Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Theater Thread continues

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    So . . . what kind of Pepperidge Farm cookies are those?
    Whatever Emma got last time ... my fav Cappucines are out of production these days ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

May not be a big enough move up, but Sams Club has 51 inch LG plasmas for $474. Brought one home for the kitchen TV at that price. Does not look good next to cranked up LCD/LED screens in the store; at home, it is quite good. Not drop off in viewing at angle, great blacks/contrast/color. An amazing value for the price.
    Used to be interested in Vandersteens in the past, had some in the home for awhile, just never quite fell in love.
    Have you heard PS speakers? Might be a bridge between the Vandy appeal and the classic JBL.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    May not be a big enough move up, but Sams Club has 51 inch LG plasmas for $474. Brought one home for the kitchen TV at that price. Does not look good next to cranked up LCD/LED screens in the store; at home, it is quite good. Not drop off in viewing at angle, great blacks/contrast/color. An amazing value for the price.
    Used to be interested in Vandersteens in the past, had some in the home for awhile, just never quite fell in love.
    Have you heard PS speakers? Might be a bridge between the Vandy appeal and the classic JBL.
    I'm on a 47" Vizio right now - the 51 Plasma seems like a killer price - but not much of an upgrade sizewise ...
    I'll go have a look tho ... better image is worthwhile!

I've got a friend locally keeps trying to sell me on Legacy speakers -
    he's got a nice HT system with them and Mark Levinson amp -
    plus 4 homebrew 2445 subs in the corner run on Adcom monoblocks ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I've got a friend locally keeps trying to sell me on Legacy speakers -
    he's got a nice HT system with them and Mark Levinson amp -
    plus 4 homebrew 2445 subs in the corner run on Adcom monoblocks ...
    Sounds like a suspicious character!

The Legacy's Heather is referring to is a pair of 1999 Focus model. I purchased them new and still love them to this day. Flawless operation and they just plain sound great. I keep auditioning other speakers (that I might actually be able to afford) and haven't found any yet that make me want to make a change. Although Legacy is coming out with a new Focus that uses Heil Air Motion Transformers for the tweeter/super tweeter. I'm taking a serious look at those!

Regarding the homebrew subs; I had been thrilled with the operation of two in my last home, but less than impressed with the operation of four in my current home. A couple weeks ago I decided one last time to check the phasing on everything and found that I had hooked up one of the 2245's out of phase when loading it in the cabinet. I really felt like an idiot!

But, the sound now is so smooth, so low, and can go so darn loud, that I quickly got over it!

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    ...51 inch LG plasmas.... Brought one home for the kitchen TV at that price. Does not look good next to cranked up LCD/LED screens in the store; at home, it is quite good. Not drop off in viewing at angle, great blacks/contrast/color. An amazing value for the price.
    I am not familiar with the LG Plasma offerings, but in general I much prefer Plasma over the LCD and LCD/LED look... the LCD TVs are like postcards, the color saturation and contrast are both set to 11 and if you try to detune them they look washed out and lifeless. Another benefit of plasma technology is the orders of magnitude faster refresh rate... you get a lot fewer motion artifacts, especially on lower resolution programming.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    a new Focus that uses Heil Air Motion Transformers for the tweeter/super tweeter. I'm taking a serious look at those!
    have been swapping stereo/speaker gear for a long time, but somehow never got to hear The Heil AMT before lately. My new-to-me ESS bookshelves have the larger Heil (they are 2 ways, so its handling both HF & MF) ...its is a nearly a revelation to me ...the sound is sweet at a neutral setting and can get quite sharp if adjusted that way (and these are 63 y.o. ears listening). The image is very wide and detailed.

From my experience, I would not hesitate to recommend demoing any system using the HAMT
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    have been swapping stereo/speaker gear for a long time, but somehow never got to hear The Heil AMT before lately. My new-to-me ESS bookshelves have the larger Heil (they are 2 ways, so its handling both HF & MF) ...its is a nearly a revelation to me ...the sound is sweet at a neutral setting and can get quite sharp if adjusted that way (and these are 63 y.o. ears listening). The image is very wide and detailed.From my experience, I would not hesitate to recommend demoing any system using the HAMT
    I heard the patent for the AMT expired and that's why several manufacturers are now incorporating them in their designs (ADAM, Martin Logan, Golden Ear, Carver, etc.). Lucky for us!

So maybe a good pair of HAMT could help me go back to 2 way performance and sell off those much cursed (not by me) JBL horns??
    I'd have to see the specs - but if they'd crossover at 900 or 1200Hz ... ???

Just purchased a 50 inch lg plasma from micro center $499 one hour ago. It is for the office but powered it up and boy does it look nice.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_daddy View Post
    Just purchased a 50 inch lg plasma from micro center $499 one hour ago. It is for the office but powered it up and boy does it look nice.
    It IS very tempting - I looked it up the other day and noticed I could get similar 50 in Plasma monitors from Sam's Club, BJ's Club, and Costco ...
    all for under $600

What do they know that we don't ... or, should I say, what can we expect for Black Friday?

It does look like the LG 60" plasma can be found for under $999 right now ...
    I think that 10 inch difference might be worth it!

What do they know that we don't ... or, should I say, what can we expect for Black Friday?
    You know I don't know squat about HT but it would appear that if you're not selling interactive "smart" TVs, your products are out of date. Perhaps we're seeing dumping prior to the introduction of the Apple iTV and Google TV? Just a thought.

Name:  screenshot_062.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  31.0 KB Name:  apple_tv_2012_interface-500x308.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  44.4 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Extremely doubtful either of them will come in 50+ inch screen models!
    And if they don't, they aren't relevant to the discussion. Really!
    Touch screens aren't for home theater either - and won't be in big screen models.

But I'd be interested to see what an Apple iTV might be - I envision something like the iMac,
    unlike the older AppleTV [160] I did own, or the current model they offer -
    great for a $100 gadget, but not hugely compelling for many folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    You know I don't know squat about HT but it would appear that if you're not selling interactive "smart" TVs,
    your products are out of date. Perhaps we're seeing dumping prior to the introduction of the Apple iTV and Google TV? Just a thought.

Name:  screenshot_062.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  31.0 KB Name:  apple_tv_2012_interface-500x308.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  44.4 KB

Extremely doubtful either of them will come in 50+ inch screen models!
    And if they don't, they aren't relevant to the discussion. Really!
    Touch screens aren't for home theater either - and won't be in big screen models.

But I'd be interested to see what an Apple iTV might be - I envision something like the iMac,
    unlike the older AppleTV [160] I did own, or the current model they offer -
    great for a $100 gadget, but not hugely compelling for many folks.
    You asked why the big price drops.

The future of TV may not depend on touch-screen as much as connectivity. What's the biggest deal in smart-phone apps these days? It's connectivity, whether you're controlling your music server with your iPhone or your in-dash sound and navigation system. No one expects to have to touch the screen of an Apple iTV or a Google TV, but they do expect it to be controlled through their phones and do everything their current home computer does but through their TV. It's the next step in merging Internet with TV and replacing your home computer with your connected TV. Super Sunday sales will likely be the blow-out opportunity for the non-connected TV.

That can be a good thing for those of us who use our TV for TV and our computers in their traditional roles. Not everyone needs to be connected. Just as some of us cling to our two-channel systems and even our analog sources. Another issue may be newer power-saving technology. Energy-Star 5.0 standards for HD TV went into effect in 2012. You may be seeing old-stock clearances for non-complying models under Energy-Star 3.0 standards which allowed over three-times the energy use in 50-inch and 60-inch TVs.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I am not familiar with the LG Plasma offerings, but in general I much prefer Plasma over the LCD and LCD/LED look... the LCD TVs are like postcards, the color saturation and contrast are both set to 11 and if you try to detune them they look washed out and lifeless. Another benefit of plasma technology is the orders of magnitude faster refresh rate... you get a lot fewer motion artifacts, especially on lower resolution programming.

Widget
    Precisely. I thought about the Panasonic plasma and a Samsung, decided to just go with the LG as the cheapest of them, looked at all the LCD/LED's, and the postcard analogy is great. The refresh rate was important to me; 60-120-240. Blah. I watch football and the motion artifacts are annoying. I think the plasma is like 660 refresh or something like that. Anyway, I've really enjoyed the image, and with that price...........

FWIW - If one is looking to buy a TV, I would recommend searching local Craigslist for a used Pioneer 8G or 9G plasma.

I had been searching for a bedroom TV for quite some time. Looked a Panasonic Plasma, Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc. etc.

Of the brands above, my favorite was the Panasonic Plasmas - especially their VT serious - they are expensive - but they are mighty good.

Then, I saw an ad on my local CL for a used 50" Pioneer 8G plasma for $800. Not knowing much about Pioneer Kuro, I decided that I should at least go check it out - just for the sake of checking it out.

I was SHOCKED beyond belief at the picture quality - this TV was manufactured in Oct 2007 and had much better picture quality than anything being sold today at that price.

$800 later - the TV installed in my bedroom. Granted it does not have all the apps and wifi connectivity, but the $100 devices like AppleTV, GoogleTV, Roku, etc - its really no big deal.

Thread Information