Thread: Comparo thoughts on a couple CD's

Comparo thoughts on a couple CD's

What are you're thoughts on a 2447h with the Radian al phragms versus a 2430h (or 2431)?
    I guess it comes down to the 4" vs. 3 " phragm and whatever phase plug differences there might be.
    I will say, I don't like the slight harshness of Ti phragms (2432). I have the following horns: 2384, 2352 and PT95's.

The radian diaphragms go lower than jbl titanium. It will sound nice with something like jmlc-270

Thanks more10!
    I need more feedback, please. Whereare the other experts?

It´s been pretty quiet on the forum for some time now.

Most probably you are being ignored because you talk about non JBL products.

Most probably you are being ignored because you talk about non JBL products.
    Well,, not that many people here really have the need ( or desire ) to place non-OEM diaphragms into their JBL ( or Altec ) drivers.

Here's one exception ( driven by the hard fact, that aftermarket is the only choice if you want an aluminum diaphragm ) within your 2482 driver .

- Note the "High-Q", 60x30deg horn ( along with RC network ) is "boosting" the HF .

I have yet to put these into action ( therefore, I have no opinion on their sonics ) .

Frankly, I was very pleasantly surprised at the overall extension ( & linearity ) these diaphragms offered after I put them put into my ( very first pair ) of large-format compression drivers ( which I purchased way back in 1977 ) . Still don't know if these will knock my beloved 288-8K(s) off their perch ( of my go-to driver ) .

The 2431 is a very nice driver / the only knock I have against it is that it's a weak performer below 1K ( & over 10K ) . From 1K to 10K , it sounds wonderful !

Thanks Earl. Do your comments also apply to the 2430? I really don't understand the diff between the 30 and 31. Both have Al phragms.

Here's one exception ( driven by the hard fact, that aftermarket is the only choice if you want an aluminum diaphragm ) within your 2482 driver .
    The 2482 is a rare bird. I would rather swap them for 2441 or 2440 if I wanted aluminiumm, than to equip them with radian diaphragms.

The radian diaphragms are useful if you have a titanium or aluminium diaphragmed driver but would rather want a phenolium diaphragm (to reach lower frequencies). Since the 2482 is so rare, fitting a Radian diaphragm in order to reach lower frequencies is a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by wrager
    Thanks Earl. Do your comments also apply to the 2430? I really don't understand the diff between the 30 and 31. Both have Al phragms.
    Courtesy of Giskard ;

2430H ;

2431H ;

- Based on the above specs for Fs & mmd/mms ( & my experience with the Altec 288-8K ) it's quite conceivable that I may prefer the "voicing" of the 2430 over the 2431 ( since the 2430 has the lower Fs figure & heavier diaphragm ) . The 288 has an even lower Fs ( which I believe is what attracts me to it's sound ) .

- I have no 2430's ( & I'm not looking to acquire any ) , so I'm not likely to turn this conjecture into a firm conclusion any time soon .

Thread Information