Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is Mark Levinson Using JBL Drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Kleimann View Post

I believe the thread topic was regarding drivers... do you have anything to share on that topic?

I think we can safely assume the answer to that question is 'NO'

Yes, I get from your moniker and your previous avatar that you are a key member of the (local?) BMW Car Collectors Association, and your passion for such fine automobiles (driving machines, yes!) is to be admired.

But can you leave the thrashing of other cars and other people out of the dialog and get back to the purpose of this thread and forum: JBL and other high-end audio gear?

I believe the thread topic was regarding drivers... do you have anything to share on that topic?

Your comments seem to overlook the path this thread took trashing Levinson the man, and his mannerisms over an internet connection. Perhaps if you'd read the entire thread you'd have seen how far off the topic of drivers this went from the first post. And you missed my defending of Levinson's interview quite early on. But don't let the facts get in the way of taking a cheap shot from your anonymous keyboard.

Instead you chose to show your intolerance and exactly emulated the behavior you're trashing by adding absolutely nothing to the thread. I only replied to your comment because you missed the intent of mine completely—and wasted space bringing it up.

Go ahead, waste more space attempting to prove you're something other than what you've just shown you are. Did someone piss in your Wheaties yesterday?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I liked Dan Gurney , he was a great driver ...
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I liked Dan Gurney , he was a great driver ...
    And I had the opportunity to meet and speak with him at the Daytona 24Hour several years ago. Our car had "retired" overnight and in the early hours of the morning I was out in the empty stands near the first turn with only one other person sitting there. I introduced myself as a longtime fan and he was most gracious in carrying on a conversation for maybe twenty-minutes. A true gentleman as well as top in his field.

Thanks for getting us back on topic! Drivers, indeed.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I think you are spot on in that pairing. I think the JC-1s and Salon2s are really great together. I have never heard the JC-2 preamp. I assume it is good and perhaps great, but I would certainly audition it in the given system before I committed to it.

The Salon2s and the JC-1s are not only particularly well suited to each other, they are both extreme values in their respective markets. Sure a pair of speakers costing over 20K isn't chump change, but these speakers are as good as any speaker produced... obviously how you listen, what your taste in music and sound as well as your aesthetic preferences are all factors in determining if these speakers are for you, but those factors aside, they are absolutely top drawer. The JC-1s are pretty much the same in an amp. They are very refined yet they are brutes... while they are nice looking, you are not spending gobs on the housing or uber high end niche marketing.

All that said, I do not think you can use any formula for the cost of a speaker vs. a cable, an amp, or the whole system... each system should be considered independently... factoring the listener and the room as well as the audio components.

Back on topic, I don't know anything about this new Mark Levinson venture... but I bet it is good. It may not be value oriented, or they may be outrageously good, I have no idea, but I don't think Mr. Levinson has ever associated his name with anything that was bad. Extreme, yes... outrageously priced... yes, but bad... not yet.

Widget
    Mr. Widget:

Actually, the JC1/JC2s make my L212s sound amazing. Brings them up to the levels of my B&W 803ds which cost almost 10X the JBLs (maybe less than that in today's $). I was amazed at how close (except for the lower bass) these two were. My point being spending huge dollars does not always get you huge improvemenmts in sonic presentation, especially with speaker systems. Of course, folks often spend an exponentially increasing dollar amount for a diminishingly smaller return in performance. But the JBL/Parasound combo may indicate that there is no proper ratio for amp/preamp/speaker costs.

I really wish you could contribute about the speakers instead of cheap-shot (sic) drivel about cars and uncalled-for deriding of Mark Levinson, that you pale in comparison to. Not a cheap shot; a statement of fact... am I wrong? I think not.

Ok, I'm done... and I hope that the car and Levinson bashing will cease... back to the music and speakers.

So, does anyone have any information about these drivers? Has anyone here heard any of these systems?
    From what I can guess, based on all the posts, it appears that the drivers look like JBL cones, but that's as far as it goes. My own guess is that the drivers are unique and of their own design.
    Lord knows that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... Unless one of us LHS members has a connection, I suppose that the only way to tell is to open up a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Your comments seem to overlook the path this thread took trashing Levinson the man, and his mannerisms over an internet connection. Perhaps if you'd read the entire thread you'd have seen how far off the topic of drivers this went from the first post. And you missed my defending of Levinson's interview quite early on. But don't let the facts get in the way of taking a cheap shot from your anonymous keyboard.

Instead you chose to show your intolerance and exactly emulated the behavior you're trashing by adding absolutely nothing to the thread. I only replied to your comment because you missed the intent of mine completely—and wasted space bringing it up.

Go ahead, waste more space attempting to prove you're something other than what you've just shown you are. Did someone piss in your Wheaties yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy kleimann View Post
    i really wish you could contribute about the speakers instead of cheap-shot (sic) drivel about cars and uncalled-for deriding of mark levinson, that you pale in comparison to. Not a cheap shot; a statement of fact... Am i wrong? I think not.
    Consider your own advice . . . from 2006:
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy kleimann View Post
    Not God Almighty Here!
    i rather resent when someone starts playing the role of god and conscience here.

Stop worrying so much, and please refrian from the condescending approach when correcting an error on the part of others. Share what you can, and be kind about it... I would rather feel enlightened than reprimanded!!!

let a sleeping dog lie...
    no, no. Don't want to stir up the natives-

this was the first thread i read in a couple of days, and was taken aback by the turn the thread had taken and felt the need to respond. But then, i read a couple other threads tonight involving out-of-control egos and the martyrs laying bleeding in the streets.
    I want none of that. Is it a full moon?
    Whoa!!!
    Step AWAY from the computer, Pour yourself a cool one, and hang out on the veranda for awhile. You'll be all-right.

Obsolete
    I just gave this thread a one star rating. That's about all the fun that's left to have with it.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I saw an interview on "Home Theater Geeks," one of Leo Laport's video podcasts, where Mark Levinson was pushing his M1 speakers for a cool $100K. 100dB at 1 watt. I met him in Chicago in 77 when he was selling the HQD system, but this new speaker looks worse than my butt ugly but great sounding SVA2100s. Does anybody know what drivers he's using?
    He makes some ridiculous statements in the podcast, equating speaker sensitivity to MP3 bit loss. Another hero bites the dust. He sounds brain damaged, and I'm being kind.
    Ya know, the very first post (first pist?) in this thread started off with a mean manner
    and even tho some members have risen above that, its never been particularly worthy.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hi Heather ,

what colour socks are you wearing today ?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Hi Heather ,

what colour socks are you wearing today ?

Rich
    Its 75 degrees (F) - none!

How 'bout you?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Its 75 degrees (F) - none!

How 'bout you?

I keep my feet on the heatsinks ... steady 55 C + big blue wool work socks my Mom sends every Christmas from Canada ... , we just had the wettest 6 weeks since records began. X

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ...but when it comes down to it, anyone with a table saw can go into the speaker business...

Widget
    Or a piano factory.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    And I had the opportunity to meet and speak with him at the Daytona 24Hour several years ago. Our car had "retired" overnight and in the early hours of the morning I was out in the empty stands near the first turn with only one other person sitting there. I introduced myself as a longtime fan and he was most gracious in carrying on a conversation for maybe twenty-minutes. A true gentleman as well as top in his field.

Thanks for getting us back on topic! Drivers, indeed.
    I used to go to the SCCA events at Santa Barbara ...saw him there a couple of times ...recall his 'Stang being very fast ...Jim Hall and his Chaparral too ..

on topic, right ? drivers.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information