I've started this new thread from an OT conversation that I think deserves some discussion. I would love to see the topic expanded upon. If you've experimented with imaging please share your thoughts.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown
I've never heard the 1400 Array, so if I'm reading this right the vertical arrangement gives a taller somewhat deeper soundstage? Can you describe the horizontal effect?
A 90x40 Constant Directivety horn has a Vertical polar pattern something resembling the following ( turn the horn sideways like the 1400 Array , this becomes the horizontal coverage ) ;

The following is a polar pattern for some wide dispersion CD horns, (as measured in the horizontal ) .

The first pattern exhibits a lot more "beaming" when compared to the second ( as defined by the 6db & 10db down points ) .

One can get a very similar ( though not duplicate ) "imaging effect" by simply using the older radial type horns ( in their normal orientation, since they also "beam" ) .

PS ; Considering the ongoing interest ( & comparisons being articulated ) between the E2 and the Array1400 , it would interesting ( & enlightening even ) to see a comparison of their respective polar responses ( Horizontal, from 1K to 10K ) .