Thread: 9846-8A owners need help with baffle dimensions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

9846-8A owners need help with baffle dimensions

Just bought myself a pair of vintage Altec 9846-8A styled monitors. They appear to be fitted with the correct gear e.g. 511B horn, 802-8D driver, 501-8A xover, 30904 attenuator/equaliser network and 411-8A (cloth surround) woofer. The only problem is one of the 411-8A woofers have been replaced with a brand unknown or identified, will have to search for another. The reason I have posted this thread is that the boxes were made by a local Altec Australian distributor (Zephr Product) in the 70's and as such whilst the outside dimension appear to be correct they, the distributor forgot to construct the stepped baffle for the woofer as per the original 9846-8A.
    Is it possible for someone to send me the dimension for this stepped baffle so that I can at least restore them as close as possible to their original intent. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by altecman; 04-25-2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: grammar

Received the answer off another site, the dimensions are 16½” x 22” x 4”. Hopefully this will help someone else who might be looking.

Hello Altecman. I found the attached picture in my files. Hope it helps.
    If you can search my posts here and at the Altec Users Board, there is a
    lot of info about the 9846 over the years. Art.......

Art J,
    Thanks for the plans, can you remember what thickness the wood was? One last request, do you have plans for the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by altecman View Post
    Art J,
    Thanks for the plans, can you remember what thickness the wood was? One last request, do you have plans for the grill.
    The wood thickness is all 3/4 inch except the cover as shown.
    I believe these pics came from member 'arawak1969'
    who should get proper credit for them.......

Thanks again, the only issue I see if you call it that is the cutout dimensions for the woofer on the plans state 14-1/8" whilst the Altec 411-8A product sheet states 14-3/16", no big deal I will measure the 411 I have and work it out from there. I'm looking forward to this project as I like challenges not already built.
    Haven't been on this site for ages, my user name hasn't change but my email address did, that's why I been listed as a junior member again, no big deal, good to be back. This is the first time I've played with non horn bass loaded Altecs, in the pass I've had A5's (1 pair) and A7's (3 pairs) modified them and moved them on. I've never been a person to hold onto any audio products for long, I pay with them, modify if neccessary and move them on for another project, I just like trying to fix the black sheeps of audio out there and the more respected ones, if people say it's bad I want to find out why and try to change it for good or bad, that's the nature of audio. You never know I might keep these soon to be 9846 replicas for at least 6 months.

Removal baffle or not?

Almost finished making the stepped woofer baffle, I used 1 1/4" material for the baffle as the hole is quite large and I wanted to make sure that the woofer has as much support as possible.
    My next problem now is do I make this a permanent fixture (glued and screwed) or do I make it removal using 5" long 1/4" UNC socket head cap screws?
    I thought it might make sense to be able to remove the stepped baffle and to reduce vibrations from the woofer transmitting back through the enclosure to the horn assembly as I will be using some sort of rubber to seal the baffle to the enclosure. Any thoughts on this would be great as it would be easier to do it now whilst at the rebuilding stage.

Hello again Altecman, I would make it removable at first to make sure everything
    is working out OK. There is a chance that the added weight sticking out may make
    the speaker tip over. I'm sure you can rig some form of counter weight or stabilizer
    if it becomes necessary for safety reasons.
    Good luck, Art

Art J, The extra weight doesn't change much from the original in regards to stablisation, beside I was going to tilt the boxes back slightly by using smaller castors on the rear. Whats your thought's regarding the idea of using a removal baffle to reduce vibrations from the woofer transfering to the enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by altecman View Post
    Art J, The extra weight doesn't change much from the original in regards to stablisation, beside I was going to tilt the boxes back slightly by using smaller castors on the rear. Whats your thought's regarding the idea of using a removal baffle to reduce vibrations from the woofer transfering to the enclosure?

Altecman, sorry for not replying to your question.
    We are away on Summer holiday with little computer time.
    Hopefully others can chime in for now.
    Good luck with the project.......................

Nice to see the drawings were helpful.

Hope these drawings were helpful. How is the project coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by arawak1969 View Post
    Hope these drawings were helpful. How is the project coming along?

Hi Peter, long time no see. Hope all has been well. Did you finish your 9846 project?
    We have been away all summer and back home now. The Altec board seems to think that I died. LOL

To quote Mark Twain, "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

Thread Information