Thread: 044ti help

044ti help

I finally got my 240Tis up and running tonight after about 2 years of parts collecting and waiting for funds. Everything plays, nothing vibrates or rattles, but one tweeter is obviously quieter than the other. I replaced the switches in the crossovers and both networks measure the same, as does the DCR on the tweeters. I've read that there is some foam inside the tweeter that can fail over time. Could this cause my problem? Could someone point me to a walk through on how to repair it?

These are ebay tweeters and pulled-from-a-barn crossovers, so I've never played any of this stuff before tonight. I do like the one speaker that appears to be working correctly.

Even with normal DCR you can still have VC damage. Try swapping the 044s left to right and see if the problem moves with the tweeter.

> Here's one thread to read, called JBL 044Ti Tweeter Repair .
    > Another single post , with a link to my dismantled 035Ti ( which also has foam internals )

>
    > Note; the internal foam plug, is supposed to contact the inside of the diaphragm ( to damp the titanium dome ) .
    > When it rots & disintegrates, it "fouls" the voice-coil gap causing ( first ) a loss in level & performance eventually leading to outright failure .

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to try swapping the drivers around and see what happens. I have low hopes (a network problem would be too easy). These 240s have fought me since day one and there's no reason to believe they'll stop now!

It sounds like no matter what happens, the foam is eventually going to become an issue. I read through all of the links, but I don't think I ever found a definitive answer for what people are using for replacement foam. Anybody have a McMaster Carr part number or anything? I will very likely take these drivers in to my JBL guy and have him perform the work. He usually has some cunning solutions to these problems (and amazing contacts at JBL that pull can pull rabbits out of hats from time to time..) but in case he gets stumped I'd like to have something to offer.

Well, I got my answer today... The pole piece broke free and pinched the coil. Unless someone has a really great idea, I fear that the speaker is junk... The coil couldn't be pulled free from the gap so it separated from the dome.

In other news, the foam inside was NASTY. Looks like tar.

So... Someone wanna sell me a 044ti?

Thread Information