Thread: Hill-craft Speakers with JBL components - Information sought...

Hill-craft Speakers with JBL components - Information sought...

Found a pair of fairly large speakers in Hill-Craft (Hillcraft?) cabinets with the following innards: D130 woofers, 075 tweeters, and N2400 crossovers.
    Anyone know if these components are original in some way or if these are custom cabinets of some sort?

Signs point toward these being the same components as C-36s, but JBL cabinets are usually smaller - These measure 36" W x 28" H x 19" D.

Pictures attached below. Not planning to open the cabinets yet, so hopefully these photos do for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by dibmem; 05-05-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: adding pictures

It looks like the backs are easily removed. If you don't open them, I doubt you'll get an answer.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    It looks like the backs are easily removed. If you don't open them, I doubt you'll get an answer.
    Widget
    It was indeed easy to open - here's the guts of one of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

A friend sent me a picture of a Hill Craft cabinet tonight, wondering what it was. A web search lead me to this old thread. I read somewhere years ago that Hill Craft was run by Dr. John Hilliard's brother, and that they produced thousands of hi fi cabinets for Altec Lansing and others in addition to their own line of cabinets for pipe-smoking DIY installers, very common in the 1950s and early 1960s. A thread on the Unofficial Altec site listed an address for Hill Craft In Lawndale, CA. A Google Map search indicates that the location is now a Costco store. Pity!

I like the woodwork a lot, very retro looking!

By the way - was the cabinet resonance a part of the charatecteristic of the speaker? A lot of cabs from the 50-60's loaded with JBL look quite wobbly to me with no bracing at all.

Hmm - wonder if these smaller cabinets i got last year are Hill & Craft cabinets? The previous owner got them with Stevens trusonics - sold off the drivers and I got the cabinets.
    I mounted a speaker cup on the bottom, and installed a refurbed pair of 2214s in them last year - then put them aside but they are quite attractive cabinets ...

Name:  2214_7848.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  123.9 KB Name:  2214_7841.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  356.6 KB
    Name:  Furniture Speaker Cabs_8857.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  351.1 KBName:  Furniture Speaker Cabs_8858.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  81.5 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Hmm - wonder if these smaller cabinets i got last year are Hill & Craft cabinets? The previous owner got them with Stevens trusonics -

a friend grabbed an identical pair in GW last year w/ Trusonic load. $25. They are now in Korea.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Those look familiar!

[QUOTE=hjames;368395]Hmm - wonder if these smaller cabinets i got last year are Hill & Craft cabinets? The previous owner got them with Stevens trusonics - sold off the drivers and I got the cabinets.
    I mounted a speaker cup on the bottom, and installed a refurbed pair of 2214s in them last year - then put them aside but they are quite attractive cabinets ...

I bought a pair of cabinets identical to yours with EV SP-12 drivers installed in them!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Thread Information