Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DAC question

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Thanks Jerry. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear though. I wasn't suggesting a mid priced cd player for the dac. I was trying to keep the cost between $1000-1500. If he buys a converter/power supply for usb to s/pdif and has limited resources for the dac, an older 16/44 or 24/96 dac/cd player could be a good choice. My cd player/dac retailed for over $6k 5-6 years ago, but I bought it for about $1000 because it only plays native files to 24/96, and the guy who sold it was upgrading to 32 bit. Folks are selling off good quality (top of the line) 16/44 and 24/96 dacs pretty cheaply that sound great if your native files are 16/44 or 24/96, and you supply it a good s/pdif signal. I generally don't like upsampling and again, there's so little music of interest (to me) available above 24/96.
    In general I'd avoid a player, but I think you are spot on about the deeply discounted recent high end players.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    You are joking... right?

Widget
    The "wink" icon didn't give it away, eh?

I debated using the "big grin" or "stick out tongue" but apparently once again went the wrong direction

In seriousness, I believe once upon a time you did a comparison of your Bryston to the Oppo and were fairly kind to the Oppo by comparison, no?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Thread Information