Thread: 1966: H.r. & the "big now" | 1986: Jbl, & the "big sound" | 2012: They're all good!

1966: H.r. & the "big now" | 1986: Jbl, & the "big sound" | 2012: They're all good!

Hello!

I've been giving my two 4412's a robust workout today, and it rarely ceases to amaze me and a few appreciative fellow listeners as to how great the "state of the art" in high quality recording art/tech had been achieved by 1966. (For example, the craft of EMI Capitol in Hollywood, Ca.)

Did they use JBL'S for production at that time?

And just as amazing is the ability of these 26 year old, cosmetically beat to heck and well-travelled JBL'S to reproduce such music well.

Ok, H.R. is the late, great "renaissance man of guitar", Howard Roberts. The "Big Now" was his take on being in the moment, musically.

The workout LP (CD) was H.R.'s "Whatever's Fair", I think ca.1966, and imho an outstanding musical and sonic work.

The old monitors really deliver on high*-dynamics, clean "Jazz" like this one. What really struck me on this listening is how the mid and hi-freq drivers are able to (perhaps just barely) handle and deliver the very punchy and sometimes edgy (the "dirty Hammond tone") of the Hammond organ. It sounds like the microphones were not more than several inches from the Leslie speaker cabinets, replete with rotating 375 drivers / horn assemblies. These were quite often cranked and very, very punchy on this album.

I know it would be more thrilling played through the 4333's that I blew the opportunity to have.

Anyhow, it was inspiring to get the music/recorded quality/positive end-user results. Good Fi helps keep great music great.

I think a lot of you cats can really dig this music.

Howard Roberts:

http://www.utstat.utoronto.ca/mikevans/hroberts.html

H.R. albums:

http://fisher.utstat.toronto.edu/mik...scography.html

Some albums with H.R. as leader, and some of his known session work on records, film and T.V., possibly nearly 10,000 credits. But documenting them can take some research, since session musician credits could get "lost in the funk" of the ways of the music industry as it was... back in the "Big Then".

Best, Rich P

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    Hello!

I've been giving my two 4412's a robust workout today, and it rarely ceases to amaze me and a few appreciative fellow listeners as to how great the "state of the art" in high quality recording art/tech had been achieved by 1966. (For example, the craft of EMI Capitol in Hollywood, Ca.)

Did they use JBL'S for production at that time?

And just as amazing is the ability of these 26 year old, cosmetically beat to heck and well-travelled JBL'S to reproduce such music well.

Ok, H.R. is the late, great "renaissance man of guitar", Howard Roberts. The "Big Now" was his take on being in the moment, musically.

The workout LP (CD) was H.R.'s "Whatever's Fair", I think ca.1966, and imho an outstanding musical and sonic work.

The old monitors really deliver on high*-dynamics, clean "Jazz" like this one. What really struck me on this listening is how the mid and hi-freq drivers are able to (perhaps just barely) handle and deliver the very punchy and sometimes edgy (the "dirty Hammond tone") of the Hammond organ. It sounds like the microphones were not more than several inches from the Leslie speaker cabinets, replete with rotating 375 drivers / horn assemblies. These were quite often cranked and very, very punchy on this album.

I know it would be more thrilling played through the 4333's that I blew the opportunity to have.

Anyhow, it was inspiring to get the music/recorded quality/positive end-user results. Good Fi helps keep great music great.

I think a lot of you cats can really dig this music.

Howard Roberts:

http://www.utstat.utoronto.ca/mikevans/hroberts.html

H.R. albums:

http://fisher.utstat.toronto.edu/mik...scography.html

Some albums with H.R. as leader, and some of his known session work on records, film and T.V., possibly nearly 10,000 credits. But documenting them can take some research, since session musician credits could get "lost in the funk" of the ways of the music industry as it was... back in the "Big Then".

Best, Rich P
    Well, I will let you know. I have never heard the name before. I ordered a used CD of the greatest instrumental hits for a sampling.
    David F
    San Jose

I think I know what you mean. I love my basement big-rig with tri-amped 4345's and SUB1500's, but in an upstairs bedroom a pair of 4411's on 30" stands driven by a powerful tube set up sound pretty amazing in a near-field set up.

I can listen for hours.

Obsolete
    Good grief! I never get grounded to my bedroom for hours! A few minutes here and there but never for hours!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Good grief! I never get grounded to my bedroom for hours! A few minutes here and there but never for hours!
    You haven't met my darling wife.....

Obsolete
    Oic!

Thread Information