Page 92 of 143 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Mike Ronesia
    From where I sit I can lower the tv and still have it clear the PC600. It is lower then it was before and does not bother me at all. The top of the PC600 is level with the seating and below head level when not reclined. I wouldn't want it any lower the that, I have too many chins to look that low for extended periods. I'll give it a few days until I get the track for the wires and then drop it 4" or so. Right now my back is a little sore.

Magic trick

For this evening's magic trick - I am going to make every single PS1400/PT800 stack owner look at the binding posts of their speakers.

How, you ask?

Well, I picked up a new AVR today and was running Audyssey to see how it worked with the new P series setup. It pointed to a phase error on the right speaker, which I found quite odd. After checking just about everything else, I noticed that the binding posts on my right PS1400 were backwards.

I removed to amp to get access, color coding of the wiring matched the binding posts, but the mounting plate itself was rotated 180 degrees. I had never even checked this as the decking arrangement essentially error proofs this. But sure enough, it was backwards, meaning the decked PT800 was in fact out of phase. Text is supposed to be to the back of the PS1400... pick below shows the backwards original installation.

This is the 2nd time I've found such an issue, first time was on a brand new Boston Acoustics VRC center channel that came wired backwards from the factory.

JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Slare View Post
    For this evening's magic trick - I am going to make every single PS1400/PT800 stack owner look at the binding posts of their speakers.
    You could be right, and yours does appear to be bassackwards. FWIW, I get phase errors on my Yamaha processor all the time and then run it again and get none. Those setup routines are not checking electrical phase, but acoustic, so they get fooled a lot. Checked my stacks and they look correct.
    Someone must have reversed the posts on yours, cause the plate cannot be turned.

The binding posts mount to a MDF plate held to the cab with four self tapping screws. Was an easy matter (after removing the amp, of course) to just rotate the plate 180 and order was restored.

It wasn't obvious to me as the PS1400 was still in phase, but having the PT800 out of phase had to have had some pretty noticeable impact on fine imaging and soundstage.

The fella I bought these stacks from was upgrading to Swans. I have to think this little swap up is going to make those seem much, much better in the imaging department.

The binding posts mount to a MDF plate held to the cab with four self tapping screws. Was an easy matter (after removing the amp, of course) to just rotate the plate 180 and order was restored.
    The logical assumption might be that the amp was replaced at some point and the terminals swapped. Hard to fathom something like that getting past MFG QC.

Mike Ronesia
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    The logical assumption might be that the amp was replaced at some point and the terminals swapped. Hard to fathom something like that getting past MFG QC.
    That would be my guess.

I get phase errors on my Yamaha processor all the time and then run it again and get none. Those setup routines are not checking electrical phase, but acoustic, so they get fooled a lot.
    This is the 2nd receiver I've had with the MultiEQ XT and it has been right identifying this and a previous Boston Center as having assembly issues - despite my stubborn denial both times. So if it is consistently happening I think it is worth checking with other methods or tear into the speaker in question.

Out of laziness I used the THX tool to check first, not wanting to pull the PS1400 out (not to mention apart).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ronesia View Post
    That would be my guess.
    One would think so, but I had this same experience with a PS1400 that was NIB. It was as plain as day; the thing had been put in backwards.

I thought it was a one-off mix up, but I see that it happened at least twice now. Who knows how many others there might be? :dont-know
    Out.

I HATE TO IMPLICATE THIS BUT CHEEP LABOR AND OUTSOURCING IS TAKING A TOLL!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

I think this plate mixup could be somewhat common because if you think about it - being able to read the text facing the front (woofer side) of the enclosure is actually the reversed/wrong install position. So I can very easily see how anytime a new guy was assigned to build these things, that mixup could happen.

I mean, I know TDome has about 50% of the PS1400's in the States, but it still seems odd to have two of us find the issue.

How many were built? Couple thousand, if that? Can't be that many.

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    I HATE TO IMPLICATE THIS BUT CHEEP LABOR AND OUTSOURCING IS TAKING A TOLL!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai
    Really?? They are built where?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

80sKid
    Unbelievably, a PC600 just sold on ebay for less than $350.

I didn't see it until the last minute. But I wasn't that bummed, because my A/V cabinet can't accommodate that width.

(I'm actually thinking that I will work towards having three PT800s across the front, because my cabinet can fit one of those as a center speaker.)

There are also two pairs of PT800s on ebay right now. Starting bid price is 900. (Unfortunately, I don't personally have the money for even one pair right now.)

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    Unbelievably, a PC600 just sold on ebay for less than $350.

I didn't see it until the last minute. But I wasn't that bummed, because my A/V cabinet can't accommodate that width.

(I'm actually thinking that I will work towards having three PT800s across the front, because my cabinet can fit one of those as a center speaker.)

There are also two pairs of PT800s on ebay right now. Starting bid price is 900. (Unfortunately, I don't personally have the money for even one pair right now.)
    Certainly not a bad way to go. I used 5 PT800s, all round, before I moved. And will be doing it again in about 5 months when I get all my gear shipped to Ecuador.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Sometimes I just don't understand eBay. Two PC600's sold in the past few days, one at $380 and one at $760. Both auctions ended at non-ideal times. I'm not complaining (guess who got the $380 one) but really, how the heck does this happen? I just don't understand how the end results can vary so wildly.

Not that anyone is terribly interested but I have placed a WTB in marketplace (kinda low at $800) standing offer for two final PT800's in black. If anyone has extras just taking up space, let's talk.

Mike Ronesia
    Sometimes I just don't understand eBay. Two PC600's sold in the past few days, one at $380 and one at $760. Both auctions ended at non-ideal times. I'm not complaining (guess who got the $380 one) but really, how the heck does this happen? I just don't understand how the end results can vary so wildly.

Not that anyone is terribly interested but I have placed a WTB in marketplace (kinda low at $800) standing offer for two final PT800's in black. If anyone has extras just taking up space, let's talk.
    I find it crazy as well. Nice catch for you though.

Thread Information