Thread: Bi Amping 1400 Array

Bi Amping 1400 Array

I have hunted through lots of posts related to this including one with information from Greg Timbers about how to do it. I am still a bit confused.

I am considering buying a set of 1400 Arrays. I would like to be able to biamp them using a low powered amp for the mid/highs. Am I correct in saying that if they are biamped in the way Greg Timbers describes then the mid/highs will still have the same sensitivity as the whole system did ( 89db ) rather than their maximum sensitivity which I think would be around 95 db ?
    Is there a way to allow the mid/highs to have the higher sensitivity and use an external crossover to match the mid/high sensitivity to the woofer section ?
    I also wonder if someone could explain in laymans terms what the schematics in Greg Timbers information are showing.
    Thanks Mark

Sorry forgot to link to information I was talking about. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...del-1400-Array

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacka View Post
    Am I correct in saying that if they are biamped in the way Greg Timbers describes then the mid/highs will still have the same sensitivity as the whole system did ( 89db ) rather than their maximum sensitivity which I think would be around 95 db ?
    Bi-amped the top end will increase to ~ 90 dB so reduce it back down by ~ 1 dB using either the active crossover level or the top end amp level.
    Is there a way to allow the mid/highs to have the higher sensitivity and use an external crossover to match the mid/high sensitivity to the woofer section ?
    Yes. That's how one gets the 1400 Array/SAM1HF horn to play well with larger low frequency transducers such as the 2235H, 1500FE, 1501FE or 1500AL.

But at that point one should probably just build new charge coupled networks from scratch.

One can also try Greg's "1200 Array" bi-amp passive filter for the Array/SAM horn (optimized for the beryllium components in place of the aluminum/titanium components; Might matter, might not).
    I also wonder if someone could explain in laymans terms what the schematics in Greg Timbers information are showing.
    The schematic in the top right is the low pass filter, the schematic in the bottom right is the high pass filter. The schematics are derived from the block diagrams on the left so ignore the block diagrams.

Thanks 4313B. I have a couple more questions about where to find more detailed information. I haved searched these forums and googled away as best I can but as a non technical person I need pretty specific directions.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yes. That's how one gets the 1400 Array/SAM1HF horn to play well with larger low frequency transducers such as the 2235H, 1500FE, 1501FE or 1500AL.

But at that point one should probably just build new charge coupled networks from scratch.
    Do you know if the specific information I need to do these things is here in the forums somewhere. Do I need to keep looking ( I am happy to do this but it would be good to know if this is pointless search ) or is it something I need to work out for myself. ?

One can also try Greg's "1200 Array" bi-amp passive filter for the Array/SAM horn (optimized for the beryllium components in place of the aluminum/titanium components; Might matter, might not).
    Any hints about where I might find this ?

The schematic in the top right is the low pass filter, the schematic in the bottom right is the high pass filter. The schematics are derived from the block diagrams on the left so ignore the block diagrams.
    Thanks that makes sense even to me.

Thanks Mark.

Obsolete
    I'll try and reply in a few days when I have more time. I'll have to look for the files on another hard drive.

I'll try and reply in a few days when I have more time. I'll have to look for the files on another hard drive.
    Thankyou. Whatever you can find will be greatly appreciated.
    Mark

Obsolete
    Here's Greg's schematic of his "1200 Array" system. It was bi-amp only (and used the 1200FE in place of the LE14H-3).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

schematic

Here's Greg's schematic of his "1200 Array" system..
    Thank you Sir.

Thread Information