Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2405H restore help

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Personally, I'd have a factory authorized repair shop that I trusted do the work. If there are production issues they are fully covered under the warranty when going this route and JBL will send replacements at no cost.

Widget

Maybe the factory authorized shops have access to better components than JBL sells to consumers. If not, you could be without tweeters for a very long time while the shop waits on usable parts.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    If not, you could be without tweeters for a very long time while the shop waits on usable parts.
    Perhaps, but what's the alternative? If you screw around with them yourself you could be out an equally long time and possibly out a lot more cash.

Widget

Expense aside, the new production JBL 'phragms appear to be unusable. So you can stick a blown Porche engine in your Porche and keep it in the garage, or stick a Focus engine in it and drive it.
    True but it wont drive like a Porche, I've always understood 'restore' to mean bring back to original condition.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Expense aside, response is one thing, character of sound/sound quality is another.
    A purist wouldn't call them 2405's because they no longer are.
    A bit like dropping a Focus engine into a Porche and still calling it a Porche.
    I am aware though that the originals can be rather pricey.........
    True but it wont drive like a Porche, I've always understood 'restore' to mean bring back to original condition.
    Expense aside, the new production JBL 'phragms appear to be unusable. So you can stick a blown Porche engine in your Porche and keep it in the garage, or stick a Focus engine in it and drive it.
    If you're going to use the analogy, please spell it right. Sit on your porch(e), own and drive a Porsche (two syllable please).

Personally, I'd have a factory authorized repair shop that I trusted do the work. If there are production issues they are fully covered under the warranty when going this route and JBL will send replacements at no cost.

Widget
    This really is the best way to go from a time and expense standpoint. The Factory service shop can, at your request at time of installation, run a frequency response test and listening test, and they'll pretty much know whether the diaphragm is good. If it isn't, and most of them will know right away if they have any experience with the 2405, then they can contact JBL for another diaphragm without you having to lose the time of picking it up and then returning it again. Plus if the unit fails under warranty, then you still have the backing of JBL for the warranty.

I know the issue of cost is sometimes difficult, but when you are paying for JBL engineering and production, you usually get the right results. So far, no aftermarket 2405/2402 diaphragm has even come close, mostly because the aftermarket producers are only interested in profit, not performance, and its not their name or reputation on the line with these parts (you can't even figure out who the real supplier is, at least that could give us some way of choosing a better aftermarket supplier). IF it was so easy to make such a small thing, you'd think they would have figured it out by now. There MAY be someone eventually who could consistently build a comparably good diaphragm to JBL, but I bet it won't be inexpensive either.

My 0.02.

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    If you're going to use the analogy, please spell it right. Sit on your porch(e), own and drive a Porsche (two syllable please).

This really is the best way to go from a time and expense standpoint. The Factory service shop can, at your request at time of installation, run a frequency response test and listening test, and they'll pretty much know whether the diaphragm is good. If it isn't, and most of them will know right away if they have any experience with the 2405, then they can contact JBL for another diaphragm without you having to lose the time of picking it up and then returning it again. Plus if the unit fails under warranty, then you still have the backing of JBL for the warranty.

I know the issue of cost is sometimes difficult, but when you are paying for JBL engineering and production, you usually get the right results. So far, no aftermarket 2405/2402 diaphragm has even come close, mostly because the aftermarket producers are only interested in profit, not performance, and its not their name or reputation on the line with these parts (you can't even figure out who the real supplier is, at least that could give us some way of choosing a better aftermarket supplier). IF it was so easy to make such a small thing, you'd think they would have figured it out by now. There MAY be someone eventually who could consistently build a comparably good diaphragm to JBL, but I bet it won't be inexpensive either.

My 0.02.

Bart
    Radian, are you listening?

Bart
    I blame the germans.

I blame the germans.
    Do they have a porch(e)?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Radian, are you listening?
    maybe for the other compression drivers, but they don't make anything for ring radiators like the 2405/077 or 2402/075.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Obsolete
    Porsche (two syllable please).
    The two syllable Henschel is better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Perhaps, but what's the alternative? If you screw around with them yourself you could be out an equally long time and possibly out a lot more cash.

Widget
    I think the best alternative would be to have a ready supply of usable factory diaphragms, but then I'm a hopeless romantic.

maybe for the other compression drivers, but they don't make anything for ring radiators like the 2405/077 or 2402/075.
    Hence my post. With the shear number of ring radiators on the planet, I dont see why they dont or wont produce an alternative to what is currently available.

Thread Information