Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: why does JBL 4365 only rank 10th in Japanese eyes?

The listening sessions were performed by two different listeners in different rooms: the engineer that did the technical test (G. Matarazzo) and one of the most experienced listener of the magazine (M. Cicogna). I report hereafter just the main comments of Mr. Cicogna (sorry for my bad English, with a little help by Google Translate ).

I am immediately impressed by the accuracy of the mid frequencies range of 4365. The music sounds clear, bright and very present.

The initial tracks of my selection are in fact dedicated to the Baroque repertoire, small instrumental groups and original instruments recordings, which are often among the most difficult to manage with the necessary balance.

Here we are on the right side (if you care to use that term) of "monitor", in the sense of a speaker capable of highlighting the contents of the disc, while maintaining with the software of good quality that natural pleasantness that the major manufacturers of loudspeaker systems have been able to guarantee.

My choice of piano in this period is centered on Decca recordings, a rich selection that allows us to enjoy the wide range of repertoire from Mozart to the twentieth century. Even at a moderate volume the left portion of the keyboard is solid and consistent, you do not feel imbalances in the transition between a range and the other. While the powerful octaves at low frequencies (Liszt) allow to appreciate the rich glaze of the Fazioli piano, the other more intimate passages of Chopin's poetry allow to read the meaning of the musical phrases without any trouble.

In concert (Brahms, Gershwin) the JBLs make clear the different rooms in different acoustic recordings, offering from time to time the correct balance between soloist and orchestra. There is no room for interpretation "bloodless" and indeed the 4365 reveal mediocrity. Who wants a "accommodating" speaker will do well to look elsewhere.

To move the woofers, nothing is better than "Fanfare for the Common Man" or "The Rite of Spring".
    Decisive impact, with attacks steady to really high listening levels too. Just a slight inertia of the woofer damping, but it is better so than with those very small woofers that someone calls "controlled".
    Good extension at the bottom end, although not outstanding in absolute. There are, however, very few significant music signals in the first octave and with 4365 the pedals of the organ in the church of St John the Divine (Telarc) are truly authoritative.

Extraordinary realism of orchestral timpani, thick and able to come out on a real level without distortion. An undeniable strength of this speaker.

Also with Telarc jazz-fusion acoustic-electronic you can increase the volume to very high level for the maximum satisfaction. I appreciate the solidity of the sax, blown and intense at the center of the sound stage.

These are speakers for connoisseurs, who don't retreat when they encounter strong flavors. At this price I can not imagine other so generous competitors.

Thumbs up

Looks like a great speaker! Japanese eyes or not!
    S4700 owner.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    Looks like a great speaker! Japanese eyes or not!
    Like I told you before, G.T. thinks your S4700 is the better bet. He designed them both.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Like I told you before, G.T. thinks your S4700 is the better bet. He designed them both.
    You did? I forgot! Sorry about that. Thanks!
    S4700 owner.

S4700 costs 50% more than 4365...

In my currency (SEK), listprices are 120k vs 185k. Thats psychologically twice as much, for me!

Quote Originally Posted by qcieri View Post
    The listening sessions were performed by two different listeners in different rooms: the engineer that did the technical test (G. Matarazzo) and one of the most experienced listener of the magazine (M. Cicogna). I report hereafter just the main comments of Mr. Cicogna (sorry for my bad English, with a little help by Google Translate ).

I am immediately impressed by the accuracy of the mid frequencies range of 4365. The music sounds clear, bright and very present.

The initial tracks of my selection are in fact dedicated to the Baroque repertoire, small instrumental groups and original instruments recordings, which are often among the most difficult to manage with the necessary balance.

Here we are on the right side (if you care to use that term) of "monitor", in the sense of a speaker capable of highlighting the contents of the disc, while maintaining with the software of good quality that natural pleasantness that the major manufacturers of loudspeaker systems have been able to guarantee.

My choice of piano in this period is centered on Decca recordings, a rich selection that allows us to enjoy the wide range of repertoire from Mozart to the twentieth century. Even at a moderate volume the left portion of the keyboard is solid and consistent, you do not feel imbalances in the transition between a range and the other. While the powerful octaves at low frequencies (Liszt) allow to appreciate the rich glaze of the Fazioli piano, the other more intimate passages of Chopin's poetry allow to read the meaning of the musical phrases without any trouble.

In concert (Brahms, Gershwin) the JBLs make clear the different rooms in different acoustic recordings, offering from time to time the correct balance between soloist and orchestra. There is no room for interpretation "bloodless" and indeed the 4365 reveal mediocrity. Who wants a "accommodating" speaker will do well to look elsewhere.

To move the woofers, nothing is better than "Fanfare for the Common Man" or "The Rite of Spring".
    Decisive impact, with attacks steady to really high listening levels too. Just a slight inertia of the woofer damping, but it is better so than with those very small woofers that someone calls "controlled".
    Good extension at the bottom end, although not outstanding in absolute. There are, however, very few significant music signals in the first octave and with 4365 the pedals of the organ in the church of St John the Divine (Telarc) are truly authoritative.

Extraordinary realism of orchestral timpani, thick and able to come out on a real level without distortion. An undeniable strength of this speaker.

Also with Telarc jazz-fusion acoustic-electronic you can increase the volume to very high level for the maximum satisfaction. I appreciate the solidity of the sax, blown and intense at the center of the sound stage.

These are speakers for connoisseurs, who don't retreat when they encounter strong flavors. At this price I can not imagine other so generous competitors.
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    S4700 costs 50% more than 4365...

In my currency (SEK), listprices are 120k vs 185k. Thats psychologically twice as much, for me!
    Well, get the 4365 then!
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    Well, get the 4365 then!
    I ordered them last week, togheter with a 4429 that will be my center

Estimated delivery in the beginning of May. Looong wait. So I enjoy reading positive italian reviews now!

I tried the 4365 extensively, I find them to be lean sounding compared with the older 43 series. Initially I thought it might be because it does not have the mid bass driver, but then my impression of my 4333 tells me that that the 4365 was voiced in a certain way, more accurate perhaps, but lacking in "whoomp" of the older series.

Seriously I would advise auditioning before purchase...

Estimated delivery in the beginning of May. Looong wait. So I enjoy reading positive italian reviews now!
    Good for you! Congrats!
    S4700 owner.

Impossiblehow can it be?4365 use 476mg (like 9900) and 045ti-1,but s4700 only use 175Nd-3 and 138Nd just like 4429.
    they are not in the same level
    46 lover

Mctwins

Din lyckans ost!

Congrats to your purchase, great speakers allthou I have never heard them but I have listening to S4700 and to me it sounded JBL. I bet 4365 will sound the same.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Impossiblehow can it be?4365 use 476mg (like 9900) and 045ti-1,but s4700 only use 175Nd-3 and 138Nd just like 4429.
    they are not in the same level
    The components in the 4365 were top shelf and absolutely worth owning.

The S4700, as a system, ended up being more musical.

Thanks Greg!!
    Always fun learning more.......

The components in the 4365 were top shelf and absolutely worth owning.

More musical?means more suitable for home use?
    I think 4365 has the capability to challenge 9900
    46 lover

Thread Information