level receiver. We used to spec in the Felston Digital Delays between Sat/Cable Boxes and A/V receiver's digital inputs:
    http://www.felston.com/dd340/index.htm

You would have to follow this up with a D/A convertor that is Dolby Digital capable, like this, before going into your preamp:
    http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5980

Put the two together, and you've spent $350. Maybe not good A/V receiver range, but not far off...

The other option would be to use one of the old Video advance processors from Anderson & Collins Micro Engineering to speed up the video. Unfortunately, they were component video only, so you might have connectivity problems. The company is now defunct, but I'll keep looking for an weblink. Maybe search Ebay?

tongue firmly thrust in cheek

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I realize taking the audio from the TV should work but this model has only digital outs. Would something as simple as this little blob from Parts Express do the job (click the photo link)? Any other suggestions on the cheap?

Name:  180-997_s.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  7.1 KB
    If you aren't going the route of an AVR, and that's slippery sand anyway, it seems like its hard to go wrong for $35! Pulling audio direct from the TV (which is from the HDMI feed) seems like it would skip all the video delay issues you mentioned ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Well, looks like I could do the JBL AV2 for only $600 . . .

But the cable box has both optical and coax digital outputs. Would seem those should certainly be carrying the same signal even if the TV isn't. Or is the delay caused by the HDMI?

Edit: But then maybe I could leverage this to rationalize the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC I've been wishing for . . .

Parts Express does not specify whether their D/A convertor is Dolby Digital Compatible, but all the cheap (<$100) D/A's I have seen are PCM only, which won't work, unless his cable box has a way to downconvert Dolby Digital to PCM, which I doubt.

Musical Fidelity M1 is PCM only as well - it will not decode Dolby Digital
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Now that I've reluctantly joined the ranks of HD-TV viewers I'm somewhat stumped by how to get the sound to my old JBLs without having to spend for modern HT front-ends. Truth be told, I'm enjoying the concerts offered on HD-TV but I can't stand TV speakers.
    Are you geared up for multichannel audio in that room anyway, or are you feeding 2 channel audio to the crowns and 4345s
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Parts Express does not specify whether their D/A convertor is Dolby Digital Compatible, but all the cheap (<$100) D/A's I have seen are PCM only, which won't work, unless his cable box has a way to downconvert Dolby Digital to PCM, which I doubt.
    The Comcast box has a toggle for digital-audio out. Either PCM or Dolby. Not considering anything beyond stereo at this time, in this room. But then I wasn't anticipating an HD TV, either, until the CRT failed me.

Also considering getting a PS3 as a BD player, at my teenage daughter's request. Assuming it has analog audio-out though I believe it requires an optional composite cable to do the deed.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Are you geared up for multichannel audio in that room anyway, or are you feeding 2 channel audio to the crowns and 4345s
    This room is so small the two 4345s are all the surround-sound we need!

PCM out - excellent! I think Tivo recorders have the same option. Unfortunately, you still need the audio delay...

But adding an AVR with analog pre-outs sure makes it easy. Simple. Painless. HDMI source/output switching, codec deciphering, I just run the FL/FR analog outs of a Marantz SR5003 to an input pair on the stereo preamp, set the level on the Marantz to 0dB, and go to town. Run multichannel sound? Use the Marantz remote to control all channels (have to remember the level for FL/FR on the pre) and it does it. Want to listen to TV in stereo only? Use the pre remote and select the input from the AVR.

But I have a DirecTV DVR, Roku HD/S and Oppo Bluray (analog sound outs) on the inputs to the Marantz, and just the FL/FR pair going to the stereo out. The onboard amp on the Marantz handles to surround duties.

I know you wanted to get around an AVR, but the flexibility advantage is just so worth it IMHO.

I checked a few Toshiba manuals and they don't specify if the Toslink out is only for the buit in ATSC tuner or will also output audio from any of the HDMI inputs - if it did, it would certainly be the exception, and I cannot say if it would cure your video delay issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    But adding an AVR with analog pre-outs sure makes it easy. Simple. Painless. ... I know you wanted to get around an AVR, but the flexibility advantage is just so worth it IMHO.
    Yeah, but at the present time it would seem a technology still in its infancy, without fixed standards, and with questionable stability!

Thread Information