Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Altec A4 questions

Altec A4 questions

I have a friend who recently bought a theater in central New York and there are a set of 3 Altec A4 speakers with horns that we dont know much about.

What was the msrp on these?

Reasale value? They sounded amazing hooked up to a Crown MT600 before being moved out of the theater.

There were 5 until 2 were disassembled so that the 3/4 plywood could be used elsewhere (doh!......)

I actually have the 4 Altec 515 speakers that came out of the 2 speakers that were disassembled. Could I build a cabinet somewhat smaller with these and have an enjoyable speaker at home? ( I have some Klipsch HeresyI that I love).

I am working with a couple of local resellers and am looking for whatever info/help I can get so as not to get burned. The money recieved from the sale will all be reinvested into the theaters restoration that they have come out of.

Thanks for any help
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Ya, these are worth a bundle of loot. If you intend to sell them, pull the woofers and list on ebay. Be prepared to ship overseas. The cabs will also sell even with pick-up only. Do you still have the wings? If the woofers are early enough, that is with red, white, and blue "hollywood" labels they'll fetch even more. You probably have N500D crossovers on these, which can bring $600+ a pair. What horns/drivers do these have? They're worth a lot as well.

The 515 is a terrific speaker in my opinion. Easily the most efficient woofer Altec offered. Phenolic spiders. Cones are designed to be replaceable in the field by the operator. Not that I'd suggest doing so, but if you wanted a better bass response you can recone these as a 515B. These were designed specifically for bass horns so I don't know how well they'd perform in other applications.

If you intend to convert the theatre to digital sound, do not be fooled into thinking you need newer, high powered JBL's. You have 3, so you have your screen speakers, and they will blow away typical 4648's, etc. I had this same deal, however I did sell mine for enough to fund a complete JBL screen array, dual 18" subs, and 12 8333 surrounds so if you need the loot these will do it for you.

Wht disassemble?

Why take these apart and sell? Why not sell as a complete set? The horns are 288C on 30210 (for whatever that means....). I have hooked up my Crown MT600 and they sound amazing.

There are also 2 horns, model 30162, as well as 4- Altel 515 woofers. Is there anyone out there that knows of a decent cabinet design that is half the size of these in the pics that I could build and put in my house? Or is this just an unreasonable thought?

I have searched and searched and these speakers seem to be something really special.

What is a reasonable asking price for the 3 complete A4 and 288C horns?

Quote Originally Posted by mlr View Post
    Ya, these are worth a bundle of loot. If you intend to sell them, pull the woofers and list on ebay. Be prepared to ship overseas. The cabs will also sell even with pick-up only. Do you still have the wings? If the woofers are early enough, that is with red, white, and blue "hollywood" labels they'll fetch even more. You probably have N500D crossovers on these, which can bring $600+ a pair. What horns/drivers do these have? They're worth a lot as well.

The 515 is a terrific speaker in my opinion. Easily the most efficient woofer Altec offered. Phenolic spiders. Cones are designed to be replaceable in the field by the operator. Not that I'd suggest doing so, but if you wanted a better bass response you can recone these as a 515B. These were designed specifically for bass horns so I don't know how well they'd perform in other applications.

If you intend to convert the theatre to digital sound, do not be fooled into thinking you need newer, high powered JBL's. You have 3, so you have your screen speakers, and they will blow away typical 4648's, etc. I had this same deal, however I did sell mine for enough to fund a complete JBL screen array, dual 18" subs, and 12 8333 surrounds so if you need the loot these will do it for you.

>>Why take these apart and sell?<<
    I'm not advocating you do so.

>>Why not sell as a complete set?<<
    You'll not get anywhere near the value of the individual components when sold as complete.

>>The horns are 288C on 30210 (for whatever that means....).<<
    288C = the compression driver model. 30210 = horn throat. The horn is the multi-cell attached to the throat. How many cells are on these horns, and are the horns solid across the top/bottom, or can you see the full trumpet (or whatever it's called) of each cell? Makes a big difference in value.

>>Is there anyone out there that knows of a decent cabinet design that is half the size of these in the pics that I could build and put in my house? Or is this just an unreasonable thought?<<
    You can build, or buy A5/A7 cabinets which would be very nice.

>>I have searched and searched and these speakers seem to be something really special<<
    In my opinion they are. They're not rare, but are getting very difficult to obtain, and very expensive.

Pictures of the components would help ID these. FYI: 3 A4's together (including the wings, and 1 805, 1005, or 1505 horn) become an A1.

A4 pictures..

If you would be interested in seeing pics I could email you a whole bunch of what I have taken.

The horns a 10 cell and solid body (if you would call it that).

Difficult and hard to obtain? And expensive? What is considered expensive? I have no idea.....

.......and btw I appreciate the time and input you have made here.

Cheers, ~CK

No sweat, don't have anything better to do.
    The horn is a Tar Filled, and either a 1005, or a 1003. Based on the horn, I think these are very early. Nice find.

If you send the pics, I'll try and help you id, etc. If you include the horn dimensions it would help.

[email protected]

You might want to consider posting your questions (and photos) about these speakers on the Altec User's Board. There are former Altec Lansing contractors and former Altec Lansing employees there and other experts who could really give you a lot of info on these. They are gems, and can certainly be put in smaller cabinets and fine tuned to be excellent home hi fi speakers. People there discuss this sort of thing regularly (as well as their resale value). Here's the link:

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...ers-board.html

Posting a few pictures there of the horns and woofers/cabinets would get you some excellent advice/info as that board is dedicated exclusively to vintage Altec Lansing gear and is populated by Altec aficionados. BTW, I've gotten some nice Altec assistance here as well as this board is dedicated to both JBL and Altec....

Lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an awesome find!!! If you feel all tingly inside it's ok, It's normal. Glad to see them saved.

They are most likely 1005's (10 cell) horns the others are 805's (8 cell). The 30210 is the throat adapter number and that is for a 1005 the 30162 is for the 805 horns.
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Why not just keep them in place? I don't get it. It's a movie theater and those are the best movie theater speakers ever.

Better yet, why not just move them into your house, sell all your chit to make room and enjoy. You have a major piece of history there.
    4333As, Valencias

I appreciate all the input friends. The choice to sell them was not mine. The theatre has a performance stage and 2 movie theaters. Its the Uptown Theater in Utica, NY. A very nice place and the owner wanted to get rid of them mostly because of how much room they take up.

.....anyway, they have been sold. Someone drove from Detroit on literally a moments notice and made an exceptional offer. He will either enjoy them a whole bunch or has a market to resell them.

Thanks once again for the help here and I will definetly be heading over to the Altec chat to discuss refurbishing the Altec Vott A7 speakers that I acquired out of arranging the sale of the A4 set.

Cheers, ~CK

Fianally I have been searching for weeks for a back inside view of an A4/210

I am building a speaker box similar to the VOTT 211 . I am going to make it 10" shorter , maybe 27" wide because I am only loading it with a 21" sub , and may do it 47" deep because I have been doing hard research and seen that the A1 was 46.5" deep . plus I want to get it thru door ways . I was going to do a 210 but the top seems unused . Any tips ?

Quote Originally Posted by christoj1969 View Post

Thanks once again for the help here and I will definetly be heading over to the Altec chat to discuss refurbishing the Altec Vott A7 speakers that I acquired out of arranging the sale of the A4 set.

Cheers, ~CK
    IMHO you got a fabulous deal there.Your speakers are actually A5's,288B's with 1005's and 515 woofers. N-500-C crossovers.All original parts. Nice !
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Thread Information