Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: why does JBL 4365 only rank 10th in Japanese eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Jj... a generalization I've not seen warranted, nor one I personally subscribe to.
    I've always thought it would be fun to own a pair of older SA/1 monoblocks.
    Sorry, I should have specified "Pass Labs", the SA/1 is a Threshold amp I believe.

Indeed. I view older Threshold and Pass Labs as having the same creative force behind the companies,
    and have also heard the XA30.5 + XVR-1 + Levinson No. 433 driving Everest 2's quite nicely a few years
    ago (by way of the Design Interaction show demo). There may have been an X250(.5?) swapped in at
    some point ... It's been too long now.

I'm not sure there's much to complain about, sound-wise.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    Yeah, I think so too. Haha, well I can hear up to 18Khz. I'm 41. Is that good?
    Yep.

BTW - I have thousands of hearing test results at my fingertips... all that means is that I get a good chuckle out of all that "air" being heard above twenty thousand cycles.

Way the hell Off Topic but, ...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    BTW - I have thousands of hearing test results at my fingertips... all that means is that I get a good chuckle out of all that "air" being heard above twenty thousand cycles.
    Years ago when Zilch and I were measuring the ring radiators, he flat out couldn't hear the sine wave test tones above about 9KHz, yet he could hear the tweeters under test and had opinions about their relative sonic signatures. I'm not saying he could appreciate the nuance as well as a much younger person, but he certainly could still enjoy the speakers which he theoretically couldn't "hear".

When I was 18 I could hear 20KHz sine waves... today I top out at 15KHz. Back then I listened to EV T-35As and 2405s... now I have magnificent Be tweeters and undoubtedly am not hearing all that they can offer.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    Yeah, I think so too. Haha, well I can hear up to 18Khz. I'm 41. Is that good?
    I've got 23 years on you and consider myself lucky to make 14.5-15k (and I spent my wasted youth at rock concerts, aboard hueys and on the flight deck of a carrier ...
    you want loud ? stand next to a Phantom spinning up ...)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I think you'll find that Pass amps are not very well regarded on this site.
    not the way I read it.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Sorry, I should have specified "Pass Labs", the SA/1 is a Threshold amp I believe.
    Why are you still battling a one man's war against Pass Labs? I personally like their products, but if you have found something you like better that's fine and I'd be curious to hear from you about that, but to constantly damn Pass Labs? Don't you have something better to do with your time?

Widget

Lol... not way off topic... In my view, it started out as what is perceived, what is accepted, what is valued, what is enjoyed...

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    now I have magnificent Be tweeters and undoubtedly am not hearing all that they can offer.
    Maybe not all the good parts, but they do offer up a generous dose of comb filtering. Just don't measure them and it will all be fine.
    Why are you still battling a one man's war against Pass Labs? I personally like their products, but if you have found something you like better that's fine and I'd be curious to hear from you about that, but to constantly damn Pass Labs? Don't you have something better to do with your time?
    To this day I still don't know what happened with all that. My take on it was someone was pissed off about billet aluminum faceplates and someone else wasn't, someone hated blue lights and someone else didn't.

I simply went out and bought some billet aluminum facades with blue lights for all my gear. That's all I got out of it.

Why are you still battling a one man's war against Pass Labs? ...but to constantly damn Pass Labs?
    I'm the one who bought them, others were the ones who damned them. I thought they were fine products, even though I never really commented about how they sounded. Just owning them seemed to set people off.

Obsolete
    I'm the one who bought them, others were the ones who damned them. I thought they were fine products, even though I never really commented about how they sounded. Just owning them seemed to set people off.
    That's exactly why I won't tell people that all I own is a close and play.

Oh wait...

That's really all I'm trying to say - Great stuff, just don't mention owning it.

No more hijacks, buy what you like and enjoy yourself, can't get any simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    That's exactly why I won't tell people that all I own is a close and play.

Oh wait...
    really ?
    I always figured you as a Bose LifeStyle system kinda guy
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    really ?
    Now Mr. Wolf... that is almost a ban-able offense!

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    really ?
    Yeah... like I can afford that!

I think you'll find that Pass amps are not very well regarded on this site. I say buy what you like, but Pass gear is a damn hard sale around here.
    On this site ??? I find that a curious generalisation not having noticed a Pass or Threshold slam fest going on.

My 2 cents is this , having dealt with Threshold in the past and met Nelson on a few occasions I have no reservations whatsoever in recommending his products. That refers to sound quality , reliability , build quality , backup , the whole nine yards.

M

Thread Information