Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Home Theater Thread continues

News

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    I do not live in China and I have (unfortunately) never been in USA.
    But I'm pretty sure the news from TV are not giving the right picture of living in USA.
    Just my 2ct,

I have been using the 1990 L series for my HT for several years. Name:  019.JPG
Views: 1619
Size:  121.3 KB
    And now I have acquired enough XPL series I am going to try them for a while. My XPL 200's sound very good, better than the L7's. I am using 2 L8400's for subs and a B380 clone for a music sub.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

'Minor upgrades ....
    I had a chance for a pair of Vandersteen 3A speakers at an affordable price recently and made a run Saturday to pick them up in Ephrata, PA - (near Harrisburg, PA) .
    Got them home by 6PM Saturday and got them in the house, and then had a day away Sunday so Emma could speak in Harrisonburg, VA ...
    Got home by 3PM Sunday, pulled the Vandy 2CEs from the front, put them on the sides, and pulled the older Vandy 2CIs (now for sale) out of the system.

Popped the 3As into place as front mains (on the B&K ST202plus amp) and relaxed for a few hours ...
    Played some streaming tracks via airtunes, then
    Diana Krall - Live in Rio bluray (played a few tracks from the main concert - nice!)
    Master and Commander bluray (Ambush in the fog, and the musical Duet scenes)
    Skyfall bluray - (the train crash, and - the final destruction of Skyfall via propane and helicopter)
    Mary Poppins - (DVD) Feed the Birds (had to! We played Savings Mr Banks last weekend and I needed a taste of the original)

So far, its a nice upgrade ...

I did put the Lack shelves in a couple months back per Emma's request - and with the Taller 3As (48 inch, vs 40 inch for the previous 2CEs)
    it looks like I need to slide the TV left a bit on the wall mounts - its centered in the Window but not for the speakers.
    Name:  Vandy-3A-downstairs.jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  90.4 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Yet another upgrade. We've been interested in the Magnepan speakers for the upstairs room
    and went and to a local dealer to demo them - see what the new stuff is like. Very Nice!

Anyway - Emma asked about prices on the peripherals in the setup .. the guys blushed and mentioned the
    Transparent cables (?) were probably $7k and the VTL 200w tube amp was something like $10k ..
    plus there was a rack of other parts (CD player, preamp, etc) involved.

I'd checked their website earlier in the day and noticed a used section, which includedBryston 4b amps -
    so I asked if he could put the older 4b NRB amp into play instead of that pricey VTL.

Everything still sounded quite nice - and Emma is very keen on the newer mags (tho I'm going to look for something newer used instead of dropping $6400 for a new pair (!)) ... But since the newer speakers deserve a better amp - I wound up buying the used Bryston and brought it home.

And since we don't have anything really high end upstairs - I pulled the B&K ST202plus that ran the front mains and
    swapped it into place running the Vandersteen 3As downstairs.

First bug was - we now had a 60 cycle hum! The amp has a "ground lifter" switch, and that minimized it,
    but anything like that isn't right and makes me crazy.
    We lived with it for the movie last night, but this morning after Emma headed to church, I started hunting it down.

On a hunch, I remembered we'd initially had a hum from the FIOS - and I had an in-line coaxial isolation gadget.
    So I flipped the ground lifter out to get the worst possible hum, then pulled the coax off the TIVO,
    slipped the adapter onto the cable, and reconnected the incoming coax.
    Its very faint now - flipping the ground lifter has no change.

I'll have to dig a bit further at some point, but you can ONLY hear it when I chose an unused choice on the preamp (like VCR in),
    its mighty low now.

Otherwise - yes, its made a difference. The B&K was 200w at 8 ohms - the B4b NRB is 250w at 8 ohms -
    I know thats really not much change per the RATED power - but I suspect the Bryston does well above rated power.
    It does seem to have a fuller, tighter bass on the mains (Its set with no sub when 2 chan mode sources are involved)
    The Vandys are 6 ohms, minimal 4 ohms ... so I suspect I'm getting 350-400w/ch range -
    tho we never run loud - having a margin seems to help.
    The Salamander cabinet has screens in the bottom of each column so that helps with convection,
    and I put 4 rubber/cork isolation blocks at the outer corners between all my gear these days
    (bought them from an industrial supply house quite cheaply) - just to be sure there is adequate space for good airflow.

On reflection, looking at the picture - I may wind up putting the Emotiva on the bottom of the stack,
    just so its not in a hot seat directly above the Bryston.

Name:  Bryston-4bNRB-Amp-8698.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  85.0 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

JBL Synthesis Theater

Just wanted to show my humble home theater. JBL SK2-1000 in a baffle wall and four S1S-EX subs (one in the back of the room). All powered by Crown CTs amps and BSS Soundweb London. Sorry for the image quality.

Name:  2014-09-25 22.08.16.jpg
Views: 5662
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  2014-09-25 22.36.52.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  2014-09-27 18.00.14.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  152.9 KB

Very nice setup Jonas!!

Did get the impression a while ago that you didn't like SK2-1000 but things have changed since you have bought them?

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Very nice setup Jonas!!

Did get the impression a while ago that you didn't like SK2-1000 but things have changed since you have bought them?
    Thanks! You are absolutely right. I while ago I was offered three of them for a great price but two demos where I never really liked them kept me from buying. Because they are the top 'behind the screen' speakers in the synthesis systems and their components are very good it nagged me very much that I didn't like them at the demos.

So I got the chance to get them home, and what a difference it made. Proper room treatment and calibration is the key to make these speakers shine. I am very satisfied.

Very cool system, Jonas - wish I could come for a listen, or a film!
    It must be amazing!

Thanks! If you're ever in Denmark then come take a listen

My next steps are new surround channels (I'm currently using 6 JBL L810) and would like to use the S4Ai instead, but they're pretty expensive. I would like to switch to the new Synthesis amps with digital input from the DSP as well. Again they're pretty expensive, so I think I'm gonna wait some time before upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Proper room treatment and calibration is the key to make these speakers shine. I am very satisfied.
    Key to make most speakers shine... looks like you did your homework.

Congratulations on an excellent HT!

Widget

Thread Information