Thread: Newby looking for advice for DIY project (4345s or?)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newby looking for advice for DIY project (4345s or?)

Hi there, I'm new to these forums (1st post!) and I'm looking for some advice from the audio sages here.

I work for my family's business in Toronto, we recone speakers and buy/sell/trade audio equipment but our focus and expertise is more professional audio oriented BUT recently we received a Crown Macro Reference amplifier in a trade in (any thoughts on this amp? My limited research has found only positive reviews). My father is intending to try and sell it but I have stayed his hand, because I'm thinking I might embark upon my 1st DIY speaker creation quest!

The Macro Reference makes 760 watts at 8 ohm. With that kind of power I was thinking I should build some large format speakers. I happen to be a big fan of JBL 2245s, and we happen to have the frames and parts handy so I could build myself a pair (have a few extra too if anyone is looking) so 4345s seemed like the natural and intriguing option and based on the limited digging I've done on this forum I gather the residents here think very highly of them. I know 4345s can be bi-amped, I would probably lean towards using them full range to realize the potential power and clarity of the Macro Reference. I know a great carpenter, and I probably have/can get most of the components. The biggest block for me is the x-overs. I'll keep looking on these forums for threads on the 4345 cross-overs, but advice/thoughts on how to go about that would be handy. Can I build them myself?

I'm not married to notion of building 4345s so if anyone has suggestions of large, fairly high output/power handling systems other than the 4345s, I'm game to check out other ideas.

I also thought it might be fun to come up with a design using some more modern components with the JBL 2245 as the anchor. I know I'll probably get pooped on and maybe rightly so for thinking I can reinvent the wheel when the 4345 is apparently already astoundingly awesome... BUT.. Hey, its an old speaker made with old components. Maybe with newer and more readily available components you could achieve a higher maximum volume while maintaining the sound quality and that bombastic bass

Thanks,
    Chris.

ps This forum seems like its has just vaults and vaults of threads and probably all the questions I just asked have already been answered.. so if you've already answered them 10 times if you could just link relevant threads I'd appreciate that.
    Last edited by CosmicC; 05-05-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Grammar.

Thread Information