Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is newer better : 4430 vs 1400 Array

Obsolete
    I'll try and bring this back on topic. Use the 91 dB LE14H-4 instead of the 89 dB LE14H-3 in the 1400 Array, adjust the network and port for the increased mid-band efficiency and then use a pair of 1500 Array's to fill in the bottom octave.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'll try and bring this back on topic. Use the 91 dB LE14H-4 instead of the 89 dB LE14H-3 in the 1400 Array, adjust the network and port for the increased mid-band efficiency and then use a pair of 1500 Array's to fill in the bottom octave.

That would be a good choice, I think. However, the way they are, as is, is absolutely fine with me. I added just one 1500 Array.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Obsolete

Alternatively, save up some cash, find a JBL Synthesis dealer and buy a pair of these... enjoy the music!

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

And in this corner the 1400 ARRAY.
    Always fun learning more.......

Obsolete
    Would you throw in some of that special wire to sweeten the deal?

Just some pic I snagged from the web.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by moparfan View Post
    Before I got a sub for the home theater, I ran a 5.0 4430 system that did not have any subsonic protection/filtering.

I ran that system pretty loud at times, on the edge of uncomfortable for my hearing, and I don't recall hearing mass rings smash into things or other signs of stress. At the time, I wasn't running any room correction so I had a massive room contribution to the bass. This was a fairly small room < 1500cu.ft room.

At least for me asking for more volume would have been system/auditory abuse to see "what it could do".
    The 4430 was tuned a bit high at 34 Hz (The 4435 was tuned lower at 26 Hz).

Keep the wire, I want those custom speaker platforms.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Just some pic I snagged from the web.
    I know, I've used the same photo occasionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Keep the wire, I want those custom speaker platforms.
    I was going to mention them but I realized they were too short and wouldn't work for me personally.

They're modular... just stack 'em!

1400 Is Superior

I owned a new pair of 4430s in '95 for about a year. My system at the time included a Threshold FET10e, SA4e, Nak 1000MB and 1000DAC.

The 4430s replaced a pair of 250Ti which themselves replaced a pair of XPL200. I was going through a musical period at the time when I started listening predominantly again to Rock & Roll instead of Jazz and Jazz fusion. Up to that point, I had not owned a pair of the large format 15-inch, 2-ways. A dealer friend had bought a few pairs of 4430s on a close-out and offered me a great deal. Listening to them at his house, the 4430s impressed me with their great dynamics, both in their overall range and ability to play loud without strain. My goal and hope was that drums, bass guitar, synthesizer, etc. were going to sound more realistic through the 4430s. I was looking for more chest-pounding impact; that is, what I heard from live instruments in the critical range of 100-500Hz. So for one, I was thinking the legendary, studio monitor-grade 15" should out-perform the home hi-fi 14" in this regard. Two, I thought the Bi-radial would provide greater dynamics, clarity and overall resolution. Lastly, I thought I would be able to play the 4430s louder with less strain. I brought the new 4430s home, un-boxed them set them exactly where the 250Ti were in my living room. This was about 3 feet from the front wall and 2 feet from the side walls. I fired-up the Threshold gear and let them warm-up for an hour our so. Out came my usual reference discs and a couple of hours worth of serious listening.

Starting with the bass, the 4430s did not meet my expectations. I was expecting more punch and better pitch definition and it just wasn't happening. On drum and bass guitar solos, the 4430 was only slightly better at very high volumes, but not substantially so. In the midrange, the 4430 had a bit of the dreaded 'cupped hands' coloration, which was quite evident on vocals and acoustic guitar. The high-end was the most disappointing aspect of the 4430s in comparison to the 250s and XPL200s. On ride and crash cymbals, the 250s and especially my XPL 200s had much more extension, air, shimmer and clearer decay. My vivid impression was the top octave was soft and lacked critical detail and resolution. The only area the 4430s excelled over the 250Ti was dynamic range--and in this one aspect they were clearly superior. I lived with the 4430s for about a year and then replaced them with a used pair of 4344s out of a recording studio. I had custom stands made for the 4344s which put the 2405s' on the same plane as my ears. They had some colorations of their own and weren't perfect-but they were very impressive! Their dynamics, detail and resolution made them my second favorite speakers of all the ones I've owned. For rock and jazz fusion they were absolutely first-rate. (I'm 57 and have made too many equipment changes--some without adequate evaluation before buying, but its sure been a lot of fun!)

This brings me to my current all-time favorite speaker-the Array 1400, which I have had for a few years now. Current system consists of a Mac C45 pre-amp, Mac 871 disc player (transport only), Bryston BDA-1 DAC and Threshold SA4e. The 4344 sounded more effortless at very high volumes and had more mid-bass punch. Also, the 4344 didn't reproduce much depth and had only good imaging. But the bottom line is the Array 1400 has everything of importance--deep bass with great definition, impressive mid-bass with very good punch, outstanding imaging along with an extended and detailed top-end without brightness or hardness. Importantly, I can listen to the Arrays all day long without wishing they were better in some way or experiencing listener fatigue. This is the first time I am not thinking of upgrading to better speakers some day. I simply cannot afford the more expensive S9900 or Everest, so this is where I got off the upgrade express. The only (infrequent) thought is maybe one day getting the TrueExtent replacement Beryllium midrange diaphragms.

So for me, the Array 1400 is better in every regard than the 4430. Actually, its not even close.

Nice system mister new guy. I worked for Nak during the 1000MB, 1000 dac era. Stunning stuff. Nero at his best. I hate to beat a dead horse, but the 1400 arrays are the most realistic sounding speakers on the planet, and I've heard the Everests. They can float a voice, or a horn or anything else for that matter, like it's in the room. Absolutely real. Isn't that what it's all about? Awesome first post.

Obsolete
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but the 1400 arrays are the most realistic sounding speakers on the planet, and I've heard the Everests.

I refuse to downgrade based on your assessment though.

I refuse to downgrade based on your assessment though.

With all the effusive praise I was beginning to question my decision over three years ago, but then I've not heard anyone compare the 1400 Array to the 4345 with CC mods bi-amped yet.

It doesn't matter to me since I'm not changing anything right now . . . or for the foreseeable future. I'd be very impressed by anything that sounded better than what I'm listening to right now. Met a guy the other day who swears by Avalon speakers and says they're the best. Their website confirms his claim, no surprise! New versus old brings lots of other stuff into the mix but it would seem the 1400 Arrays are well-priced compared to contemporary competition.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information