Thread: 416-8b back horn

416-8b back horn

how would an altec 416-8b perform in a jbl c34 back horn cabinet?

Or would the driver be a bad match. The qes, qts, and qms are close but not the exact same.

Thank,
    Nick

Doesn't sound too bad in the J Bins, this woofer was used in many designs ranging from horn loaded VOTT A7's to the ported Model 19's. I found the mid upper bass of the J Bin with the 416 was a little thicker than say in the 825 enclosure of the A7's. It's sort try and see if you like that sound remembering most Altec bass drivers have very low Qts which is better suited to horn loading.

Very nice. I'm guessing a 515-8g would do even better. Haven't decided between the 2.

Thanks.

515 would be fine for mid bass but the 416 will go a little lower in the J Bin.

I'm planning to cut off the woofer at around 700 or 800 Hz. So the 416 would be the better candidate?

thanks,
    Nick

I think you need to listen to both woofers in the J Bin, I personally would use the 416 but some might like the sound of the 515 better, in the end its your ears that have to like it.

I'm planning on using the 416. I can't afford the 515 8c from great plains. I'm going with the should versions so the price is a little higher for the 416 but the alnico 515 is really expensive.
    I've listened to a friend of mines great plains 515 in onken cabinet, they sounded great. I'm sure these will too.

I'm having the cabinets made by a shop here in Houston. I'll post the pictures when they are done.

Nick

Reviving the dead here.

I put my GPA 416's in my jbl double 15 back horns. I must say, I'm not disappointed.

Im surprised you even got them in there. The 416 has a 16" frame doesnt it? I thought I would use the 416 in my midbass horns but it didnt work very good. They work best in ported enclosures. I found some t/s on them some time ago saying they have a BL at around 13-15 which is way to low for proper horn loading. Im going to try 515 in my horns later on, I bet they work better.

/Mostly

Yes it took some modifications, lol. I honestly though the same about the bl. But if you hunt for specs you find many different ones. Plus the GPA 416-8b is a little different. I think what helps is that there under hung voice coil. This causes a low bl, but give more control over the cone.

But all in all I was not expecting good results. I mounted the backwards to test them out. I didn't want to mod the horn just to find out they suck. I actually expected them to be boomy. With a lack of resolution. I was quite surprised to say the least.

But by what I've read in home use it will work.

As for the 515b, ya I would love to use them. But there 200 bucks more then the 416-8b. Plus they won't fit depth wise.

I want to ask the GPA guys if its possible to change the magnet assembles in the future to make them 515's.

Nick

Thread Information