Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harman in Harvard Business Review -- April 2012

Harman in Harvard Business Review -- April 2012

Got a copy on the shelf over the weekend for another topic until I got to an article that featured Harman.

Interesting read on reverse-innovation and how Harman has successfully reinvented itself. I know it gets a lot of flack here for its high-end audio strategy, but for the mass-produced, bread-and-butter, commercial front--it seems Harman has done very well. Which can only be good, so it can continue supporting its niche high-end audio side of the business..

http://hbr.org/2012/04/a-reverse-inn...-playbook/ar/1

Thanks for posting that.

Obsolete
    Yes, thanks. It was an interesting article that shed some light.

I'm finally getting over the fact that Northridge manufacturing was moved. It would be a PITA to try and manufacture anything in CA that was known to cause health issues. Better to move the whole mess to another country where the indigenous population is significantly more resilient. I've been told that agencies such as OSHA are for whimps.

I still chuckle over the fact that JBL had to paint the M9500's in AZ because doing so would have killed the people in CA. Yep, best to just move the whole mess out of the country where you don't have to concern yourself with such inconveniences.

Was there not some kind of stipulation like that even when the Black lacquer 250's were comming out? Painted in Seattle or somthing like that.
    Nothing against you folks out west but you could not pay me enough to live in California.
    Always fun learning more.......

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    Nothing against you folks out west but you could not pay me enough to live in California.
    Awwww!

Seriously though, if you paid me Dinesh's salary I would be enticed to at least visit the dump occasionally. In NWOH where we listen in the night to Detroit rusting we say, "It could be far worse, we could be stuck in CA."

It's really quite tragic, CA was breathtakingly gorgeous once.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Awwww!

Seriously though, if you paid me Dinesh's salary I would be enticed to at least visit the dump occasionally. In NWOH where we listen in the night to Detroit rusting we say, "It could be far worse, we could be stuck in CA."

It's really quite tragic, CA was breathtakingly gorgeous once.

I did live there in the early 70's and it was nice.

Maron Horonzakz
    Yes Calif. envirolmental politics is getting as bad as PETA.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Yes Calif. envirolmental politics is getting as bad as PETA.
    Your just still PO'd about that incident with your 'coon skin hat.

Widget

Yes, thanks. It was an interesting article that shed some light.

I'm finally getting over the fact that Northridge manufacturing was moved. It would be a PITA to try and manufacture anything in CA that was known to cause health issues. Better to move the whole mess to another country where the indigenous population is significantly more resilient. I've been told that agencies such as OSHA are for whimps.

I still chuckle over the fact that JBL had to paint the M9500's in AZ because doing so would have killed the people in CA. Yep, best to just move the whole mess out of the country where you don't have to concern yourself with such inconveniences.
    California....namely Southern California is the land of custom cars and paint yobs. Surely there is more at work below the surface of chasing mfgs out of the state than painting a few speaker cabinets....like pissing away every dollar of tax revenue on public....oh, nevermind.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    California....namely Southern California is the land of custom cars and paint yobs. Surely there is more at work below the surface of chasing mfgs out of the state than painting a few speaker cabinets....like pissing away every dollar of tax revenue on public....oh, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Isn't every tax dollar meant to be spent on the public? Funny how people forget, it is still our money even after we write the check to the State or the IRS... and it should be spent on our public needs... Oh, it is... how lucky.

Before we get into a spitting contest, my comments are meant to be tongue in cheek. Of course I realize there is waste, corruption, greed, etc., but there is also the good and the necessary that comes from laws and regulation. Can they be better? Always.

Widget

Obsolete

It is no small wonder that Harmon moved manufacturing out of Northridge, what you are seeing the political reality of the hostility of the Calif govt toward any type of manufacturing. All the .GOV wants is non-polluting service jobs, of course if there is nothing to service you get what we have today. Calif is in dire financial straits with no relief in sight.

For example in So. Calif, we USED to General Motors Assembly Plant in Van Nuys, Ford Assembly in Pico Riveria, General Dynamics in Pomona, Hughes Space & Comm, Radar, & Ground Systems, etc etc. They are now all gone along with their high paying technical jobs. All Calif has left now are minimum wage jobs with no "bennies," mostly in the hospitality and retail industries, ie "Mac jobs."

I know first hand how difficult a business environment in Calif. My brother-in-law owned a bakery in Los Angeles. 20 years ago, they wanted to expand their business and wanted to put in a larger oven. The .GOV(I really don't remember what agency, but I think it was the AQMD-Air Quality Management Agency), that in order to approve their application, they have to put in $100,000 worth of air pollution equipment to control the HC(hydro carbons) from the baking. This is just a little mom & pop business, how long do they have to work just to pay for the air pollution equipment, let alone make a profit(short answer, they won't live long enough). This made very little economic sense, so if you scale it up a bit, you get the big picture of the "big boys" are facing.

CA was breathtakingly gorgeous once.
    I lived in NW Ohio for 20 years, later went to grad school in Cleveland, and still visit three or four times a year. But I always look forward to coming back to California. I won't even come to Ohio after October or before April, though my mom tells me it was quite mild there this winter and everything is in bloom right now. A typical frost-free date is late April/early May, so good luck to the farms and orchards.

Despite human endeavor to destroy the state, California remains a wonderful place. It's not just the government's fault, it's also irresponsible industries and business, irresponsible landlords, irresponsible citizens... there's plenty of blame here in CA for what's wrong, but plenty of beauty, hard work, and comfort for those who look for it.

I moved here from another state because I wanted to be here, and someday I'll likely move somewhere else I want to be. For now, it's my home, and I like it.

------------------------------------

Back on thread, I've translated for historical accuracy "the chief executive, Dinesh C. Paliwal, rebranded the company’s future, shifted the corporate center of gravity to emerging markets, ensured that legacy units continued to thrive, and averted conflict between old and new" as follows

The chief executioner, Dinesh C. Paliwal, abandoned the company’s heritage, shit on the corporate center of gravity and moved it out of the US into emerging markets, ensured that legacy units continued to starve in order to consolidate the corpses, and incited conflict between old and new by playing favorites with the new and committing wholesale atrocities against the old.

Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

------------------------------------

Back on thread, I've translated for historical accuracy "the chief executive, Dinesh C. Paliwal, rebranded the company’s future, shifted the corporate center of gravity to emerging markets, ensured that legacy units continued to thrive, and averted conflict between old and new" as follows

The chief executioner, Dinesh C. Paliwal, abandoned the company’s heritage, shit on the corporate center of gravity and moved it out of the US into emerging markets, ensured that legacy units continued to starve in order to consolidate the corpses, and incited conflict between old and new by playing favorites with the new and committing wholesale atrocities against the old.

Nice one TD!..

Thread Information