Thread: Query on 2220H crossover frequencies

Query on 2220H crossover frequencies

Hi,

I gathered from the JBL Tech Note "Choosing JBL Low Frequency Transducer" that the 2220H actually can go quite high to about 4-5 khz before it starts to tapered off quickly due to cone breakup.

May I know if I could use the 2220H to 2.5 khz and cross it to a 2402H ? I noticed for this configuration usually the woofer used is D130/D130F. What would be the main difference between the 2220H and the D130F when crossing at 2.5 khz since both drivers seemed to be able to hit that frequency.

Thanks.

2220 resposnse

Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    Hi,

I gathered from the JBL Tech Note "Choosing JBL Low Frequency Transducer" that the 2220H actually can go quite high to about 4-5 khz before it starts to tapered off quickly due to cone breakup.

May I know if I could use the 2220H to 2.5 khz and cross it to a 2402H ? I noticed for this configuration usually the woofer used is D130/D130F. What would be the main difference between the 2220H and the D130F when crossing at 2.5 khz since both drivers seemed to be able to hit that frequency.

Thanks.
    Hi

From the : http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/unit/en-k1b.html
    it seems that LF section can be a problem
    As from the JBL:
    https://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/...nclosures2.pdf
    it is said:

"......The front loading horns may be used with the JBL 2220,2205, E140, or El45 The lower resonances and longer excursion capabilities of the 2205, E140, and E145 enable these loud- speakers to provide somewhat better deep bass response compared to the 2220 at the expense of some mid-range sensitivity There IS, however, the possibility of their cones strinking the horn throat on extreme outward excursions Therefore, power input at very low frequencies should be somewhat more conservative than normally specified for these loudspeakers ............."

regards
    ivica
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Ivica. Looking at the graphs it seems 2220H could indeed be crossed at 2.5 kHz with a little loss of sensitivity I guessed. The low frequency extension would depend on the enclosure.

If I were to construct enclosures for 2220 could I follow EN5 dimensions? Does the brochure implies that there is no need for ports when 2220 is used?

Thanks.

Thanks Ivica. Looking at the graphs it seems 2220H could indeed be crossed at 2.5 kHz with a little loss of sensitivity I guessed. The low frequency extension would depend on the enclosure.

If I were to construct enclosures for 2220 could I follow EN5 dimensions? Does the brochure implies that there is no need for ports when 2220 is used?

Thanks.
    Hi,
    Take are that the driver dispersion angle would reduce towards higher frequency, here I believe that over over 1000Hz it would start to "beam", fortunately here its light membrane would bend so I believe that such beaming would not be too emphasized as usual 15-inch driver.

regards
    ivica

Hi,

Thanks.
    I've used the 2220A to 1200Hz with pretty good results... though later when I changed the design and lowered the crossover frequency, it sounded better. If the 2.5 KHz crossover frequency is a compromise you need to make, I'm sure it will "work".

Widget

Thank you Ivica and Widget. Will experiment.

Thread Information