Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 2405 JBL Diaphragms - Are these bad? Pictrues - 1

New 2405 JBL Diaphragms - Are these bad? Pictrues - 1

Hi All,
    I was getting ready to install these guys and did a close inspection. I bought them from a supposedly reputable JBL dealer. Did I get screwed?
    The issues are the voice coil glue seems overflowed and the lead wires are not seated well. The first one seems to have both issues and the second diaphragm only has the raised lead wire.
    I took some pictures. What do you guys think?
    It seems that I could only attach 5 pictures. So, I attached 5 here and I will attach the other 4 in the next post.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
    Steve

Name:  1-1.JPG
Views: 2521
Size:  70.0 KBName:  1-2.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  48.7 KBName:  1-3.jpg
Views: 2261
Size:  48.0 KBName:  1-4.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  49.4 KBName:  1-5.JPG
Views: 2311
Size:  73.0 KB

New 2405 JBL Diaphragms - Are these bad? Pictrues - 2

Here are the rest of the pictures from my previous post. It was tough to get in close for the shots. I think you can make out what I'm referring to.
    If you guys deem these diaphragms defective, I hope I can return them.

Thanks again for looking,
    Steve

Name:  1-6.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  51.6 KBName:  2-1.jpg
Views: 2231
Size:  44.8 KBName:  2-2.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  41.7 KBName:  2-3.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  43.3 KB

That is simply abominable. Send them back either to the dealer or directly to JBL with a note expressing your disbelief that such a BAD, unacceptable, poor excuse for a part could actually make in into a box to ship.

Ridiculous.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thanks Edgewound,
    I will call the dealer first thing in the morning. If I feel like I'm getting the runaround, then I will go directly to JBL. I was very surprised myself at what they looked like. The voice coil on the old diaphragm that I removed was beautiful compared to this.
    I also don't understand why they ship these things in Styrofoam. You can see from the pics how the little specs get everywhere. And, they are full of static. So, they are somewhat annoying to remove.

Ok, lets hope I have good luck tomorrow.

If I need to go directly to JBL, is there anyone in particular that you guys like dealing with over there (and their phone number if you have)?

Thanks,
    Steve

That dont look right at all. I just installed a set myself and my biggest objection was that the polarities were not indicated, however, they did look much better than those.
    With Edgewounds help (thanks Ken), I was able to indentify the terminals. Are yours ID`d?
    I suppose these things are to be expected when they are no longer made in the good `ole US of A

polarities

Hi Mike,
    I hadn't checked the polarity markings (hadn't gotten to that point yet). I just checked now and of course - there are none. What the heck is going on with JBL? Part of paying the higher prices for JBL parts is to avoid situations like these.

I contacted the distributor yesterday and sent him the pictures. He was supposed to contact JBL and get back to me. I will follow up today.

Mike, how did you go about figuring out the polarities on these guys?

Thanks,
    Steve

quality

There's a guy selling a D16R2405 on EBAY:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-JBL-...item53ebcd4fc2

Zoom in on the picture of the underside of the diaphragm (where the coil is located). Then, look at the wire lead coming off the right side of the coil (by the 33752 number stamp). That ribbon lead seems to be lifted up off the aluminum as well. I would think it should be glued down flush against the aluminum.

Is this also a defective diaphragm? Or, is a certain amount of lifting acceptable as far as JBL's quality acceptance goes?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sekess View Post
    Hi Mike,
    I hadn't checked the polarity markings (hadn't gotten to that point yet). I just checked now and of course - there are none. What the heck is going on with JBL? Part of paying the higher prices for JBL parts is to avoid situations like these.

I contacted the distributor yesterday and sent him the pictures. He was supposed to contact JBL and get back to me. I will follow up today.

Mike, how did you go about figuring out the polarities on these guys?

Thanks,
    Steve
    I loosely taped the `fram into the magnet assembly and very quickly applied 1.5 volts dc from a triple A battery and observed the travel.

After identifying the positive terminal, I chose to go against JBL convention and soldered it to the RED terminal instead of black.

Seems like paying top dollar for OEM parts these days is no longer a garantee of quality. Are your `frams made in Mexico? Is there a date stamp?
    Please keep us posted.

dot dot

On the phase plug side of the diaphram there should be a small black magic marker dot.

This lead goes to the black terminal.

polarity

Hi Subwoof,
    Right, I see that on the old diaphragms. But, there is nothing on the new ones on the phase plug side.

Steve

Date

Hi Mike,
    Yes, both boxes say made in Mexico. The dates are written on the inside of the voice coil formers. The worse diaphragm has the date "5/12/11". The slightly better one has "28-11-11".

I will keep you guys posted. As of now, my plan is to return them for a refund - regroup - and decide what to do next. I hate to go aftermarket. I really want to go with original JBL's (from what I've read on this forum). However, my confidence in their quality control is somewhat shaken right now. So, I'm going to take a little time and give it some thought.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sekess View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Yes, both boxes say made in Mexico. The dates are written on the inside of the voice coil formers. The worse diaphragm has the date "5/12/11". The slightly better one has "28-11-11".

I will keep you guys posted. As of now, my plan is to return them for a refund - regroup - and decide what to do next. I hate to go aftermarket. I really want to go with original JBL's (from what I've read on this forum). However, my confidence in their quality control is somewhat shaken right now. So, I'm going to take a little time and give it some thought.

Steve
    I would definitely not go the aftermarket route. My 2405s came with a set and neither did much above 12k and what was below that was pretty sad in terms of frequency and amplitude.
    Also, both `frams response were barely resembled one another.
    This is my second experience with aftermarket (Chinese) `frams, first being for 2416s which were equally crap.
    You may be better off getting some NOS d8r2405 instead of the current Mexican d16r2405 me thinks.
    Too bad Radian or GPA dont reproduce a 2405.

phrams

Hi Mike,
    Yea, I don't think I'll go after market. So, the D8R2405's are the new old stock ones? I'll have to keep an eye out. But, i don't recall seeing that part number on Ebay that often. Of course, i haven't been looking all that hard either.

Thanks again,
    Steve

update

Ok,
    Here's the update on these things. I sent these guys bask to the distributor with a long letter and I finally got a full refund. Just yesterday, I receive a package from JBL with another 2 new diaphragms. I did not order these things. They sent them to me in error. Anyway, I took a look at them. One seems ok. The other one has a raised lead where it should be glued down - just like the others. I will say this as well. Even the "good one" doesn't look that great. They are both going back tomorrow. Compared to the (older US made) blown one that I removed, these versions are junk. On the old ones, you can barely see the glue. They were meticulously put together. These Mexican phragms are ridiculous.
    I have seen 5 recently - four were sent to me and the other one was a picture of a new one on Ebay (I think it's still listed on Ebay). Of those, only one did not have noticeable defects. And as I alluded above, I'm not that confident in the one I'm calling "good".
    I cannot believe that these thing will yield good and consistent results. If the manufacturing is so shoddy, how can these yield repeatably good sounding diaphragms.
    I am totally at a loss here. I have almost zero confidence in these things. The after market phragms have tested poorly here. So, I don't know which way to go. It would be nice if some aftermarket firm started producing quality replacements.
    Anyway, that's where I'm at - just where I started.

Steve

I'll sell you a pair of new good ones, several years old still in the boxes. Shoot me a PM.

I only have one pair, they are Steve's if he wants them, so please don't clog my PM box asking if I have anymore.

Thread Information