Thread: L100's in cherry

L100's in cherry

If anyone is interested, I just completed a ground-up remake of a set of L100's, in cherry.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Original cabinet was in bad shape?

Is that MDF used (mostly)?

Using original x-overs?

What will you do for grille frames and grilles?

Grill frames, etc

Thanks for your interest. Original speakers had bad water damage which gave me the idea of building my own, possibly to sell in the future. The cabinet frames are 3/4 MDF. The fronts and backs 1" MDF. I made the frames and had the inserts made my Sculped Foam Innavations. Unfortunately those pics did not load. I would try again or send them to you. Yes I did use the original cross-overs. By adding the center brace, it added stability and building a mini-cabinet for the mid-range helped to improve the overall sound.

DrumIV.

Have you seen troels graveson's L100 remake cabs? The 123A/2213 wants a much bigger box- check it out

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100_08.htm

big box

Thanks Badman. I did read his article, and did indead make the box slightly bigger by flush-mounting the rear sheet, and making the side's 12". I know he called for a mucch larger box, but I wanted to make something close enough to the original box, so I could use the quadrex grill inserts. I also used modern posts @ 3/4" on center for banana plugs. Drumiv
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by drumiv View Post
    If anyone is interested, I just completed a ground-up remake of a set of L100's, in cherry.
    Beauty cabinet work.

However, I have a concern about your choice of cabinet damping material. Unless I'm further-out-of-the-loop than I expect I am, the 2213H will not "see" that dimpled foam cabinet lining the same way it would proper fiberglass batting. You have probably lost a material amount of effective cabinet volume by your choice. Not a good thing. A nasty unintended consequence...
    Last edited by boputnam; 05-05-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Beauty cabinet work.

However, I have a concern about your choice of cabinet damping material. Unless I'm further-out-of-the-loop than I expect I am, the 2213H will not "see" that dimpled foam cabinet lining the same way it would proper fiberglass batting. You have probably lost a material amount of effective cabinet volume by your choice. Not a good thing. A nasty unintended consequence...
    That is a distinct possibility. That nasty itchy fiberglass does work wonders.

Nice work though!

Widget

update

O.K., after some concern was raised over my choise of insulation ( a nod to bo here), I swapped out the foam for the original fiberglass in the bottom 1/2 of the cabs., woofer chamber, and it did seem to improve the sound. Thanks for the input.By the way, these and another set of cherry speakers will be for sale, that is if I can stop listening to them! DrumIV

Thread Information