Thread: How to trash a pair of XPL140A's (Without Really Hurting Them)

Cool How to trash a pair of XPL140A's (Without Really Hurting Them)

Start by tossing the original 116H-3's 'cause the foam rotted. Find a pair of car woofers that sort of fit. Then completely bypass the crossovers, adding a single capacitor to the mids and tweets. Finish by attempting to solder the connections everywhere, but fail miserably, dropping solder on the original crossovers. Oh and find some duct tape to cover the mess you made with the solder on one cabinet, but use masking tape on the other.

Who would do such a thing?

Bottom line, picked them up cheap and with a few minutes work should get them working enough to evaluate the drivers. Fortunately they all read good on my ohmmeter, and all the domes are undented. So now I guess I'm looking for a pair of 116H-3's.

Cabinets are fair, a few tiny imperfections only, and the grilles are totally intact, with only a few abrasions on the cloth.

Sorry about the fuzzy pics, FlipCam...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Cool Questions...

I noticed that one of the port tubes has a few bits missing on the flange. Part #70515-02 (Not For Sale). Possible to find?

Polarity of the 116H-3? <Found the footnote on the T/S, my assumption was correct.>

The crap woof that came with is positive to red for forward motion, I'm assuming for now that the original was too.

The input cup is missing the straps also, they are not listed in the T/S. Worth looking for? I'd need 4.

Wiring some jumpers as you read. Fortunately there was lots of extra wire inside the cabs...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Cool Foam size/source?

OK, all back together and working as they should. I wired them up bi-amped initially, they do sound pretty good, although there is a bit of grit at higher levels that makes me think the domes may need the damping replaced.

What foam have people used for this that works right? 6X6mm or 1/4X1/4" is what I found for the size using search. I'll be opening them up shortly to check.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    OK, all back together and working as they should. I wired them up bi-amped initially, they do sound pretty good, although there is a bit of grit at higher levels that makes me think the domes may need the damping replaced.

What foam have people used for this that works right? 6X6mm or 1/4X1/4" is what I found for the size using search. I'll be opening them up shortly to check.
    I have not replaced the foam, as yet, my set of 093 mids. I am due to check on that but when I last had them open the existing foam reminded me of the compressible window insulating foam I have used. Quarter inch high.

I also recall that the diaphragm assemblies were sensitive to positioning when reinstalling. I used a test signal and it took some patience as I was tightening down the screws to get a clear tone.

I have not had the 046 tweeters open as yet. Also due for inspection.
    David F
    San Jose

Cool Sticky Foam

Thanks David. This pair has two issues, the foam ring is about to dissolve and the foam pad in the rear has also seen better days.

Both pieces are a little sticky and do not "bounce back" when compressed. There is a little bit of goo stuck to the back of the diamond surround, should not be too hard to clean. Fortunately it had not gotten in the gap yet. The rear pad is similar to the one used in the compression driver covers, it has a layer of glue still covered by the paper sheet, so it's not actually stuck to anything. It would be nice to know if it's the same stuff with a hole cut in the middle...Name:  093TI Foam.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  87.4 KBName:  093TI Diamond.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  101.4 KB

I'm off to the cover the gap.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    I have not had the 046 tweeters open as yet. Also due for inspection.
    Thanks, it seems the tone is SOP with domes of all sorts.

I just opened one 046TI and found that the thin foam pad on the pole piece was disintegrating and partially stuck on the underside of the dome.
    There was what seemed like adhesive forming a ring around the outside of the gap, almost like there used to be a ring of foam under the diamond surround, but there was no foam evident. So now I need the thin foam pads as well, and possibly some small foam rings for the 046TI's. I suppose I should change the ferrofluid as long as I'm in there. Anyone know where to get that?
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Cool Ferrofluid Source?

Found PE sells Ferrofluid:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=340-540

Is that the right stuff?

The original fluid has dried up a bit on one gap, it's like a thick paste, and it's only on the top plate and pole piece, there is not enough to bridge the gap. The other seems a little better, it at least bridges the gap.

Still looking for a source for the 1/2" black foam back pad for the 093Ti, and the 1/8" or so black foam pad under the dome on the 046Ti.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Thread Information