Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mark Levinson Using JBL Drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    i wouldn't apologize to that sort.

not until he/she/it/whatever makes an apology

to the 200,000+ members of diyaudio.com

look at this -

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post2995566

and the moderators comment below.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````

on topic -

i'd like to know what drivers he's got as well.

what ever endeaver he'd been involved with for the last 40+ years,

have been more or only slightly less than at the forefront of music reproduction ...

( i still suspect he maybe dehydrated )

Are you saying DavidL and DavidF are the same person?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Daugaard View Post

I have in vain tried to find the 1936 Bell Labs papers referred to by Mark Levinson.
    Mark Levinson could most likely be the person to ask.

he sent me some info a few years ago.

http://danielhertz.com/contacts

please tell us what you find out ...

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Are you saying DavidL and DavidF are the same person?

feeL free to tell me, in the event they are not ...

I am sorry to disappoint you.

Over at DIY Audio I am David in SJ. DavidF was taken. No posts as yet but I still might.
    David F
    San Jose

www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/bell.labs/auditoryperspective.pdf

Thanks, Grumpy.

It appears that the papers are from 1934 and not -- as stated by Mark Levinson -- from 1936. The wrong year made it impossible to find them.

That being said, I already knew the papers which are highly recommendable. It's fascinating that they are as relevant today as they were in 1934.

David answered for himself. I know him to be a very nice man.
    Out.

I'm going to read them tonight. I'm pretty sure they don't equate sensitivity/efficiency with bit-rate loss, which is absurd. All speakers convert potential sound energy into heat. Some low efficiency speakers suffer from severe dynamic compression, others don't. My favorite speakers right now put out a walloping 85dB with one watt input at 8 ohms. They sound almost as good as an equally inefficient system that Mark Levinson put together when I was 17, the legendary HQD (Hartley Quad Decca). I have no idea how it compares to his new $100,000 Rent to Own looking thing...or his skin cream, or his watch. He was much more forthcoming when I was 17, wasn't he, naming his driver sources and all in the name of his speaker? He helped me put together my own mini HQD when we talked in the Palmer House back then. Single Quads, same tweeter with his Vaseline mod (I kid you not) and eight sand/epoxy weighted Polydax 8 inchers in a transmission line sub the size of a double coffin. Maybe something happened when he was "with" Kim. God knows she would have put me under. BTW, I used to subscribe to the AES "magazine" when I worked for the Bioacoustics Lab of Pitt's research department, which was part of the Presbyterian Hospital back then (early 70's). They kept sending it to me for about twenty years or so for free. We should all read it. No bullsh** there. I think he's losing it and getting all sentimental. I'm sure his HQD would clobber the M1, but I guess I have to go listen to it. Will it be at RMAF?

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I'm going to read them tonight. I'm pretty sure they don't equate sensitivity/efficiency with bit-rate loss, which is absurd.
    In the realm of digital audio, the bit rate determines the noise floor or signal to noise ratio. Comparing a passive device like a loudspeaker to an active one is a little confusing, but the sensitivity of a loudspeaker is a factor in it's dynamic range capability so I don't find the comparison absurd.

I do find the tenor of this thread absurd though.

That said, I appreciate being made aware of the interview. I thought it was interesting.

Widget

I'm going to read them tonight. I'm pretty sure they don't equate sensitivity/efficiency with bit-rate loss, which is absurd. All speakers convert potential sound energy into heat. Some low efficiency speakers suffer from severe dynamic compression, others don't. My favorite speakers right now put out a walloping 85dB with one watt input at 8 ohms. They sound almost as good as an equally inefficient system that Mark Levinson put together when I was 17, the legendary HQD (Hartley Quad Decca). I have no idea how it compares to his new $100,000 Rent to Own looking thing...or his skin cream, or his watch. He was much more forthcoming when I was 17, wasn't he, naming his driver sources and all in the name of his speaker? He helped me put together my own mini HQD when we talked in the Palmer House back then. Single Quads, same tweeter with his Vaseline mod (I kid you not) and eight sand/epoxy weighted Polydax 8 inchers in a transmission line sub the size of a double coffin. Maybe something happened when he was "with" Kim. God knows she would have put me under. BTW, I used to subscribe to the AES "magazine" when I worked for the Bioacoustics Lab of Pitt's research department, which was part of the Presbyterian Hospital back then (early 70's). They kept sending it to me for about twenty years or so for free. We should all read it. No bullsh** there. I think he's losing it and getting all sentimental. I'm sure his HQD would clobber the M1, but I guess I have to go listen to it. Will it be at RMAF?
    What I find absurd is your bemoaning the fact that Mark Levinson won't tell you what drivers he's using in his new system.

Why don't you do your own R&D and come up with a better solution...or buy a set of his "Rent to Own" looking thing, tear them apart and clone them?
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Daugaard View Post
    Thanks, Grumpy.

It appears that the papers are from 1934 and not -- as stated by Mark Levinson -- from 1936. The wrong year made it impossible to find them.

That being said, I already knew the papers which are highly recommendable. It's fascinating that they are as relevant today as they were in 1934.
    that AES HC site is great, thanks for the breadcrumbs/link Grumpy, much appreciated!

one of the 'benefits' of lower efficiency speakers is,

when the sensitivity is lowered,

the noise floor drops right along too.

that helped hide quite a few things over the years,

like transistor switching distortion.

and how bad poor quality recordings really are.

altho i can't say for sure, whom is making his drivers,

these peoples equipment looks quite similar -

http://www.g-k-f.com/uk/cinema.htm

sound nice too -

I just finished watching that ML interview. And anyone who thinks Mark is ' losing it' much be a few bricks short of a full load themselves.
    It was obvious, it times, Mark was giving some thought as to how he wanted to answer a certain question. It was also obvious that throughout the entire interview that the skype connection, or whatever connection it was, was hanging up.

He was most certainly right on about his assessment of the audio industry, as it is today. More about profit than providing quality products that really convey the music. This was the first time I had heard of Daniel Hertz co. I get the idea that Mark has started this new company because he felt a bit handcuffed at ML over the last 1 1/2 decades since ML Company was acquired by Harman. I don't know it that is accurate, but that was the feeling I came away with.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    I just finished watching that ML interview. And anyone who thinks Mark is ' losing it' much be a few bricks short of a full load themselves.
    It was obvious, it times, Mark was giving some thought as to how he wanted to answer a certain question. It was also obvious that throughout the entire interview that the skype connection, or whatever connection it was, was hanging up.

He was most certainly right on about his assessment of the audio industry, as it is today. More about profit than providing quality products that really convey the music. This was the first time I had heard of Daniel Hertz co. I get the idea that Mark has started this new company because he felt a bit handcuffed at ML over the last 1 1/2 decades since ML Company was acquired by Harman. I don't know it that is accurate, but that was the feeling I came away with.
    He has had nothing to do with Mark Levinson Ltd for ages. He sold the rights to his own name when he sold the company to Harman. Yeah, there's no profit in a $100,000 three way speaker, and trim rings make a speaker sound better, and separating the back wave of your sub and mid bass drivers is an amazing innovation. They do look amazingly similar to those French made GKF speakers.

He has had nothing to do with Mark Levinson Ltd for ages. He sold the rights to his own name when he sold the company to Harman. Yeah, there's no profit in a $100,000 three way speaker, and trim rings make a speaker sound better, and separating the back wave of your sub and mid bass drivers is an amazing innovation. They do look amazingly similar to those French made GKF speakers.
    I knew the ML company was acquired by Harman in '98, I think it was, at which point the HK Citation line was dropped.
    But I did not know Mark had actually sold his rights and was no longer part of ML Ltd.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Thread Information