Thread: crossover upgrade

crossover upgrade

i just sent out my crossovers from my l112 (2 sets) and l150a (1 set) to carls custom loudspeaker for xo over hauls. what can i expect when i get them back. i guess hes going to recap and replace resistors. i also have a problem with the 1 xo in one of the l112s it has blown out 2 mids already can this be fixed. ive had my jbls for about 3 years and love them and would trade them for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by brad6285 View Post
    i just sent out my crossovers from my l112 (2 sets) and l150a (1 set) to carls custom loudspeaker for xo over hauls. what can i expect when i get them back. i guess hes going to recap and replace resistors. i also have a problem with the 1 xo in one of the l112s it has blown out 2 mids already can this be fixed. ive had my jbls for about 3 years and love them and would trade them for anything.
    I've had my L112s for thirty years with no failures other than the surrounds.

All I can say is:

Name:  ggf-light-6009132.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  9.2 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I'm fond of that series as well. It could be that one of the crossover elements has failed and is not protecting the mid driver as it was designed. If you have questions about what you are paying your shop to do, you really should ask them. AFAIK, there are no 'standards' for rebuilding a crossover, ... good practices perhaps, but that's pretty subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I'm fond of that series as well. It could be that one of the crossover elements has failed and is not protecting the mid driver as it was designed. If you have questions about what you are paying your shop to do, you really should ask them. AFAIK, there are no 'standards' for rebuilding a crossover, ... good practices perhaps, but that's pretty subjective.
    Along these lines, maybe the coupling capacitor failed short (unlikely, but possible) and there is an excessive amount of low frequency energy being fed to the driver?

Hello brad

i just sent out my crossovers from my l112 (2 sets) and l150a (1 set) to carls custom loudspeaker for xo over hauls. what can i expect when i get them back.
    Well frankly if you don't know what he is doing how do you expect us to know?? I lost my psychic powers long ago in a W of W battle. I know this doesn't answer your question but why would you send out your crossovers for a upgrade which obviously means a modification without knowing what exactly the "mods" where?? You should have in writting what exactly he is doing and be damn sure he knows what he is doing and isn't some hack who is going fix them and in the process totally screw them up.

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 05-18-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

ttt

he is recapping them and changing the resistors as i said in the thread. people are really uptight on this forum. all i was asking if there will be a change in sound. sorry to bother some of the members ill ask over at audiokarma and guaranteed i wont get the ignorant answers. oh and by the way i think he knows what hes doing go to his website youll see.
    Last edited by brad6285; 05-17-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: addition

Obsolete
    all i was asking if there will be a change in sound
    yes
    people are really uptight on this forum.
    meh
    ill ask over at audiokarma and guaranteed i wont get the ignorant answers
    kk

he is recapping them and changing the resistors as i said in the thread. people are really uptight on this forum. all i was asking if there will be a change in sound. sorry to bother some of the members ill ask over at audiokarma and guaranteed i wont get the ignorant answers. oh and by the way i think he knows what hes doing go to his website youll see.
    I wouldn't take it like that. You actually said "I guess he is recapping them...." which does tend to imply you are not sure what is being done. To be fair that is an imponderable question, right? I find 'upgrades' to such things as caps and resistor highly subjective and difficult to recommend to another set of ears. If a component was faulty and replaced that should indeed improve matters. You probably will get more than a few opinions over at AK on cap preferences.
    David F
    San Jose

Carl's very approachable. Give him a call -- or email to have him detail out for you what's the proscess. He's done my KLH 5's and I have no complaints. You'll get a little surprise when you get the crossovers back as relates to breaking them in -- at least he used to do that, and a CD. Enjoy!

N-500 or N-800 crossover

Hi!
    Which of these crossovers are preferable? My system with 515-8G/802D/511B in Onken 360 cabinet.

I have shema N-800D for 16 ohm but my system 8 ohm...

Thx.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information