Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 120 Ti Midrange Failure

Quote Originally Posted by tarior View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, JBL cone kits haven't been worth the $$ for some time. The ones that are available (at least the ones I've seen and spent the big bucks on) are put together in Mexico from the same off the shelf aftermarket parts that all of the generic reconers use. If I can't get the exact cone, I will reuse your cone and just replace the . coil and spider. I do it all the time to preserve Aquaplas coated cones, as many of those are discontinued now as well.
    You've exposed your hand by your own non-JBL, non-authorized inexperience. The 104H is a polypropylene cone with no AquaPlas. Nice try at BS'ing your way through, though.

The Mexico production recone kits are not using the same aftermarket parts as all the other AM reconers. They are still proprietary produced parts. The QC problems have been isolated to the OEM assembly tolerances. The non-conforming parts are rejected by the authorized Service Agencies that have Legacy experience.

I have not yet seen an AM supplier that can deliver Legacy results. Too many compromises which lead to under performance. Just because it fits is no guarantee that it works to JBL specs.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    You've exposed your hand by your own non-JBL, non-authorized inexperience. The 104H is a polypropylene cone with no AquaPlas. Nice try at BS'ing your way through, though.

The Mexico production recone kits are not using the same aftermarket parts as all the other AM reconers. They are still proprietary produced parts. The QC problems have been isolated to the OEM assembly tolerances. The non-conforming parts are rejected by the authorized Service Agencies that have Legacy experience.

I have not yet seen an AM supplier that can deliver Legacy results. Too many compromises which lead to under performance. Just because it fits is no guarantee that it works to JBL specs.
    I never said that 104H use an Aquaplas cone, in fact I've never seen a 5" that did. I said that I have re-used Aquaplas cones when new ones were unavailable, as an example.
    I have seen plenty of new JBL kits, and their parts quality is way off from from the US made legacy products. In fact, I would say that many of them are even inferior to aftermarket. You can tell just by looking at them.
    Before JBL started outsourcing their kits (and every thing else), I could see some justification for buying factory parts. That justification is gone.

The way I see it, the O/P has three choices here.
    Send it to you and have it reconed as a 104H-2, which isn't what he wants.
    Send it to me, and have me put just a new coil in it. It will sound and look the same as it ever did. Happy customer.
    Watch ebay until a good used one pops up.

Thread Information