Thread: Westlake Audio BBSM-10 + SWP

Westlake Audio BBSM-10 + SWP

I'd like to say thanks to Mr. Widget and Edgewound for helping me revive these speakers 3 years ago. Mr. Widget got me the recone kits on the TAD 1801's and Edgewound did the recone job. I've just gotten a chance to fire these speakers up for the first time and they are great sounding! Again, big thanks to Widget and Edgewound
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Keith

They look great! How to they compare to your TAD monitors?

Just curious: why did you need to recone the TL1801s ?
    On you picture it looks like the audax mid from the right speaker would need a ressurround?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    They look great! How to they compare to your TAD monitors?

Just curious: why did you need to recone the TL1801s ?
    On you picture it looks like the audax mid from the right speaker would need a ressurround?
    Hi Pos, if you're talking about the speaker in my avatar I actually don't own it so I don't know how the Westlakes would compare The Audax mids were replaced and they are still perfectly fine, it might be the lighting in the photo or something, they don't need to resurround.

I bought the BBSM-10's 5 yrs ago with broken audax mids on ebay. Then a year later I got lucky and got a pair of SWPs with broken cones. I was away at school at the time so I left them sitting there for a year. When I was home again 3 yrs ago Mr. Widget helped me with the recone kit and Edgewound did the job. When the 1801's were finished I brought the whole pile of still non working junk to Westlake Audio (I live a few miles away from them) and had them revive the speakers. I thought the SWPs would be fine after the recone, but nope one of them still didn't make any sound. When Westlake opened it up they saw burn marks on the crossover and fiberglass filling! I guess somebody was trying to shake the house down with these... Anyway, a couple of weeks later with brand new Audax mids, updated crossovers on both BBSM's and SWP's I have a pair of good as new Westlakes I should mention that a couple of the guys at Westlake specifically made a comment on how well the TAD 1801's were reconed and asked where they were done at. So for everyone who needs to recone, go PM Edgewound, he's the man. Fast forward 3 yrs to now, I bought the Brystons you see in the middle and finally fired them up. That's the story! Again, big thanks to Widget, Edgewound, and of course Westlake Audio.
    Keith

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by KCCT82 View Post
    ... Fast forward 3 yrs to now, I bought the Brystons you see in the middle and finally fired them up. That's the story! Again, big thanks to Widget, Edgewound, and of course Westlake Audio.
    Brystons do make the BBSM's shine, congrats on the system!to the ones who helped as well.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Just stumbled on this thread... I'm glad to have been able to help. Looks like a great system. I have used those Audax mids in my own DIY projects years ago, I always loved them. Very articulate and transparent, not to mention pretty darned dynamic for a cone.

Are those Zilch plumber's plugs?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Just stumbled on this thread... I'm glad to have been able to help. Looks like a great system. I have used those Audax mids in my own DIY projects years ago, I always loved them. Very articulate and transparent, not to mention pretty darned dynamic for a cone.

Are those Zilch plumber's plugs?

Widget
    Hi Widget, I don't know what Zilch plugs are but I got those 2" test plugs at a hardware store. Westlake told me to buy them and seal the 10's ports... good thing I have the pro version speakers, imagine walnut veneer and those plugs... classy

Keith
    Keith

Hi Widget, I don't know what Zilch plugs are but I got those 2" test plugs at a hardware store. Westlake told me to buy them and seal the 10's ports... good thing I have the pro version speakers, imagine walnut veneer and those plugs... classy Keith
    Zilch plugs are basically industrial pipe-plugs - i got mine from Home Despot and use it to plug one of the 2 ports in my L200s Its basically a rubber doughnut between what amounts to 2 washers, held together with a carriage bolt and nut ... tightening the exposed nut pulls the "washers" together, the rubber doughnut swells up and locks itself into place in the pipe, vent, or port.

You can see it in the port to your right - I painted the shiny metal front of mine flat black so it'd hide better under the grill cloth.

Name:  ZilchPlug.jpg
Views: 3293
Size:  94.5 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Zilch plugs are basically industrial pipe-plugs - i got mine from Home Despot and use it to plug one of the 2 ports in my L200s Its basically a rubber doughnut between what amounts to 2 washers, held together with a carriage bolt and nut ... tightening the exposed nut pulls the "washers" together, the rubber doughnut swells up and locks itself into place in the pipe, vent, or port.

You can see it in the port to your right - I painted the shiny metal front of mine flat black so it'd hide better under the grill cloth.

Name:  ZilchPlug.jpg
Views: 3293
Size:  94.5 KB
    Hello hjames, that's exactly what I am using, I didn't know they were called Zilch plugs... Painting them matte black definitely look a lot better!

Keith
    Keith

This is what mine looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Keith

Westlake bbsm 8

Hi, I have a pair BBSM8, great speakers, and I am looking for a pair subwoofer B 8SWP. I live in France. If one of you know where I could find them; or if you could have the plan of them, I can have a good cabinet-maker. Think you for your help.

Keith,

Just curious about sealing the ports. I have a pair of bbsm-10s too. Did Westlake tell you to seal them because of adding swp subwoofers in your system, or because they found sealing is general better for bbsm-10s, or because they updated the crossovers for the new Audax midranges?

Thank you!

Hi Widget, I don't know what Zilch plugs are but I got those 2" test plugs at a hardware store. Westlake told me to buy them and seal the 10's ports... good thing I have the pro version speakers, imagine walnut veneer and those plugs... classy

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by azzd View Post
    Keith,

Just curious about sealing the ports. I have a pair of bbsm-10s too. Did Westlake tell you to seal them because of adding swp subwoofers in your system, or because they found sealing is general better for bbsm-10s, or because they updated the crossovers for the new Audax midranges?

Thank you!
    The plugs are only needed when you use the SWP's. They turn the BBSM-10's into sealed enclosures for integrating with the SWP's. They have nothing to do with the Audax drivers and updated crossovers.
    Keith

Thread Information