Page 99 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

80sKid
    Hey TiDome,

Any further plans and/or progress on the PS250ti Project (a.k.a. L250ti with PS drivers).

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    Hey TiDome,

Any further plans and/or progress on the PS250ti Project (a.k.a. L250ti with PS drivers).

Actually, I just got one of the missing pieces two days ago via FedEx, so now I need to find the time to break out the table saw, router, and jig to fabricate the Tweeter mounting plates. As cool as the cardboard ones are, they're not exactly durable solutions.
    Out.

80sKid
    I hope you'll share some pics in the near future.

Why would "we" want to say that?

I should think that JBL maintained or improved the product, not degraded it. Sure, Harman engages in cost-cutting regularly, but I can't imagine them doing so at the cost of performance, when doing an update to an existing model line.

My S38 II speakers sound extremely similar to the original S38 models that I also have. I have not A/B'd them, so this impression is based on hearing them with a separation of a few minutes to do the swap. (Plus, I was listening in my basement, not in my usual listening room, so the conditions weren't ideal.)

I was tracking this and thinking about buying them. While maybe not as low as some hear claim to have paid, 425ea. is the best I've seen on the bay in a while.

Personally, I'm not quite prepared yet to convert my Lseries HT, which I've put a lot of energy into building and tuning, into this upgrade, as much as I want to. I thought about getting them just to play around with but honestly the 80Hz required crossover was the main thing since I couldn't run them pure two channel without some kind of funky one sub rig which would not balance right without the PS1400s
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

80sKid
    Amazingly, they did not sell. Zero bids on the auction.

Even more surprising, since it was a deal compared to the listings by the seller "moviepassage". That seller has two auctions for new PT800s -- $700 for a single, $1300 for a pair.

Usually, having a simultaneous auction like that helps "your" lower price auction to look very attractive.

Decide to try my first PS foray in to 2 CH. only. Dragged the beasts up from the basement HT and into the living room with no comment from the wife upon her return. Told her I wanted to bring some holiday tunes into the living room on some decent speakers. She likes holiday music. Fait accomplit.
    Now for some listening.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mike,

How's that working out? As I wrote before, those PS1500s look great.
    Out.

What a difference an ear makes

As I mentioned in the K2 S9900 thread, Roger Dressler of Dolby Labs fame (retired now) came to my house with an AVS buddy of mine who introduced us. he wanted to see/hear the Synthesis® One Array system as chronicled online, especially after seeing the calibration curves.

After we were sidetracked by the K2s for a few hours (see that thread) and he solved almost all my issues regarding equipment and set up, we were going to go downstairs, but had to pass through the Performance Series set, which Sanjay (AVS bud) loves, so of course we stopped to listen to it. Roger loved it, but...

He felt it could be better. So, being the ProLogic, ProLogicII and PLIIx guru he is, he and Sanjay politely took over the system and started fiddling. They loved the sub/bass synergy of the HTPS400s and PS1400s, and after a cursory look, left it alone, (Good job there, Grumpy.) though we had to digress on multisub configuration theory for a while.

Anyway, using a special disc he brought, he reset the balance in the five channels, then started working on those things I never touch because I never know what they're for: panorama, center width, etc. Oh my gosh, did he open that system up! The soundstage got much wider and deeper, the accuracy of placement for instruments and voices was off the charts, and the soundfield was amazingly fluid and unified.

Of course, the guy is a genius, and he's a very down to earth and friendly fellow. I really appreciated him using his good ears and decades of experience to dial in that system. As I wrote in the K2 thread, he commented about the PS, "This is one of the best systems I've heard. I love direct radiators. These are perfect for me. It sounds the way I want music to sound." Later he added to Sanjay, "I felt like I was home with that system." Well, technically, since he tweaked it it was kind of the way it sounded right to him, but it sounded right to me, too, so it was high praise indeed for the Performance Series.

When he left at the end of the day, he gave me the disc he had been using with his compliments. He was first class all the way.

Who says the internet doesn't bring people together?
    Out.

Mike Ronesia
    It sounds like you had a educational experience. It's nice to hear you have so many exceptional systems even the legends are impressed. Did you ever make it down stairs to Synthesis® One Array system?

Living where I do the internet has brought me friends from all over the planet. They're not all guru's but one is a nudi expert.

Now, what's on that disk of yours?

I'm starting to get the itch for a couple of black PS1400's

I moved the pair quite a bit further apart than in the photo, and toed them in a bit, as well as pulled a bit mroe out from the wall; it's really sounding pretty good. The room is decent; the high peaked ceiling helps. Nothing too bad going on that room. Now I have to spend some time tuning it by ear. And yes, the rig acquits itself nicely on the aesthetic front, in person. The subs are a good match to the factory tops. My wife hasn't said one word, which is a bit unusual for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Mike,

How's that working out? As I wrote before, those PS1500s look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ronesia View Post
    It sounds like you had a educational experience. It's nice to hear you have so many exceptional systems even the legends are impressed. Did you ever make it down stairs to Synthesis® One Array system?

Living where I do the internet has brought me friends from all over the planet. They're not all guru's but one is a nudi expert.

Now, what's on that disk of yours?

I'm starting to get the itch for a couple of black PS1400's
    Hey Mark, it's been a while! Hope all is well.

You find 'em, I'll get them to the freighter for you.

Yes, we made it downstairs to what he called, "Not just a pants-flapping experience, but a shirt-flapping experience as well." He commented that it made his system seem like it had no impact and that the Two Jims sound seemed effortless and limitless. I'll do a more complete commentary in the Synthesis® thread, I guess. If I can find it; it's been a while.

Coming back to the States for a visit in 2011?
    Out.

Roger is a regular and much appreciated contributor at AVS.

I can't remember what the makeup of that PS system is. PS1400 stacks or what? I was thinking it is 2x PS1400 stacks with some HTPS400s on the side.

Mike Ronesia
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Hey Mark, it's been a while! Hope all is well.

You find 'em, I'll get them to the freighter for you.

Yes, we made it downstairs to what he called, "Not just a pants-flapping experience, but a shirt-flapping experience as well." He commented that it made his system seem like it had no impact and that the Two Jims sound seemed effortless and limitless. I'll do a more complete commentary in the Synthesis® thread, I guess. If I can find it; it's been a while.

Coming back to the States for a visit in 2011?
    Thanks Doug, I'll keep my eye out for a deal. I've been messing with my setup, switching from small/lfe to large depending on what is playing and doing some tweaking but only so much I can do with my current tools and talent. All good fun though.

Not sure what the future has in store for us as far as travel but my guess is unless work sends me somewhere for training it's not going to happen. We're going to the Philippines next week with some friends. That drained the travel budget for awhile. If I do get to socal you will hear from me, that much I know.

PS250 Update

Hey TiDome,

Well, the fire got a little fuel today.

I picked up a pair of BSS FDS-336T Omnidrive Compact plus units for a very reasonable price. These are barely used units that were tested briefly to see if Synthesis® systems could be calibrated without the extra expense of custom-built SDECs. The short answer was, "No."

We'll be looking at the prospect of four-way active quad-amping of the PS250 for the Frankenstein's monster of all four-ways. Grumpy will read up while I wait for his signal on the brilliance/stupidity of this idea.
    Out.

Performance series--why 4 subs?

Doug,

I don't want to go through the entire 99 pages of the thread to find the answer, can you please clarify again why you need to augment the PS1400 subs with the HTPS subs (?)...in order to make things great with this set-up? I've read it in this thread that you're using 4 subs, right?

are the 1400's not enough to support the PT800s?

cheers
    mel

Thread Information