Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2405H restore help

2405H restore help

I purchased a pair of 2405H that arrived in bad shape. So I sanded them down and repainted, now they look great!

Then I ordered and installed replacement diaphragms. Here comes the problem... the two tweets, both with new diaphragms do not sound the same.

I want to try to reseat/fuss with one of them but I don't know which one is off. Here are response curves of the two. I can't find response curves for this tweeter on the web so I don't know which one is closer to spec. Can anyone tell me which response appears to be more in line with what these tweeter should be?

Note: Measurement system not calibrated, and lots of noise in the room, but you get the idea.

Thanks

Name:  2404H.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  159.8 KB

Hello and welcome! What kind of diaphragms did you install?

Aftermarket, about $30ea. Thought I would try them, given the cost of the jbl parts.

Actually, the blue line sounds good. Sounds like a crossover is installed when it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveControl View Post
    Aftermarket, about $30ea. Thought I would try them, given the cost of the jbl parts.

Actually, the blue line sounds good. Sounds like a crossover is installed when it isn't.
    Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. I`ve had the misfortune of going that route on a couple of occasions, never again. The only good thing about them is that they "work"
    There is much info on these forums with regards to replacement diaphragms (Chinese) and the general consensus is that they are all crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    the general consensus is that they are all crap.
    I'm going to try the high shelf on the 2445/2380 before dropping $150+ each for the JBL diaphrgms.

I'm going to try the high shelf on the 2445/2380 before dropping $150+ each for the JBL diaphrgms.
    Sure worth a shot. It may not give you the sparkle a proper 2405 would but at the very least, the frequency response will be more consistent (assuming the 2445s are loaded with real `frams)

For $30, you might just buy a couple more and see if you can get a pair to match up fairly close. The new production JBL units seem to be stuggling with QC.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    For $30, you might just buy a couple more and see if you can get a pair to match up fairly close. The new production JBL units seem to be stuggling with QC.
    True that. Member Sekkes (sp?) recently had some issues with the now, made in Mexico JBL units.
    Groove, if your interested in trying Jeffs suggestion, I have a couple of `frams I can lay on you
    "pas chere" as we say here in La Belle Province

Thanks folks, I want to try removing/cleaning installing again.

Mike F, thanks for the offer, I'll get back to you on that.

Does anyone know which curve more closely resembles the original response curve of the 2405? I can't seem to find it.

Looking over this thread may help you.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...or-Comparisons

Thanks Scottie! The blue trace looks much closer to the 2405 graphs. It sounds much better too. I'll have to follow up with the vendor to see what this is all about. I would not have imagined that two new frams could sound & measure so differently.

Dan

Expense aside, response is one thing, character of sound/sound quality is another.
    A purist wouldn't call them 2405's because they no longer are.
    A bit like dropping a Focus engine into a Porche and still calling it a Porche.
    I am aware though that the originals can be rather pricey.........

I purchased a pair of 2405H that arrived in bad shape. So I sanded them down and repainted, now they look great!

Then I ordered and installed replacement diaphragms. Here comes the problem... the two tweets, both with new diaphragms do not sound the same.

I want to try to reseat/fuss with one of them but I don't know which one is off. Here are response curves of the two. I can't find response curves for this tweeter on the web so I don't know which one is closer to spec. Can anyone tell me which response appears to be more in line with what these tweeter should be?

Note: Measurement system not calibrated, and lots of noise in the room, but you get the idea.

Thanks

Name:  2404H.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  159.8 KB
    My experience with JBL2405 is: only original diaphragm D16R2405 would give You acceptable response, but for the (almost) same amount you can get the Beyma CP21-F driver ( http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20CP21F-1.htm ), but its 'character of the sound', is for me, 'a little bit intrusive' compared to a good JBL2405. I have no experience with BMS 4540 either, but with appropriated HF horn seems to be interesting solution too.

Trying with AF diaphragms , is wasting money , for my experience.
    Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Expense aside, response is one thing, character of sound/sound quality is another.
    A purist wouldn't call them 2405's because they no longer are.
    A bit like dropping a Focus engine into a Porche and still calling it a Porche.
    I am aware though that the originals can be rather pricey.........
    Expense aside, the new production JBL 'phragms appear to be unusable. So you can stick a blown Porche engine in your Porche and keep it in the garage, or stick a Focus engine in it and drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Expense aside, the new production JBL 'phragms appear to be unusable. So you can stick a blown Porche engine in your Porche and keep it in the garage, or stick a Focus engine in it and drive it.
    Personally, I'd have a factory authorized repair shop that I trusted do the work. If there are production issues they are fully covered under the warranty when going this route and JBL will send replacements at no cost.

Widget

Thread Information