Thread: AudioCap PPT Theta Film and Foil Caps

AudioCap PPT Theta Film and Foil Caps

Hi,
    Anyone here use these with any regularity?:
    027-700

I just received an order of (4) of these to use in a rebuild as the by-pass caps; 0.01uF 600V

They are all properly marked. You can tell from the intensity of the printing that they (2 and 2) are from two different batches or "runs"

Weird thing is (this is my first time ever using these) two are noticeably larger in diameter than the other two

I inquired to Parts Express, their response was that if they were all properly marked as to correct value they "should be fine"

I do not own a capacitance checker

I know that slight differences are evident with 716Ps for example from batch to batch (easy to tell, they date code everything and it's an epoxy dipped cap)

This is a bit more evident with the AudioCaps than any slight manufacturing differences I have ever noticed with other types or brands

Hoping someone here can confirm that this is a normal occurrence with the AudioCaps (that noticeable differences do occur)

I would not have expected this noticeable a difference in a cap at this price point and type

Please share what you know

Regards,
    Thomas

I don't know about AudioCap specifically, but film & foil caps do seem to vary in size more than metallized film.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about it. The parameters that will vary from run to run won't matter much for bypass caps.

.....Also, many capacitor manufacturers make the same cap value with several voltage options. Usually the higher volt capacity (but the same uF) will also be larger and/or longer. I know SoniCaps are like that, fwif.

Quote Originally Posted by Desull View Post
    .....Also, many capacitor manufacturers make the same cap value with several voltage options. Usually the higher volt capacity (but the same uF) will also be larger and/or longer. I know SoniCaps are like that, fwif.

Thanks for your help but not the case here........please see the original post.

Thanks,
    Thomas

Hi Thomas, I have bought quite a few hundred of these caps over the last few years. In lots of 50 to 100 pieces. Last ordered 9 months ago 50 and the 22 that are left and the ones I have used over the years were consistent in size. Maybe they are making them different and you got some from a new batch. Look at the sides and see if they put a couple of extra wraps on the outside jacket. Thanks for the heads up.

Thread Information