Thread: Getting the horn (802/811B)

Getting the horn (802/811B)

I've been fascinated by horns for a long time now but haven't made the move. I must confess I haven't even heard a set in the home environment. I've been mucking around with large speakers for about 6yrs now, starting with a pair of Tannoy Berkeley 15" Dual Concentrics. Then I made a pair of 5ft tall monsters (12" fullrange with FT17H tweeter in a sealed 3cft cab and a 15" in its own sealed 7cft cab) Now I'm using the 12" fullranger in smaller 'onken' derived cabs.

I just love the ease with which big driver/high efficiency systems produce music. The latent power reserves and speed with which it can be bought to bare are addictive! That and I am addicted to http://www.youtube.com/user/hosoken007/videos

I have 2 pairs of 802/811b's available for about the same money. One is in the US and the other over here in the UK. The US pair look to be in better general condition. I'll be diy'ing the cabs & crossover.

I have a few questions if I may? (thats not one of them)

1) I can't find much on the sound of the 802/811b combo - whats it like at home?
    2) is the 802/811b a good/great system to get into or would I be better off saving for something a bit more modern?
    3) what are the costs & skills needed to replace the diaphragm etc?

Many thanks in advance

James

Wrong place?

I apologise - I think I should have posted this in the 'General Information' or 'Technical Help' - Could a moderator pop it in the right place please?

Posted here as will be a DIY project but I'm not there yet am I?

Some more info. Both pairs are the 'tangerine' version which appears to be the better 802 version. I've read up on horn damping and decided to put them in a cab (and other mods) as a well braced front will help with vibration. I understand they don't go too high so I may need help up there and that They can go low but crossing over around 1200-1500 would be ideal.

I just cant find so much on the sound itself, viable alternatives and the replacement of the diaphragm and also remagnetising (sounds serious and costly....)

hellooooooooo? anybody there?

117 views in 33hrs and not even a 'you posted in the wrong section' or 'read this'

Did I break a rule, is there some initiation I've missed or do I just smell funky?

OK the plot thickens

the original 802-8gs & 811 are still there
    I now have 808-8 converted to 802-8 with NOS 511 horns available
    I also have found a pair of 902-8 available but I'll have to buy horns separately

They'll all be mated to a 15" bass/low-mid and maybe something up top if need be

What to do? Please!!

OK, let me take a stub at this

I am not an expert at this Altec stuff by no means. The diaphragm in the Altec small format drivers are easily removed and replaced. You just have to have a screw driver and be very careful not to damage the fragile diaphragm. You remove the screws holding the cover down, and then remover the screws holding the diaphragm on the driver, and remove diaphragm and reverse to replace the diaphragm.

I personally have a tri-amped Altec with 2 414-8B woofer, 806driver/811 horn, and an alnico EV T350 super tweeter. I have a Decoursey electronic crossover to 2 Crown DC75 amps powering the tweeter, and a SWTP 60watt amps powering the woofers. This is more than enough power to driver my speakers to ear shattering levels in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
    117 views in 33hrs and not even a 'you posted in the wrong section' or 'read this'

Did I break a rule, is there some initiation I've missed or do I just smell funky?
    No rules broken. Welcome to the forum. Me thinks that the 811/802 combo is pretty much covered under the Altec Nineteen format or the A7 derivatives. I don't recall too much deviation from those tried-and-true patterns for a DIY project. So perhaps folks don't have much more to offer than what's pretty much been covered by the original designs. Have you poked around the Altec forum for some guidance?
    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...ers-board.html
    David F
    San Jose

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ighlight=altec

These are world class drivers. I havn't listened to altec horns myself. But why don't you mate an Altec driver with a modern horn: http://www.horns.pl/jmlc600.html

Name:  jmlc600.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  177.3 KB

Or the elliptical version:

Name:  ejmlc600.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  230.6 KB

I met Luke at the high end show in Munich .... really nice guy and his horns are beautifully made . I heard the Radian/ Truextent Be combo Guido supplied and the sound punched way above its weight in Luke's speaker .

I really like the Iwata 300 for my next project .

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    No rules broken........Have you poked around the Altec forum for some guidance? http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...ers-board.html
    Good, no rules broken - noticed you left the smelling funky bit tho

I've joined up and posted there as well - I'd seen various references to that forum but the links always had problems. Many thanks

Those newer horns look great but the only way I'm getting a horn to pass the Mrs JRKO test is if its built into the speaker. That and new carpet and sofa........

Good, no rules broken - noticed you left the smelling funky bit tho

I've joined up and posted there as well - I'd seen various references to that forum but the links always had problems. Many thanks

Those newer horns look great but the only way I'm getting a horn to pass the Mrs JRKO test is if its built into the speaker. That and new carpet and sofa........
    "...noticed you left the smelling funky bit tho "

I'll need an upgrade for my laptop to check on that.
    David F
    San Jose

Bit the bullet and called Bill at GPA!!! Great guy - Man I wish I lived in the USA

I'll let you know what happens......

Those newer horns look great but the only way I'm getting a horn to pass the Mrs JRKO test is if its built into the speaker.
    Then a tractrix maybe?

Name:  0712170014-large.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  7.2 KB

Thread Information