Thread: 4345's legit? or Fake?

4345's legit? or Fake?

Brand new member with a question about 4345's. I'm trying to buy a pair of 4345's i'm waiting for the sn#s i have a few photos. On the front face of the speakers there are only 2 gain controls not 3 which seems to be the norm. Question is did JBL produce the 4345's with only 2 gain controls? The drivers look correct. Thank you for your help with this.

You might want to check out this thread.
    Maybe the "acquaintance" mentioned is actually a flipper?
    Don't know if these are the same ones you're looking at. Got any photos?
    Most likely not original but there's nothing wrong with a good clone, if done properly—and the price is right.

I suppose technically if you're bi-amping the speaker, you don't need an L-pad for the mid-bass driver, even though every schematic for the correct network shows one. I bi-amp mine and run the L-pad for the 2122H at the wide-open position, but I have an L-pad. It certainly would look naked without it!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I believe the pair BMWCCA just linked to is the pair you are/were trying to purchase. I posted them as being for sale in that thread for the owner. Unknown to me until a few minutes ago, someone else the owner knows (the "acquaintance") listed them on Audiogon. Sounding like that person may have represented them as factory, and/or didn't understand what they are, I don't know. Glad you caught it. Still, they're a lovely pair of speakers if you can get it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    I believe the pair BMWCCA just linked to is the pair you are/were trying to purchase. I posted them as being for sale in that thread for the owner. Unknown to me until a few minutes ago, someone else the owner knows (the "acquaintance") listed them on Audiogon. Sounding like that person may have represented them as factory, and/or didn't understand what they are, I don't know. Glad you caught it. Still, they're a lovely pair of speakers if you can get it worked out.

I don't see them listed on either Audiogon or Audiomart. Anyone have a link?
    Is the "acquaintance" listing them for the seller, or has your friend actually sold them already?

No good deed goes unpunished!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I don't see them listed on either Audiogon or Audiomart. Anyone have a link? .....
    I saw an ad for 4345s at the weekend, but didn't realize they were Dhar's build as they were listed in the NJ/NY area.

Is the "acquaintance" listing them for the seller, .....
    It's not clear to me at the moment, but it I think he listed them for the seller with profit added on for facilitating a deal, and thought they were factory.

....or has your friend actually sold them already? .....
    Also not clear at the moment, but last I heard from the seller (yesterday) he was going to contact someone from LH that had responded to my post in the "for Sale" thread.

No good deed goes unpunished!
    Word.

I know they're not "real" but the original selling price of $3,200 seems awfully low to me for a pair built this well and with the added "provenance" of design improvements suggested by G.T.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I know they're not "real" but the original selling price of $3,200 seems awfully low to me for a pair built this well
    and with the added "provenance" of design improvements suggested by G.T.
    I saw Dhar's 4345s briefly a few years back, and they couldn't be cranked loud at the time,
    but they certainly looked and sounded great ...

But - Clones are clones - and the market is what it is ... (fickle to clones)
    sad tho - that's right in the ballpark of what I sold my factory 4341s for,
    near perfect cabinets, but they needed new crossovers and grills to be complete.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hello to All,
    Situation resolved. The "middle man" admitted they were not original speakers. He was asking $5,500.00 +$300 delivery which i agreed to thinking they were original. Not being the sharpest tool in the shed It took me an hour or so after agreeing to the deal to catch the fact that there were only 2 gain controls on the front of the speakers where there should be 3. I have 5 other pairs of large vintage JBL's and i want originals so naturally the deal was off. being such a nice guy i paid the guys audiogon ad fee. So i am extremely grateful to you all for helping me determine legit or fake. Thank you!

Thread Information