Page 98 of 143 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Congratulations! Those Ti domes look nice wherever they are.

At my recent JBL demo day at my house, there were still a couple of guys who preferred the Performance Series above anything else. I have to admit, there are days I just like to relax into their familiar and greatly satisfying sound.

But of course there are other JBLs in the house that require listening, too.

Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
    I set up my Performance 5.1 system. I upgraded from the HT series. I have four PT800s, one PC600 & three HTPS400s. I had to replace all five of the tweeters in the PTs & PC as they were not the originals. They all had tweeter number 050822. I found four S26 tweeters ond one S310 tweeter on ebay. This system has exceded my expectations. Thanks to Ti Dome for this thread or I would never have heard of them. This is a picture of the front stage.

http://images.blu-ray.com/htgallery/65824.jpg
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

At my recent JBL demo day at my house, there were still a couple of guys who preferred the Performance Series above anything else. I have to admit, there are days I just like to relax into their familiar and greatly satisfying sound.

Enjoy!!
    not hearing the PS in 2CH to compare to the other systems directly is my one regret. The PS series MCH experience still has me really considering that upgrade, but since the vast majority of my listening is still 2CH want to know how much more rewarding it would be than my current situatoin
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    not hearing the PS in 2CH to compare to the other systems directly is my one regret. The PS series MCH experience still has me really considering that upgrade, but since the vast majority of my listening is still 2CH want to know how much more rewarding it would be than my current situatoin
    That would have been simple enough to do--the press of a button on the remote! The ease of doing that notwithstanding, it would have been odd to try to listen to them as a stereo pair with the K2s right nearby. I've yet to do that comparison myself, and I walk past both systems every day.

Maybe the next time I impose on Grumpy to come down and do some measuring on the K2s I'll let you know and you can join in on the joy and pain if possible.
    Out.

Enjoy!!
    Thanks Doug. I am definitely enjoying them. And, due to your thread, I know more about these speakers than any I have ever owned.

That would have been simple enough to do--the press of a button on the remote! The ease of doing that notwithstanding, it would have been odd to try to listen to them as a stereo pair with the K2s right nearby. I've yet to do that comparison myself, and I walk past both systems every day.

Maybe the next time I impose on Grumpy to come down and do some measuring on the K2s I'll let you know and you can join in on the joy and pain if possible.
    what is considered the fair market value for a pair in VG to Ex condition? and for the PS1400....the ebay sales seem to be all over the map and completed listings show nothing

Based on the failure rates of the PS1400 documented recently here, I'd expect the resale value of the PS1400s to fall rapidly in the future. And broken ones will probably start showing up for parts. And probably bring the PT800s down with them. I think that I paid 1100 for the pair of mine, used. But I don't think I'd pay that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Based on the failure rates of the PS1400 documented recently here, I'd expect the resale value of the PS1400s to fall rapidly in the future. And broken ones will probably start showing up for parts. And probably bring the PT800s down with them. I think that I paid 1100 each for mine, used. But I don't think I'd pay that now.
    thanks Don, you mean you paid 1100 for the PS1400, not the PT800, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    thanks Don, you mean you paid 1100 for the PS1400, not the PT800, correct?
    Correction,
    I just double checked my Paypal account. I paid 1100 for the pair of PS1400s, 800 for the pair of PT800s.

The most I've paid for a PS1400 is $450 and the least is $285. My average purchase price is $355. These were all NIB. With a lot of luck, I was able to get all four amps fixed/upgraded this past spring. My hope is for long years of service. With the changes at Northridge, this has become an order of difficulty harder to do.

The most I've ever paid for a PT800 is $415 and the least is $180. My average purchase price is $285. These were a combination of NIB and used. I've had one TM025 tweeter fail.

The most I've ever paid for a PC600 is $450 and the least is $250. My average purchase price is $328. One came damaged in shipping and was nearly a total loss, with the cabinet and both 906Ti drivers damaged beyond saving. The TM025 went to replace the failed driver in a PT800, and I sold the network and various bits to a forum member at a loss.

The most I've ever paid for an HTPS400 is $450 and the least is $250. My average purchase price is $380. One BASH amp failed and could not be repaired; no replacement was available.

That covers all the Performance Series gear that I consider "original" prior to the expansion of the line to an incomprehensible mish-mash of odd parts renamed from other JBL lines.
    Out.

thanks very much for those details, that is extremely helpful guidance that I certainly will use as I start scouring the auction sites, etc. Right now I see a pair of PT800 with a starting bid of $850 which I originally thought good, but considering the most you've paid is $415 not the bargain I thought.

it's funny how may here and AVS went specifically from 90's L's to PS as I'm considering. The main reason I didn't go straight to the PS last year was the need to couple separate units to get a full range "speaker" and I wasn't keen on that....plus the L7 is just such huge bang for the buck and the fact I already had L5 gave me an instant HT to boot.

I've never sold a speaker, or any audio component, so that is prolly my biggest challenge in terms of doing a full changeover

Wink JBL s312 tweeter.

Can we say that the original tweeter found in the JBL 312 is better performer that the JBL s 312II tweeter??

Another thing is....can someone recommend me a good set of tweeters for my JBL s312 ???? I am pretty supre got to be a better tweeter somewhere. Can you guys guide me to the right direction? I am looking to upgrade the tweeter to a better one.

Thanks.

Gio

PT800. Sometimes it was a slight variant: 335663-002.

If it were me, I keep an eye open on ebay (or elsewhere) for an original S Series speaker (or pair) that's seen better days or is being parted out. Grab it cheap, and get the part you need that way. As you've seen, S**IIs won't do—wrong tweeter, and neither will a PC600 or PT800—much too expensive.

If you can read French, you can monitor ebay France and look for an Audax TM025 but you still won't get an EOS Waveguide with it. That's why grabbing the part from an existing speaker is likely to be the better way.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Gioxtream View Post
    Can we say that the original tweeter found in the JBL 312 is better performer that the JBL s 312II tweeter??

Another thing is....can someone recommend me a good set of tweeters for my JBL s312 ???? I am pretty supre got to be a better tweeter somewhere. Can you guys guide me to the right direction? I am looking to upgrade the tweeter to a better one.

Thanks.

Gio
    A big issue in the S312/S312II is the crossover, not so much the tweeter. The tweet in the S312 is crossed over at 3K, which is too low and causes distortion at higher levels. In those models where it's crossed over at 3200-3500, much less trouble is heard.

Thanks.

Gio

PT800. Sometimes it was a slight variant: 335663-002.

If it were me, I keep an eye open on ebay (or elsewhere) for an original S Series speaker (or pair) that's seen better days or is being parted out. Grab it cheap, and get the part you need that way. As you've seen, S**IIs won't do—wrong tweeter, and neither will a PC600 or PT800—much too expensive.

If you can read French, you can monitor ebay France and look for an Audax TM025 but you still won't get an EOS Waveguide with it. That's why grabbing the part from an existing speaker is likely to be the better way.
    [/QUOTE]

The S26, S38, S310, S312, PT800 & PC600 all have the same Audax tweeter. I had to replace all five of my Performance Series speaker tweeters. You can find S26 on Craig's List for about $100. I got a S312 tweeter from a damaged speaker on ebay for $40. I have not heard of a better tweeter replacement.

80sKid
    Don't know if any of you will be interested, or see this posting in time. But there is an auction for two PT800s on that infamous auction site. Ends in 1 hour. Currently has no bids with no reserve and a starting price of $850 for the pair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:WNA:US:1123

FOLLOWUP: Oh, I see now that the auction was already mentioned and this isn't an amazing deal like I thought. I'm subscribed to this thread so I don't know how I missed these recent discussions.

Is anyone with Performance Series speakers in the NY/New England area? I'd really like to hear them.
    Last edited by 80sKid; 11-03-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: followup

80sKid
    ...Can we say that the original tweeter found in the JBL 312 is better performer that the JBL s 312II tweeter??...
    Why would "we" want to say that?

I should think that JBL maintained or improved the product, not degraded it. Sure, Harman engages in cost-cutting regularly, but I can't imagine them doing so at the cost of performance, when doing an update to an existing model line.

My S38 II speakers sound extremely similar to the original S38 models that I also have. I have not A/B'd them, so this impression is based on hearing them with a separation of a few minutes to do the swap. (Plus, I was listening in my basement, not in my usual listening room, so the conditions weren't ideal.)

Thread Information